Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finding A Comfortable Headset

I need a new gaming headset.
    I had a Plantronics (around $60) for about 8 months before the hard plastic headband snapped in half. This happened because the darn thing felt so tight on my head that I was constantly pulling at it, in an effort to relieve the pressure on my poor little brain.
    Because of that, I have only been reading reviews of headsets that look comfortable.
    I've narrowed it down to 3, which I have listed below.
    I am not adamant that it be one of these 3, but, as I've mentioned, they look comfortable enough, are within my price range ($50-80) and have gotten decent reviews.
    I'd sure apppreciate any feedback or suggestions that you-all may have.
    Mucho Thanks!

1. Plantronics

2. Turtle Beach

3. Steel Series
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Unfortunately, I can not attest for any of those, but...
    Have you tried looking at Sennheisers? I find them rather comfortable. And really good.

Activated Node
    I had a similar struggle for years trying to find something comfortable for my head. Most recently I bought the ASUS Orion ROG Gamer headset and I love it .... I can wear it comfortably for hours on end (I listen to music while working with it on and forget I even have it on).

Sennheisers and ASUS Orion ROG.
    Will most certainly check them out.

Thanks! :-)
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have the SteelSeries Siberia V2. It's a great headset - comfortable (although you should note that the cans really cut out background noise - you won't hear other things around you). Good quality on the mic and headphones (although not up to good HiFi phones, true). My probably with it is that the mic on them is really, really unreliable. My first pair had to go back within about 6 weeks, as the mic died. The mic started playing up after another 3 months on the second. Never got around to taking it back and now, years later admittedly, the mic only works when it's nowhere near my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    I have the SteelSeries Siberia V2. It's a great headset - comfortable (although you should note that the cans really cut out background noise - you won't hear other things around you)... the mic only works when it's nowhere near my mouth.
    Actually, for some reason, I prefer to have the mic away from my mouth. As for not really hearing what's going on around me, though.. I probably shouldn't detach myself, that much, from the real world.
    I know, once I put them on, I'd never take them off.
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I use the steel series. I find them excellent, and overall they are pretty robust given the wear and tear they go through. The last pair I had lasted around 2 years before they gave up the ghost, but they were pretty much in constant use both for work & play. Where as most over headsets I found tended to die after 6 months.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

I had a Plantronics. It broke after about 2 years of use. Headband plastic just snapped in half. Wasn't impressed with the audio quality either. But then again, it was cheap.

I don't think I'll get another, though. I kinda have my eye on a Siberia.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    I have a Roccat Kave headset. It's nice, but heavy. Also the cable has started to fray and you get a LOT of interference from other devices e.g. mobile phone.

In future though? I'd buy a nice pair of headphones and then get an external mic. This: http://www.modmic.com/ is meant to be amazing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I recently got two sets of Steel Series for my wife and myself. They're extremely comfortable. The other night, after my wife had finished gaming and was just browsing the web, I asked her why she was still wearing her headset. She laughed and said she forgot she even had it on. The mics sound great too. My friends told me it gave my voice a Barry White-level of sensuality which was alarmingly seductive, for what it's worth.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    I have a Roccat Kave headset. It's nice, but heavy. Also the cable has started to fray and you get a LOT of interference from other devices e.g. mobile phone.
    In future though? I'd buy a nice pair of headphones and then get an external mic. This: http://www.modmic.com/ is meant to be amazing.
    Interesting concept, Cephas. I've never seen anything like that.

I'm at work right now and was wondering what the hell I was gonna do on such a slow night.
    Now I know... I am going online shopping. Gots alot to to look over.

Thanks Everyone!!

"Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    I'm not sure sticking a magnet onto your headphones is the greatest idea...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Real talk. Get headphones and a quality boom mic. Better, more durable, cheaper.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I'm not sure sticking a magnet onto your headphones is the greatest idea...
    It's teeny tiny - I expect it would be perfectly fine.
    http://www.vanillatf2.org/2012/01/an...-and-giveaway/ did a test (as I'm not overly well versed in interference but that review seems to suggest it is a non issue).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moms View Post
    Actually, for some reason, I prefer to have the mic away from my mouth. As for not really hearing what's going on around me, though.. I probably shouldn't detach myself, that much, from the real world.
    I know, once I put them on, I'd never take them off.
    If hearing things around you is actually a concern, there are two types of headsets: Open and closed. Open allows more sound to go trough the headphones (which is both better sounding and more comfortable IMO) whilst closed makes you retreat into your own world. AFAIK, the Sennheiser PC 320 is open whilst the Sennheiser PC330 is closed.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by moms View Post
    I need a new gaming headset.
    I had a Plantronics (around $60) for about 8 months before the hard plastic headband snapped in half. This happened because the darn thing felt so tight on my head that I was constantly pulling at it, in an effort to relieve the pressure on my poor little brain.
    Because of that, I have only been reading reviews of headsets that look comfortable.
    I've narrowed it down to 3, which I have listed below.
    I am not adamant that it be one of these 3, but, as I've mentioned, they look comfortable enough, are within my price range ($50-80) and have gotten decent reviews.
    I'd sure apppreciate any feedback or suggestions that you-all may have.
    Mucho Thanks!

1. Plantronics

2. Turtle Beach

3. Steel Series
    I bit the bullet and bought the red mad catz freq 7's...I love em

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Our last two headsets were the Logitech wireless G series and Steel Series v2. Aside from the Steel Series usb plug being crap, it works fine but required extension cables to make it useable Logitech Wireless are great. Good sound, no problems.

I'm on my 2nd pair of Speedlink Medusa 5.1 surround headphones. They're reasonably inexpensive and hard wearing. Also very comfortable, as I much prefer over the ear headphones and these have nice soft cloth pads. The boom mic is also very flexible and long enough so that it can be positioned a good distance away from the mouth, or close by, which ever suits. Had my current pair for over 2 years and they're still going great and I expect them to last few more yet.

As for the sound, well they sound good to me, but then I'm not a picky expert audiophile.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Krathor's Avatar
    Throwing my voice behind Sennheiser. I have the PC 320 which are probably a little out of your price range but they are very comfortable and the whole 'mutes if you lift the mic' feature is pretty cool too.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I'm on my 2nd pair of Speedlink Medusa 5.1 surround headphones. They're reasonably inexpensive and hard wearing. Also very comfortable, as I much prefer over the ear headphones and these have nice soft cloth pads. The boom mic is also very flexible and long enough so that it can be positioned a good distance away from the mouth, or close by, which ever suits. Had my current pair for over 2 years and they're still going great and I expect them to last few more yet.

As for the sound, well they sound good to me, but then I'm not a picky expert audiophile.
    Yeah, I've got a pair of these too. They are very comfortable to wear for long periods and not too expensive. On the downside though, they don't have quite enough bass and I find the 5.1 surround effect ... questionable. The surround sound seemed ok in the demo software but in games I can't really notice it much.