Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Civ 5

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Why was random map shot down?

Think Earth map was suggested by someone, but I do think it takes away the whole aspect of exploration, not knowing what other people's countries are like or what is around the corner.

edit: Just looked back and it seems that standard continents was suggested as an acceptable, non-broken, generated map. Also just realised you were using 'random map' to mean a randomly picked type of map, thought you meant any map with randomised terrain.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 04-06-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Activated Node
    No no map with randomised terrain is fine just the random map really can benefit some civs a lot more then others. Sure you know your self.

Just looked at the basic map options and I feel that maybe Pangaea would be a decent choice.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Roranor View Post
    Well a random map has been shot down as has archipelago due to giving an advantage to civs like England. So any suggestions?
    One should never give an advantage to england.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    Steam: Dominicus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Awesomeness!! I was just looking for good deals on the expansions. Will we need any other expansions than Gods and Kings and Brave New World?
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well, I bought Gods and Kings and Brave New World. If any other expansion is needed for the multiplayer game, please let me know.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Activated Node
    I think BNW and G&K will do fine.

Network Hub
    The only thing the other expansions add are either new Civs (read the details if you think you'd like them, they're pretty cool), scenarios and world gen settings (other randomized maps to play on, some are nice to have but not that important).
    So for any multiplayer fun you should be set!

Activated Node
    So the this game swift approaching I figure we should figure out a time to being at. Any suggestions?

So, I know its a bit late, but is there still any spots left ?
    Just noticed that I do infact can join you guys.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Roranor View Post
    Any suggestions?
    7:30pm British/Irish time? That's when the EU4 games are scheduled to start, think that's when StratGir is officially supposed to start. Tried and tested, seems to work. Just a suggestion though.

Activated Node
    Yeah sure Avaa no problem you just need BNW and G&K

7:30 works for me

Activated Node
    All Civ stuff on steam at 75 percent off

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    7:30 sounds good. Can we also try to make sure to be on time everyone? There's definitely a trend of not starting activities on time, so it'd be nice if we can get as much gaming time as possible. Especially when there's not too too many of us.

By the way, how about updating the first post with information about times and the like, and perhaps a list of people playing (maybe even with civs if we copy the eu4 threads completely)?
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Activated Node
    In that case we need to do a draw for the civs. So I figure we take all the civs and everyone eliminates one or two civs. After that everyone is assigned a number the numbers go into a hat and the first number out gets first pick etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Are we doing random civs then? Or are we picking civs ourselves, and in case several people want the same they can solve it in a peaceful way (i.e. knife duel) in ps2?
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Could just pick first and second (and third?) choices, see how it pans out. Personally I don't expect to be very competitive, will probably go for a more interesting civ over something that is just supposed to be strong. Or we could ban civs that are seen as definitely OP?

Activated Node
    Well the thinking behind it is that this way we can eliminate civs which are that bit too much. But still maintain an element of random selection. This basically avoids someone taking dibs on Attila or Poland etc and also means that you can also eliminate some civs which you see to be underpowered. This kind of removes the element of entirely personal gain and replaces it with a feeling of "Oh shit if I don't eliminate Attila someone else might get him to use against me" Which I feel will lead to a much more balanced game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Personally, I would prefer it if we went with Rizlar's suggestion of banning OP civs (or civs that we just don't think are fun to play) and then everyone says a couple of civs they would want to play as. That way, it's easier to plan what you want to do (so if you want to go with a cultural victory, you can take a civ that can do that, etc.), especially for people like me who haven't played the game very much. I will probably have time to get familiar with a civ or two, but not much more than that and it'd be nice if I don't have to learn what a civ do while playing the game.

And I also plan to just go with a civ that seems interesting and fun to play, rather than "the strongest possible".
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't mind going the random route, but basically what Sir Hoc said about picking something relevant to your goals. Like, if I ended up getting Shaka or Theodora it would be pretty awkward. Could just roll with it anyway but they really wouldn't suit how I play.