I keep getting port scanned

What do I do? My firewall keeps blocking port scans and afterwards my internet speed goes down to 0.10mbps...that's 10bytes! I'm on "up to" 30mbps Virgin Media although speeds fluctuate wildly and average is under 20 normally. It was a struggle just to post this in here, it's like the old days of 56k dial-up again! I have BitDefender Total Security 2014.

some routers let you turn off responding to Pings, which I think is a good place to start. You can still be port scanned, but default behavior for port scanning software (such as nmap) is to respond that the server is down if it doesn't respond to pings.

Obscure Node
    Port scanning goes on all the time. There are all sorts of nasties out there on the internet that probe random IP addresses for weaknesses to exploit. If your firewall is blocking them, it's doing its job. I'd expect it to be the firewall on your router that does the blocking though, not something at the PC level.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soopytwist View Post
    What do I do? My firewall keeps blocking port scans and afterwards my internet speed goes down to 0.10mbps...that's 10bytes! I'm on "up to" 30mbps Virgin Media although speeds fluctuate wildly and average is under 20 normally. It was a struggle just to post this in here, it's like the old days of 56k dial-up again! I have BitDefender Total Security 2014.
    If it's bad you might ask VM support if you can get your IP address changed. Assuming you're on their cable service the "dynamic" ip addresses aren't all that dynamic. Your speed slipping away to nothing might suggest you're being DDOSed as well. Do you game online? It's not unknown to pick up a stalker who wants to wreck your pings.

Also, don't rule out a simple technical fault - which gets you back to VM support. The port scanning and the speed drops could be entirely unrelated.

FWIW I think VM tech support are great. Used them half a dozen times and they always sorted me out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    FWIW I think VM tech support are great. Used them half a dozen times and they always sorted me out quickly.
    Really gosh. My experience with VM support has always been the complete opposite. Doesn't matter whether its problems with my phone or TV, terrible. That's when you eventually get through to someone of course, after having to run their gauntlet of menus, after having been told to hang up and check the website first. I dread having to ring them for anything.

Oh yeah, I should add, the speed of my receiving emails dropped dramatically, so that even plain text mails took ages to download. Everything else was fine, even sending mails. Just rebooted the modem in the end. Problem sorted. Always worth a try. Usually it's my old Netgear router that hangs up and causes trouble, but this time it was the Virgin kit.

Oh and if you're not using one, I'd highly opt for a hardware firewall in the form of a good router, instead of a software solution.

I don't know which Virgin modem you have, but it should be able to do all the firewall shenanigans. In my setup it runs just as a modem as I have my own router for all that.
    Last edited by Chaz; 09-06-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by soopytwist View Post
    IP change, though most ISPs do not offer this. I know of a forumite (different forum) who actually left their ISP for another as the only solution to preventing their (semi-pro/semi-home use) Email server getting ports scanned into a massive 100 bill (packets = bandwidth = excess charges).

So I really hope you find a solution... :(
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What is your ip?

Maybe I can fix it from here with nmap.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    What is your ip?

Maybe I can fix it from here with nmap.
    via Imgflip Meme Maker

Or possibly:

But I know nothing of nmap... perhaps all the network techs and ISPs use it...
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    nmap is really cool. Cool people run it wth root permissions, so that you can increase the flood rate.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Are you sure the problem isn't that the portscan is finding a vulnerability and then using your bandwidth for something?