Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Pauly's is actually amazing. It has a face!!!!

Network Hub
    I love the origami, but put more of it in its own thread

a) because holy shit, that's awesome
    b) this thread has a topic, and it's about me bitching about how annoying our logo is.

Current state of project:

Converting the svg into scad (scriptable cad file) basically by hand, in order to get exact placement of everything correct. The method I used to make the prototype didn't keep center points, and getting the giraffe to line up with the planet curve was a bitch.

Unfortunately, the spikes use bezier curves, and openscad doesn't understand bezier curves natively. That and the fact that most of the detail is lost on print anyway is making me want to simplify the spikes by quite a lot.

Sorry, logo creators. I'm going to do horrible things to your baby.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Simplify away! I did think the spokes/spikes might be a bit rough for a medal anyway. Changing them to straight-edged diamond shapes would be good, but I wouldn't want to mess with the proportions or positioning. And you would probably want to keep the gaps between the spokes and the giraffe.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Would chopping the points off to be a bit blunt help?

would it not be easier to recreate the logo in whatever 3d program you use, using the logo as a template, rather than using the files as a direct import?

might enable you to bring back some of the detail, like the spots?

also yeah, I never intended to put more origami stuff in this thread so don't worry
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post

The pose hes in kind of looks like hes having a poo...
    Perhaps an idea for RTRS and their logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Perhaps an idea for RTRS and their logo

I double-triple-dare you to cross post that onto the Freedom Friday thread
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Lesser Hivemind Node
    One minor change C98foaD.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boffinboots View Post
    One minor change C98foaD.jpg
    Pretty weird entry point you picked there Boffin...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    Pretty weird entry point you picked there Boffin...
    jag's the one that posted a giraffe getting bummed by RTRS. That's what it meant, right?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    Would chopping the points off to be a bit blunt help?

would it not be easier to recreate the logo in whatever 3d program you use, using the logo as a template, rather than using the files as a direct import?
    For the spikes it may be easier to recreate them. The spots are pretty friendly.

Chopping of the spikes is unnecessary, the printer will make them less pointy as required during slicing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Actually I go back on something I said before - if you are redrawing the spikes, you may want to get rid of the gap between them and the 'raffe. Looks like you are making the VS logo the deepest part of the medal, in which case the contrasting depths might help the giraffe silhouette pop out more.

Whatever, rough example below where darker = further back, lighter = forward.

medal rough.jpg

Anyway I will let you get on with it now, look forward to eventually seeing the results!

I always liked the separation between the spikes and giraffe. It divides the image and keeps elements separate.

It also gives the impression that the logo and giraffe are on the same plane, which I like.

I think it would be best to keep it as close to the in use logo as possible, but naturally whatever makes this project easier is best .

Network Hub
    I've decided that the logo is a giraffe on a planet in atmosphere ringed in by purple.

Following color codes, the atmosphere and spikes are furthest down, the planet is slightly higher and the giraffe is slightly higher still.

The giraffe spots and purple are raised about 0.4 mm from the giraffe.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I've decided that the logo is a giraffe on a planet in atmosphere ringed in by purple.

Following color codes, the atmosphere and spikes are furthest down, the planet is slightly higher and the giraffe is slightly higher still.

The giraffe spots and purple are raised about 0.4 mm from the giraffe.
    What if it were in this order: Planet, Spikes/ring, Giraffe.

That way, the spikes and giraffe would stand out more. Also, the spikes would be thicker and therefore more structurally stable? I assume this would also make it quicker to print, because the inner planet section has more area?

Network Hub
    Structure and speed are not terribly relevant at the size I am planning on printing. I'll look at making the atmosphere level higher than the ground.

I should make sure to get another prototype printed on sunday... I've been giving too much time to shooting things lately and not enough making I think.

Haha. Ive actually been building a flat bottom rowing boat for fun (given, very slowly, over the past few years).

Its finally looking like an actual boat, with sides and shit... mostly needs finishing off, but its always a case of "eh, not enough hours left today".

Either that, or im playing games instead :P.

Network Hub
    Having fun: the bane of existence.

Network Hub
    While I'm waiting for the electronics to arrive for my own printer (which is going to have a double extruder, making it easier to print the medal in more colors which I think I might do, appart from the fact that tying up my works printers for lots of medals feel wrong) I've been putting together a better SVG export function.

Almost there:
    perfect.jpg
    It lives!

Seriously though, those spots. And the spikes. I hate them so much. I'm going to have to render them perfectly in order to properly express my hatred.

The spikes look weird, as you may have noticed, for 2 reasons:

a) STL only understands straight lines, so all the curves as approximated with straight lines. I will improve this next time by approximating them with lots and lots of straight lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Grumpy; 28-06-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Network Hub
    Rizlar, could you load up a version of your mockup above in .svg format, please?

When I think about it, I don't ACTUALLY want to spend 6 hours trying to fix all the problems arising from the heavy use of bezier curves in the original version.
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hehe fair enough. Did you want the spikes like in the mockup above, or with a gap between them and the giraffe, like the original logo?