Syndicate (the original)

With all the talk of a Syndicate remake, I decide to grab the 1993 original yet again and run it in Dfend Reloaded (a very good DOSBox front end) to see what all the fuss is about. Over the years I've installed it occasionally and not gotten very far into it. This time I READ THE MANUAL (this helps) and am a few missions in. It's fun but hardly hardcore strategy, so I can see the dev remake's point of view. Actually, I think a Brothers-in-Arms style system would be ideal for a remake.

For anyone who's played it, can you tell me is the research function too easy? I had assuming that research was done in parallel while away on missions. However, one can start research and simply leave the Research window open to complete the research. Rinse and repeat. I've managed to level _all_ agent augments (Brain, Heart, etc) up to level 3 already after capturing only 4-5 states; their income is enough to complete all the research required.

P.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    It's a long time since I played it so can't be sure but I think the enemy agents will level up as you do. So you having V3 everything means they will be similarly tough.

It would be great if someone could clarify this because it has been a long, long time.

So you having V3 everything means they will be similarly tough.
    Really? Oblivion-style levelling? Ugh. Not sure of the point of it then. Does the same apply to weaponry as well?

Cheers,

P.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Enemy agents only level up with you on some missions, particularly the early ones. If you don't research, you'll soon find yourself hopelessly outgunned and outclassed.

Did you really just sit there doing nothing for hours on end so that the research would complete? How incredibly tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Enemy agents only level up with you on some missions, particularly the early ones. If you don't research, you'll soon find yourself hopelessly outgunned and outclassed.

Did you really just sit there doing nothing for hours on end so that the research would complete? How incredibly tedious.
    No no, I went away and made a sandwich. :) Each bout of leveling only takes a minute or two, actually. The fact you can do it in real time, and that you earn cash from tax in real time, struck me as odd. (Reminded me of Fable, where you earn rent from properties in real time _even when you're not playing_. So, leave the game for a few months, go back, and you're a squillionaire.)

P.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    As I said, I really can't confirm anything. Trust sinister agent over the snippets of memory I still retain from that time.

As for the research being like it is, think of it as an extra difficulty adjuster for the earlier levels. If you're finding the game too easy and that bores you, then don't research everything like you are. However even with full V3 gear, miniguns, gauss launchers, sniper rifles and laser guns some of the later missions are going to make you cry. That's when the tactics become more apparent and you have to plan like a motherfucker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Hm. It was possible to do that at the time, but it'd take hours without using cheats. Perhaps emulation has sped up the passage of time or something (as I recall, it already moved at different speeds depending on which screen you were on).

I think one of the big deciders was the researching of miniguns - until you research the minigun, many enemy agents will carry uzis for the first dozen missions or so. Then you'll try a mission where they carry miniguns, and be wiped out.

Also note that if you haven't researched a weapon, you can get a free 50% bonus to research by stealing one during a mission. That also allows you to research advanced weapons out of order.

I do recommend you don't exploit the research though. It makes the game much more fun.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Hm. It was possible to do that at the time, but it'd take hours without using cheats. Perhaps emulation has sped up the passage of time or something (as I recall, it already moved at different speeds depending on which screen you were on).
    It could very well be something to do with the emulation. I remember back in the day when I played Syndicate that research took forever, but when I recently played it in DOSBox I found it worked in the way oceanhub described - leave the game running so the latest research finishes before you go on the mission. I didn't totally abuse it, just used it so I could finish the research I wanted before going on the mission as opposed to researching EVERYTHING in one fell swoop.

But yeah, the game is definitely action-strategy or action-tactics - action focused rather than strategy focused. It might seem easy now, but in later levels balancing your agents load-outs, positioning and drug levels while enemy agents are charging at you with miniguns blazing can be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanclub View Post
    It's fun but hardly hardcore strategy, so I can see the dev remake's point of view. Actually, I think a Brothers-in-Arms style system would be ideal for a remake.
    My concern isn't the fact that they're making a FPS out of it, my concern is that they're making an FPS out of it while seeming to discard the things that made Syndicate great for me back in the day. There's no mention in their press-release of open cities to explore and subjugate, being able to tackle missions in different ways, or using research & development to help customise your agent's loadout. Those three things important in a Syndicate game as far as I'm concerned, and if they were going to be in the game they could have also made good bullet points in the first press release.
    I'm prepared to be totally wrong, but at the moment that's my concern.

Also, the fact that you're playing as an agent instead of as a handler is another hint that the developer totally missed the point. As others have mentioned around these parts I'm worried that your agent will uncover some information about his corporation that makes him question his job/existence and turn against the corp. Not only is "fighting the corporate overlords" a totally overdone concept, but it's not Syndicate.

Anyway, this discussion has played out in at least 2 other threads, but I don't think I've had a chance to explain why I'm wary.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...