Hybrid View

Network Hub

Any other RPSers playing EU Vindictus?

Vindictus, the Source based action-MMO, has finally hit Europe and has left beta, so thought I'd redo this OP.

This be an action-MMO type thing which is essentially a scrolling brawler on a big scale. You choose a fighting style in the form of a present character, customise them, then run through stages. It runs off of Source and has physics for throwing things around the room, air combat, and hilarious boob physics. It also offers voice chat and looks quite pretty. Probably at least worth a crack until it gets repetitive.

have a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoJhHfEH0U4

Right now the current avaliable characters are Lann, a straight up damage dude, Fiona, a more balanced melee character with more defensive capability and Evie, the caster. Coming futurely are Karok, a big melee guy with a tree, and some archer dude who nobody outside of Korea knows much of yet.

The basic flow of gameplay is that you get a quest or several, then run whatever dungeon is associated with the quest. Each dungeon has a story arc associated with it, and once you conclude the arc you open up the next dungeon. Like a scrolling brawler, dungeons involve running through killing trash then killing off a bigger enemy. There are raids, but unlike the WoW school of raids they involve one or two rooms then a REALLY big boss, the first of which being a massive polar bear. You can roll with 4 in dungeons, or 6 in raids, so there's plenty of scope for playing with friends or just random people. Quests also have various modifiers you can add to spice things up or just make things harder, and also have sub missions for bonus rewards. There's a title system which involves doing wacky things such as kicking everything to death that rewards you with stat boosts, so it's well worth doing if you can.

There doesn't seem to be a need to be anal about character choice, everyone can deal damage to bosses so it depends more on personal skill than anything. Evie's always going to be useful just for rezzing and healing, though.

People from RPS playing this:
    RPS name - In-game Character - char name
    Cosmicolor - Fiona (SallyforthII), Lann (TINYBABYMAN) and Evie (Herbmistress)
    Williz - Lann (Williz)
    DarkFenix - Fiona (DarkFenix), Evie (NuclearPidgeon).
    Last edited by cosmicolor; 05-10-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Obscure Node
    I'm currently playing aswell, just started making my way through Ainle. Character name is Williz if anybody would like to add me.
    Love the boss battles, specially having to break stuff off them such as the Rage helm or Savage eye.

Network Hub
    I'll add you on SallyforthII, now that the game has gone into open beta. If there are enough players we could perhaps think of forming a guild, but that takes a lot of time and in-game money to do.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've been playing it a bit too, it meets my expectations of a Source engine MMO. A proper physics engine adds a nice twist to the tired old MMO formula. Not got far yet, but I'll get round to it sometime.

Oh and my character name is DarkFenix.

Network Hub
    Ooh, according to the Facebook page for the EU version, we're getting Evie tomorrow. I'll definitely be joining the inevitable Evie rush assuming she doesn't get delayed or something.

Obscure Node
    I was quite surprised that the game ran on Source if I'm honest, but damn it runs well, the physics work and it looks good. So no gripes other the the occasional bug that's got through somehow (End of Dungeon status report not showing up, kill counters on quests / titles not updating until you relog)

Network Hub
    So I rolled an Evie today, and she's kind of funny. Seems to be, at least at low level, even less effort to play than the other two characters, her M1 is like a machine gun in a game of swords. The patch added a few other things as well, stuff like records for each run (ie most damage, most objects thrown, like you see in Left 4 Dead) and seemingly fixing the report bug at the end of each dungeon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I'm definitely going to have a gander around on the weekend. Does anyone want to join as and with a noob?
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Wizardry 8; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Network Hub
    I have a low-level character I can use to roll with you when you do play. Also it seems like with this patch the game is out of beta. At least, Nexon seem to consider it the final version now.

Slightly updated the OP to reflect the game's new launched status and added a list of players.
    Last edited by cosmicolor; 05-10-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I do want to play this, it's a matter of finding the time to do so. I can't believe it's been over a year since the US release.

Obscure Node
    Thanks Cosmic, think I'll try an Evie at the weekend.

As such my current character name is Williz

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've just rolled an Evie today, I'm not sure what to make of her relative to my Fiona. Certainly much easier, I'm not sure how sold I am on the magic in Vindictus though.

Incidentally my Evie is named NuclearPidgeon.