Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Activated Node

Sony removes right to join Class Action Lawsuits

Link to article

Is this a new low? Is it even legal? They really seem to be screwing the consumers in a way I've not seen before, removing their right to join a class action lawsuit, unless they apply for the right in less than 30 days after receiving the new update.

Quote Originally Posted by Norskov View Post
    Is this a new low?
    For Sony re: Playstation? Nah. Removing the capability to run Linux from already purchased systems would be the nadir there.

Mind you'd I'd like to hear some informed opinion on how likely this new provision is to stand up in various jurisdictions...
    Last edited by Rii; 17-09-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Pretty sure that’s not binding. There are laws in many counties which protect consumer rights.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    An arbitration clause in a EULA? The fuck?

As far as I know, the only bits of a EULA that have ever stood up in court have been copyright related. Licensing, resale, that sort of thing. The notion of waiving basic rights in one is quite absurd.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    legal in usa since april:
    http://www.mobiledia.com/news/88457.html

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    I, for one, don't like this neo-feudalism.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I blame the Supreme Court for most things that are wrong in the world. At least for the past 11 years, starting when Gore would have been elected had they allowed a full statewide recount in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    I blame the Supreme Court for most things that are wrong in the world.
    Where's a WTF emoticon when you need one...

Hyperbole amuses me. Surely you should never take anything from an RPS commenter at face value.

But seriously, you look at the recent history of the US, and it all hinges on that 5-4 decision in Bush v. Gore. And they've made a fair few shitty decisions since then, propped up by Bush appointees.

I miss Bill Clinton. Good economy. Fewer wars. Better music.

But seriously, you look at the recent history of the US, and it all hinges on that 5-4 decision in Bush v. Gore. And they've made a fair few shitty decisions since then, propped up by Bush appointees.
    I think you're overestimating the Bush factor. I don't think the decade would've unfolded particularly differently under the Democrats. Smoother peaks and troughs perhaps, but the same general trends that are the manifestation of issues more deeply-seated than any one government. In the absence of resolution of those issues it could well be good that things come to a head sooner - whilst the United States is still reasonably secure in its hegemony - than later, when it isn't.
    Last edited by Rii; 17-09-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Afghan war was unavoidable. Iraq? Bush was manipulated into it by his people. With Gore it might have happened too of course but not necessarily.

If not the iraq war the world would look quite different today. Whether worse or better is unfortunately unanswerable question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    I think you're overestimating the Bush factor. I don't think the decade would've unfolded particularly differently under the Democrats.
    Two foreign wars, a decade's stagnation capped with a mini-depression, record stratification of economic classes, "corporations are people," wholesale dismantling of necessary government programs, astroturf initiatives by doctrinaire libertarians...

...I dare say it damn well would have. Most of this shit is the result of the Reagan Revolution in practice, and that places it squarely at the doorstep of the zealots of the former political party known as the GOP.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Have they found those WMDs yet btw?

If you've not seen it before I do recommend Adam Curtis BBC documentary 'The Power of Nightmares' (6 parts)

It's a few years old, but parallels the rise of the Islamic fundamentalists and the Neo-Conservatives. It's pretty interesting, especially the level of delusion that drove each group.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I like how this started from talking about sony taking away our rights to file lawsuits against them to criticizing american governments and the wars they did. How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    How does that work?
    The fact that this clause is (possibly) legal is a direct result of the political situation in the US, as Lukasz pointed out. Sony can't get away with screwing you unless the government lets them.

I really, really doubt it would hold up in most of Europe, where consumer protection is taken a bit more seriously.

The fact that this clause is (possibly) legal is a direct result of the political situation in the US, as Lukasz pointed out. Sony can't get away with screwing you unless the government lets them.
    This. We're fucked, and it's mostly self-inflicted.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I foresee a wave of attempts to export this law...

Activated Node
    "if the Class Action Waiver clause is found to be illegal or unenforceable, this entire Section 15 will be unenforceable, and the dispute will be decided by a court and you and the Sony Entity you have a dispute with each agree to waive in that instance."

Looks like they know it won't hold up in a lot of places.

Quote Originally Posted by wcaypahwat View Post
    "if the Class Action Waiver clause is found to be illegal or unenforceable, this entire Section 15 will be unenforceable, and the dispute will be decided by a court and you and the Sony Entity you have a dispute with each agree to waive in that instance."

Looks like they know it won't hold up in a lot of places.
    And yet they feel compelled to try. Apparently they feel it's not at all unethical to lie and cheat your way to the top.

So why, dare I ask, do us self-respecting gamers feel the need to take the high road?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Well its a moral thing, if you take the low road like these people are, are you any better then them really? You might say your doing it for the good of the people, but many horrible things have happened because people thought they were doing it for the good of the people. Just take the example of George Bush, I'm sure he thought he was doing it for the good of the people, which actually it was economically good for the people but only for a certain amount of time.

So yeah always try to go for the high road, it might not work as well as the big companies shady dealings but you know at least we don't get our name tarnished in the mud.