Network Hub

Pirate Party set to capture seats in Berlin Parliament

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...e-for-win.html

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,15396744,00.html

The Pirate Party is expected to get about 9% of all votes in the Berlin city-state parliament, thus capturing seats in the parliament.

They're campaiging on civil rights, free access to technology, freedom of information, and against breaching of privacy (cameras, body scanners) and overly strict copyright laws. Their general agenda can be found here (in German).

It's an interesting political evolution, and perhaps the first time a party that is clearly based in internet culture (and dare I say, modern culture) is making such big splashes. With similar parties rising in many countries all over the world I can only hope it's only a beginning - their agenda is a lot more appealing to me personally than any of the traditional parties, for one.

Also, on a less serious note: I'm starting to feel like we're living in one of those Alpha Centauri FMV vids now. ;)

I predict that they get 2% of the vote.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    The thing about the pirate party are they really bad at speaking and coming up with their aims and why piracy isn't all that bad. They need better PR and a better name!

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    I tend to prefer Die Linke on most current issues, at least judging by the breakdown on the Berliner Morgenpost website. I'm happy to have the Piratenpartei around and grabbing headlines, though.

Alas, we Ausländer can't vote. Yet?

Obscure Node
    We had a pirate party trying to win seats as well, in the Netherlands. However, they didn't manage to get any votes because of absysmal PR and a lack of knowledge of politics. Hope yours fares better!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by BobsLawnService View Post
    I predict that they get 2% of the vote.
    Just in: 8,5% of the vote and in parliament! Not sure how many seats yet though. :)

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    I tend to prefer Die Linke on most current issues, at least judging by the breakdown on the Berliner Morgenpost website. I'm happy to have the Piratenpartei around and grabbing headlines, though.

Alas, we Ausländer can't vote. Yet?
    I hope EU citizens living in Germany can vote for state elections soon.

It's 8.9% now for the Pirates, and the FDP (neoliberals) are definitely out of parliament. The counting is almost complete.

http://www.wahlen-berlin.de/

It looks like there won't be quite enough for a red-green coalition (which I would be pretty happy with), so it could get a little interesting.

No, that's wrong, red-green should have just enough seats:

http://www.morgenpost.de/berlin/abge...-Umfragen.html
    Last edited by TillEulenspiegel; 18-09-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    It's 8.9% now for the Pirates, and the FDP (neoliberals) are definitely out of parliament. The counting is almost complete.

http://www.wahlen-berlin.de/

It looks like there won't be quite enough for a red-green coalition (which I would be pretty happy with), so it could get a little interesting.

No, that's wrong, red-green should have just enough seats:

http://www.morgenpost.de/berlin/abge...-Umfragen.html
    Red-Green-Orange (Pirates) would be pretty great...

Heh, and even openly called pirates is really cool.

Anyhow, there are a tonne of good spokespeople for hackers and technologists, they just need to get these on board. (as they usually ask for sensical things, like privacy etc
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Rinox View Post
    Red-Green-Orange (Pirates) would be pretty great...
    If F'hain-Kreuzberg were representative of Berlin, Green-Left-Pirate would form a strong progressive majority.

Alas, we're not representative.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    We'll end up with a grand coalition between CDU and SPD. That won't tell any of you foreigners anything, but think American terms if the Democrats and Republicans suddenly both find themselves without the majority, and decide to form the government (not the opposition) together.

Yeah. It'll be as crap as that sounds. *sighs*
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Wizardry 8; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Mal gucken. It would be a rather sharp change of direction for Wowereit to ally with the CDU. He's implied that it's dependent on how much the Greens are willing to compromise ("Es gibt ein paar harte Punkte, wo die Grünen sich eindeutig bekennen müssen, eine Politik für die Entwicklung dieser Stadt zu machen").

I'm never optimistic about politics, but a grand coalition would mean a lot of compromise from the SPD, when they'd probably have a more willing coalition partner in the Greens.

Ahhh, Berlin. SCHWELLENLAND!
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    This sounds rather interesting. Sehr gut.

The Pirates were so unexpectedly successful, they don't even have enough candidates on the list to fill all the seats they won:

http://rbb-online.de/themen/dossiers...iden_doch.html

That's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinox View Post
    Just in: 8,5% of the vote and in parliament! Not sure how many seats yet though. :)
    Wow, I stand corrected.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Speaking as somebody who is not at all informed on this, it kinda sounds as if a political party actually managed to mobilize disaffected 20-somethings to vote, which would be something special indeed.

And in that frame of thought, I fully expect the Weed, XBox and BitTorrent Party to launch here to great success.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Speaking as somebody who is not at all informed on this, it kinda sounds as if a political party actually managed to mobilize disaffected 20-somethings to vote, which would be something special indeed.

And in that frame of thought, I fully expect the Weed, XBox and BitTorrent Party to launch here to great success.
    It helps that they're using mixed-member proportional representation rather than first-past-the-post/plurality.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pmh View Post
    It helps that they're using mixed-member proportional representation rather than first-past-the-post/plurality.
    You euros and your parliaments...
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen