Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Super secret medal thread

I ... don't know if this link is going to work, but here is a small teaser to something I'm trying to throw together for RPS council members. I'll host it better than facebook later.

Pictured is the prototype.

The plan is to try my hand at painting this one, then touch up the model and print out one for each non-honorary member of the council plus Cooper (who is getting one due to his status as the founder, not due to council memberness, because it will make him happier. Details!).

I shall endeavour to progress quickly, because soon I will realise just how much work this is going to be, and then I will cry. In fact, I might not paint everyones', rather: the prototype and Coopers. The rest of you can rest assured that you probably paint stuff better than me.

It isn't perfect, the spots are a bit too thin (0.1mm) making them hard to see and paint, and it's going to be a pain to paint for a plethora of other reasons too. I've had to guess a bit on circle length and stuff, but I've identified a workaround and the next versions will be a closer match. I've considered taking a .tiff of the planet texture, importing it to <technical details withheld out of boredom> and getting out a 3D version, but it would be impossible to paint and give very little.

I've gone back and forth a bit on what kind of medal this is going to be. I think I've settled on a nobel-medal type, that is: not one you wear. Chief among the reasons for this is that fact that I've already got a frog to wear in the circumstances one would wear a giraffe, sooooo, stand it is. I'm thinking I might work the RTRS knife into the stand, such that they are stabbing us in the back.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, especially when someone points out that there a link to an .stl version RIGHT THERE just like every other resource I've looked for on this site.

Seriously.

Never start projects while manic.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    This is amazing mate.

Being a fan of props and making in general, its great to see our logo being made into something tangible!!

Took a crack team of dedicated members to get that final logo together, and now its being immortalised .

I know that materials probably arent cheap, but if you can muster, I would like to suggest you possibly make one for Rizlar, who had the largest hand in producing our logo (whilst I gently prodded him to do it :P).

(Maybe in the future as well we could see about me getting my hands on one, because id absolutely love to have a crack at painting it in our colours!?).

Anyway, great job man! Youll have to keep us updated on the process with lots of pics!
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

I will watch this process keenly with the hope that at some point I can throw money at you in the future so I can wear a giant giraffe medallion around my neck like a parody of a 90s rapper.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    This is apparently my daily reminder that you are awesome Grumpy.

That is all.
    Steam Profile - Ser Hoc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Shit the bed! That's amazing! Do you own a 3D printer then?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    Shit the bed! That's amazing! Do you own a 3D printer then?
    I do, but I haven't assembled it. I'm using the ones at work.

The plastic for the medal probably cost a couple of euro cent per medal, if that. The paint is citadel miniature paint, and probably amounts to a few more euro cent but it could be more. The biggest resource drain is the time spent painting. I have no idea how long that will take.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I do, but I haven't assembled it. I'm using the ones at work.
    That's pretty cool! I wish I had an excuse to buy a 3D printer but I really don't know what I'd use it for at home...
    Do you have anything you can put next to it to give a size comparison? Be interesting to see.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ahhh that looks amazing! I would be tempted to spray it gold and use a deep purple to pick out the giraffe or the background. Sort of like this,

Purple-Heart.jpg

As much as I would love to own one, don't worry about it. So long as we get photos of the first Council of Giraffes wearing them, preferably while looking extremely solemn and wearing spandex, that will be enough.

If it'll be giraffes painting them, is there any way to include just a plain bit of plastic to test colours and painting on?

Network Hub
    That wont be a problem.

In some ways I prefer the idea of leaving them blank for the giraffes to paint, purely so that we can see what each person comes up with :P..

Im surprised that it costs so little to print them! I really thought the liquid plastic would be pricey...

I have my own bunch of citadel/other brand paints from quite a while back when I used to paint the models. I also have a large number of tools and craft resources that I make loads of random shit with.

Recently made some boba fett themed stuff. Painted a canvas, made some fabric canvas things.

I would absolutely love to own a 3D printer, but they are out of my price range, otherwise I would have just stolen the files to print my own :P.

We should totally do "make this" kinda things more often, even if its nothing to do with RPS and video gaming haha.

I challenge you all to make the best origami giraffe you can.

Any takers haha?
    Last edited by BasicPauly; 05-06-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Network Hub
    A printer costs about the same as a computer, looking at a price comparison site: $500.
    My computer cost way more than my printer (although to be fair, I did assemble my computer a lot faster).

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    That's pretty cool! I wish I had an excuse to buy a 3D printer but I really don't know what I'd use it for at home...
    Do you have anything you can put next to it to give a size comparison? Be interesting to see.
    rpscoin01.jpg

I didn't have a banana. If anyone would prefer a wearable medal I can scale it down, although for stoopid I will obviously just add some ring-tethers so he can attach a gold chain.

Oh, and as for "what I'd use it for", I would go with "anything where the solution can be expressed as a shape".

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Challenge accepted!

origami giraffe.jpg

Here is my out of proportion, tailless, albino, origami giraffe which for some reason can only stand up without support on a chopping board.
    steam: gary the super elite hobo
    planetside 2: Gorncaptain

"Iím just giving of my body on the stage and putting my life at risk, literally. And I think about it. I think about my family and Iím like, wow, this is like being a police officer or something, in war or something." Kanye West

Blam!

giraffeorigami.jpg

'The Camelopard and the Crumpet' -

Inspired by Gorns inclusion of Warburtons Bakery products in his picture, my suitably shit attempt is scaled by 6 of the best from Johnathan himself... Or maybe Asda...
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar

Giraffigami by Paul. Sorry about the shitty photo quality.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Paul wins, hands-down! But for proof you did it, I will require a selfie of you and the giraffe. I hear selfies are all the rage.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

If you don't want to take selfie you could always place a packet of warburtons finest next to it, I still can't even begin to comprehend how difficult that must have been to fold though, the legs are especially nice.
    steam: gary the super elite hobo
    planetside 2: Gorncaptain

"Iím just giving of my body on the stage and putting my life at risk, literally. And I think about it. I think about my family and Iím like, wow, this is like being a police officer or something, in war or something." Kanye West

Unfortunately, I dont have a pack of warburtons crumpets, and im not much of a trend setter, so im totally not doing a selfie!

Im afraid you will have to take my word for it.

This particular origami model was a bit of a pain in the arse. The diagrams/explanations were a bit fiddly... There are plenty of squash folds and other tricky business that mean I dont really want to repeat this one, otherwise I wouldve re made it in yellow.

The horns also got a bit fucked up, as the paper was so horribly thick with all the folds!

Also...

The pose hes in kind of looks like hes having a poo...

I may pop up with other origami themed challenges in the future, if people are up for it :P

I want to see more giraffe origami though!