Network Hub

Sudden graphics bug I can't seem to fix

Here are some screenshots:

screenshot_20141020-21-06-31.jpg

I have reinstalled my graphics driver, reinstalled the game, verified files (in client and steam). Yesterday the game worked fine. Today its unplayable. Anyone have any ideas?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Normally my go-to answer is a dying gpu but that looks nothing like it. And I have also never seen this before.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Network Hub
    Dying gpu is unlikely because:

-Computer is a few months old.
    -After trying to fix this problem I booted up Shadows of Mordor and played for some 4 odd hours flawlessly without slowdowns, and that game requires even more computer juice than PS2.
    -Technically, the game is playable in this state. It doesnt crash, framerate is constant.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It really looks like corrupted assets. Weird.
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by notenome View Post
    Dying gpu is unlikely because:

-Computer is a few months old.
    -After trying to fix this problem I booted up Shadows of Mordor and played for some 4 odd hours flawlessly without slowdowns, and that game requires even more computer juice than PS2.
    -Technically, the game is playable in this state. It doesnt crash, framerate is constant.
    time to reinstall PS2 I think, to see if that corrects the issues.
    What is this coffee that you speak of...
    The War Princess. Z2.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by notenome View Post
    I have reinstalled my graphics driver, reinstalled the game, verified files (in client and steam). Yesterday the game worked fine. Today its unplayable. Anyone have any ideas?
    He has.

I suppose if you uninstall the game and reinstall it on the exact same place on the HD, which happens to be broken, you could get this issue. Mostly it looks like you didn't actually manage to verify the files, which is insane (but, then again, SOE).

I'd go with official forums on this one.
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Have you tried installing the game outside of steam?
    Steam: gary the super elite hobo
    Planetside 2: Gorncaptain

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken."

Network Hub
    DON'T validate the files with steam as it's borked. official word is:

"Steam users, please avoid using the Steam Validate files feature for our game. Their validate feature does not properly calculate what needs updating and could potentially delete up to 3GB of files that you will then need to re-download. We know some of you are playing in countries where you have caps on your monthly download limits and we want to save you unnecessary downloading where possible.

If you feel your game assets are damaged or corrupt you should only use the Launchpad Validate Game Assets feature. You can find it by clicking the gear button on the left side of Launchpad. This function will accurately ensure that all of your game data files are in tact and up to date."
    Origin guvornator69
    Steam guvornator
    Planetside 2 DavidGan1x - Come admire my terrible KDR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Yea never validate PS2 with Steam, it messes up the files.

I think I had the same experience once, where level geometry would seemingly "grow" into my screen somehow lol, and would not stop at all.

It's definitely some kind of bug, maybe this is the same issue you're having now. I'm not sure what caused it, I thought maybe the bug was quashed earlier. Maybe some files have gotten mixed up with the Steam check.

Network Hub
    Well, I have found a fix: Alt-tabbing. For some weird and mysterious reason, alt-tabbing out of the game and then back fixes the issue. I have no earthly clue why it works, but it does.