Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar

Vintage solid-state audio?

I don't know how much appeal that this will have to anyone here, but I just fixed up a 1978 Yamaha CR-1020 receiver. I sprayed a deoxidizing solution in all the knobs and switches, blew out the dust, and replaced 5 front panel lamps. I've been running my computer audio through it for years, but I've always had intermittent problems with static and one of the channels cutting out... Now it's working perfectly and it sounds AMAZING! I'll put some pics up if I remember. Depending on my expendable funds in the coming months, I may look into building my own wooden enclosure for it (the original is nice, but I wish it sat flush with the front panel) in something nice like Rosewood or Red Oak.

Anyone have similar equipment? How do you rout your sound? I just broke a pair of Denon AH-D2000 headphones so I'm gonna have to run out and buy a new screw for it this week too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    onboard sound card on my laptop :P and 10 dollars headphones. Yeah. Im hardcore :P

and yes please post pics so i know what the hell you are talking about :)

Nice. Old tech can certainly have a certain je ne sais quoi about it. Here's something from my Imagery > Electronics folder:

Sony D-555 Discman released in 1989.
    Last edited by Rii; 16-09-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Network Hub
    I've got a Sherwood S-7100 that my seventh-grade teacher was otherwise going to throw out. That thing is a beauty - gorgeous piece of work. It looks like this. Big ol' knobs and switches, wood panelling. Works perfectly, too. I've got a late 80s Sony CD-player and an early 80s Kenwood turntable plugged into it. I've got a big FM aerial too, but I live in a basement apartment, so even so I only get two or three stations. I've only got it hooked up to a pair of shitty old vivid speakers directly. They manage halfway decent sound, but I did loot them from the dump, so I don't expect much out of them. I really ought to clean the knobs, though, as some of them, l-r balance especially, are starting to act up. And really, all of the above was free, so I can't complain too much. Not that I would want to, because it all works fine.

To really get it going I hand it off to my Denon beast which drives the 7 channel Paradigm speakers. None of which has anything to do with my PC, which has some mid-end Audigy inside and gets to drive my Sennheiser HD... 555s? Yes. Those headphones. Well, unless it's media centre time, in which case the sound card has a digital audio which goes back to the Denon.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Solid state audio? No way, tubes are the only way to go :P

Not vintage, solid state or anything to do with computers, but anyway- this is what's inside my guitar amp-

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Sort of off-topic, but in the vein of audio gear: My father has 3 or 4 large moving boxes packed with 78, 33, and 45 RPM records going back more then 50 years. His record player / receiver combo bit the dust sometime in the 80's and the space it and the speakers took up was needed, so the hardware was all pitched. Now the only music he has is a clock radio that plays a few CD's and the satellite radio in his truck, which he loves. I've been wanting to find a record player for him, but it's almost impossible to find one that plays all 3 RPM's and either isn't wildly expensive audiophile level gear or so cheap that I know will have poor sound and risk damaging the records. Any suggestions for a nice mid range setup including 2 speakers for under 200 bucks or so?

My old man has a late 70 B&O reciever and turntable. When I go visit I always play something in his extensive classical music selection because the sound is just so incredibly rich and warm. It's difficult to go back to mp3s after that.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.