Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Assassins Creed Brotherhood MP

Serious, I am in love with this game. Its real time, but you don't aim. The skills needed are judgement, timing, planning and style. This is in no way a twich game, patience is a real virtue here I'm Heliocentric85 on the ubiservers.

Cue video which makes the game look terrifying

I actually meant to post this in "Game Clubs And General Sociability Ok"

I played the hell out of it, but it got increasingly hard to find games. Is it more active again?

I play ranked on the evenings in the UK and match making is usually less than a minute, but if RPS had a group that would certainly help.

Hm, might have to try again. I almost exclusively played Assassinate though - which gamemode(s) are you playing?

!!! I loved the multiplayer, but then my computer blew up and I didnt reinstall..
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Ooh, I'll have to read up on the game modes, ranked often defaults to wanted, which I like because it difficulty scales (do well get hunted by lots, do badly don't get hunted, in the middle you might only have one after you but you'll be competing for your prey).

well, that video was confusing.
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Quote Originally Posted by ntw View Post
    well, that video was confusing.
    But will it blend? Wait, no! What I mean is, did you like?

I don't know - I'm still trying to figure out wtf was happening. :)

I think, having long been a fan of the 'original' assassination 'game' (hunted on TFC), I like the idea. Also the asymmetric nature of the game is good. But the player seemed to be earning xp somehow - what was going on there, I didn't see him do anything...Also once spotted it seemed very difficult to evade your pursuer.

But yeah, I think it looked good. I liked the "cyberspace" style thing going on as well.
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

I, also, didn't have a bloody clue what was going on there. Other than there being hunters and prey (and maybe everyone is both?). How do you know who you are hunting?

I've played AssCreed I and II, so I understand the blending/hiding mechanics, but not really how it works in multiplayer.

Assassinate is FFA - everyone hunts everyone. You have a radar that shows you the proximity of other players but not what they look like, so you have to watch out for suspicious behaviour and then strike. The numbers indicate the score for the kill - the more variety you put in and the stealthier you do it (prey doesn't spot you, you don't run etc.) the higher the score.

Wanted gives you a contract - a specific player you need to hunt, and you know what the character looks like. You are also hunted (by 1 player at the start; do well, and more players are after you at once).

There are abilities (like smokebombs, a gun, charge etc.) and perks (passive abilities like Blender, which transform one guy in the group you stand in to look like you) as you level up.

There are 3 or 4 more gamemodes as well as team modes.

it looked in the video like it was team based, with (AFAICT) the teams taking it in turns to hunt and be hunted. From what I could see the hunters were able to cycle through the prey to select the target they wanted to hunt, with the radar giving an approximate location, but not the appearance.

I was more mystified by the way the player seemed to start as the prey and very quickly level up to 3 without actually seeming to do anything.
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    - Rakysh

Assassinate works like a much more manic Spy Party then? Interesting. I presume/hope the npcs are random and varied enough in their behaviour to make it harder to spot players?

(Also, I had totally forgotten about Spy Party. Wonder what's happening with that these days).

@ntw - didn't watch that particular video. In modes where you have a contract, you can drop that, but it takes a bit before you get a new one. In Team-modes you can cycle between the members of the opposing team(s)

@sino - the NPCs are varied; they walk in groups, might turn around, might stop at another group etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    @ntw - didn't watch that particular video. In modes where you have a contract, you can drop that, but it takes a bit before you get a new one. In Team-modes you can cycle between the members of the opposing team(s)...{snip}
    well it was the video in the OP :)
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    - Rakysh

Yeah, but I can't be arsed ;-)

Just kidding - just wanted to give a general overview of the game.

To resolve some mystery, leveling up happens over multiple matches in the style of Call of Duty. Your prey is apparent in various game modes in different ways. Sometimes you have a general direction radar circle which is useless at close range, but it confirms if you have line of sight, sometimes you had a picture in the top right identifying your target or sometimes all you have to guide you is keeping your eye open for suspicious behaviour.

Some game modes are true free for all with all the bottom feeding that entails, some game modes are team play and some (wanted) have some lovely scaling which creates a gradient, when you are massacring like KGB assassin everyone wants you dead, but when you n00b it up you'll get some peace.

See, I like the 'anti-kingmaker' aspects of that. More games should do it.
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    - Rakysh

Obscure Node
    Tried this for the first time the other day, even though I'm not a big multiplayer guy. So far, I'm really impressed with it. It's a nice change of pace because it requires you to be slow and measured in your approach, as opposed to frantically shooting at everything that moves (looking at you, COD!)

I've just started, so I don't have many of the skills yet, but they seem really interesting so far. I used the disguise ability when I was being pursued by rounding a corner and turning it on, and watched my pursuer run by me. And stabbing someone in the face who's just sitting on a bench when they're not expecting...that's just good times right there.