Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Updating from windows 8 to windows 8.1 - is it quick easy and painless?

Has anyone updated from 8 to 8.1? IF so, how long did it take, and was it a simple process, or did it involve reinstalling software / drivers etc? Any compatibility issues?

I read some wording a while back that implied I might have to reinstall my 'legacy' software - IE non-metro apps. I'm not keen on that idea. In particular, getting Adobe CS2 installed on win8 was a major hassle, that I can't be assed to repeat again. Does it uninstall/lose any software?

Obscure Node
    Can't guarantee anything but nothing of the sort happened while I did it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    I read some wording a while back that implied I might have to reinstall my 'legacy' software - IE non-metro apps.
    That doesn't happen - think of 8.1 like a service pack under a different name. If it works with Win 8, it should work with 8.1. It's not a radical underlying change. When I updated, nothing was uninstalled and nothing broke. Hypothetically if the installer did find something that absolutely didn't work with the update, you'd be notified of something like that before the install went ahead... but to my knowledge there's no such issue, if it installed under Win8 nothing in 8.1 suddenly makes it break.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks guys. That's what I was hoping. I'd assumed it was like a service pack, but then I read a few things that made it sound like they might uninstall incompatible stuff. Glad to hear that's not the case. Now I just need to work out if my ageing and unsupported laptop drivers will still work with 8.1. AFIK Ati/amd doesn't have a driver for 8.1, but it seems like you can trick the drivers into installing on it. More investigation needed... oh I love PC hardware/drivers ;-)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh. How long does the upgrade take btw? Minutes? Hours? Do I need to set aside a whole day?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Oh. How long does the upgrade take btw? Minutes? Hours? Do I need to set aside a whole day?
    Mine took about 45 minutes. Problem is, however, you may encounter some driver issues here and there so a day or so of after work is usually necessary.

The download took longer for me than the install - it just goes and does its thing, mostly unattended if I remember correctly. Maybe an hour of waiting around? After that it's fine, I didn't have any issues like Squirrel had.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    My ATI Catalyst keeps crashing after the upgrade. I know that such issues are not supposed to occur. I don't know if it's MS or ATI's fault. I update ATI Catalyst but no luck.

But from my experience of upgrade of SP during XP's days, those issues are not uncommon.

My friend has an AMD GPU on 8.1 and he doesn't have any issues.

Then again, I've always hated the Catalyst drivers, I've never liked them and I've always found them to be a pain in the arse to deal with. Perhaps you could try ripping them out completely and installing the latest one fresh?