Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Civ 5

Activated Node

Civ 5

So I mentioned a while ago about hoping to have a Civ 5 game. Pretty much for who ever wanted to join and I am just trying to find out if there any interest? I understand that we currently have an EU4 game running but as I understand that will be going for quite a while yet. So I just want to know who is interested.. Hell we could even do Traitors Vs Giraffes or something.

Might be interesting, if we were to do it what speed would we run it at as on quick we could probably do it in one sitting.

Also if we're doing it I want Poland. Those Winged Gunsneckts and 7 free social policies.
    Last edited by jaggedmallard; 27-05-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Network Hub
    I'm interested, but busy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Unlike EU4, I actually know how to play Civ 5 so would be up for this. Bagsy Elizabeth or Kamehameha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm interested, but only have the base game. If the expansion came up for sale, I wouldn't mind getting them though.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    You need Brave New World in your life, it must be on sale somewhere the games been out quite some time now.
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    You need Brave New World in your life, it must be on sale somewhere the games been out quite some time now.
    Yeah, from what I've seen the expansions are more or less necessary (that's a big reason why I haven't played the game since... it came out more or less). I will make sure to keep an eye out for it.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Kind of interested in this, since our EU4 game had me hankering for some Civ5 in general then realising how much more fun it is when you know the people who are murdering you.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Unlike EU4, I actually know how to play Civ 5 so would be up for this.
    I can imagine Civ might be a lot more brutal and unforgiving than our EU4 match, since everyone does know how to play there could be fewer punches being pulled.

Anyway, how does multiplayer Civ work, with the turns and everything? Is there some sort of simultaneous turns option that still respects turn-based unit movement? How long would you see a game taking? Are we actually going use the Adventure Time mods, in which case dibs on Princess Bubblegum?

Activated Node
    Well as far as the civs going I was thinking just going entirely random. That could be done with either the in game function or picking them from a hat. As far as speed I was thinking standard or possible the one longer then it but not marathon... And I had not planned on using any mods.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Roranor View Post
    As far as speed I was thinking standard or possible the one longer then it but not marathon... And I had not planned on using any mods.
    This sounds good. Especially if there's a chance of people getting knocked out, then it might be nice to have each game only last a few sessions. Then it won't be the end of the world if you get stomped, and can join the next game in a couple of weeks.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Activated Node
    I agree. We would need to select a day.. And out of curiosity does anyone know how many people can be in a single game?

I suggest a max of 8, depends on city states.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Apparently 8 is the highest you can get for it to be stable and City States are pretty much a necessity for it to be fun.

Problem with Random civ selection is someone might end up with a really bad Multiplayer civ like Venice.

To the person who asked how multiplayer Civ works, everyone takes their turn at the same time and when everyones done you press end turn and it moves on the next turn. Unless you're playing against the AI in which case all of the humans take a simultaneous turn and then the AI does it as normal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedmallard View Post
    To the person who asked how multiplayer Civ works, everyone takes their turn at the same time and when everyones done you press end turn and it moves on the next turn. Unless you're playing against the AI in which case all of the humans take a simultaneous turn and then the AI does it as normal.
    Ah cool. Simultaneous move turns is a bit interesting, but that sounds good.

Activated Node
    The thing about picking civs is that I don't think we should be able to pick the same civ as someone else. So I figure maybe if we have 8 people then each one nominates a civ.. Possibly excluding Venice. And then I will draw them from a hat or something. To be honest I would kill for the Shoshone.. :P

I take it this would be the sort of thing that would require having played the game - or at least that sort of thing - before (by the sounds of it)?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Though I dearly love Civilization V, I feel I must bow out of this one. I don't even have enough time for playing as much Planetside 2 as I want to nowadays. :\
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    I take it this would be the sort of thing that would require having played the game - or at least that sort of thing - before (by the sounds of it)?
    I haven't played civ 5 since the launch (have watched some let's plays of it though) and still want to join. So I'm hoping that it will be fine even with a very little amount of experience with it.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedmallard View Post
    Apparently 8 is the highest you can get for it to be stable and City States are pretty much a necessity for it to be fun.
    I meant, 8 players, depending on amount of city states. usually, you want atleast 3*player amount.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Activated Node
    Okay so were looking at 8 players. You don't really need to be experience in the game but in ideal circumstances understand how to play. 24 city states on an Epic game on a huge map. Probably a completely random map...