Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Aww man, when I saw the thread title I figured this was a parody post: "Look at Saturday's Bargain Bucket! All it is is links to retailers selling games! Advert!"

Seriously, even if there was a connection between the two, why assume corruption? If I was marketing Red Orchestra and saw a site had posted a bunch of preview articles about it then I'd probably want to advertise on that site (because clearly the readers are interested or they wouldn't be posting about it so much).

All has been said that needs to be said. Let's move on, shall we?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Aww man, when I saw the thread title I figured this was a parody post: "Look at Saturday's Bargain Bucket! All it is is links to retailers selling games! Advert!"

Seriously, even if there was a connection between the two, why assume corruption? If I was marketing Red Orchestra and saw a site had posted a bunch of preview articles about it then I'd probably want to advertise on that site (because clearly the readers are interested or they wouldn't be posting about it so much).
    Some of us are really interested, which is why I'm wondering about the lack of RO2 articles. They posted articles quite regularly right up to the games release along with ads on the site. The game has been out almost a week and I've read nothing about the issues a lot of gamers are having/been having. RO2 has also had 3 or 4 patches too.

They can't just post articles on a game and advertise a game, and when it's released along with quite a few problems not even bother to mention it.

No one else finds that even a little bit strange?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They've probably not played it yet. There's only like five of them.

Quote Originally Posted by redox View Post
    They can't just post articles on a game and advertise a game, and when it's released along with quite a few problems not even bother to mention it.

They CAN... because, you know, apparently they have.

You realise a well thought out email to the men of RPS would be the best way for you to air your grievance on the issue, though. Trying to bait them into slapping you in a forum is a poor way to get something across to them.

Banned
    Jim's the regular RPS FPS writer and he's on Holiday at the moment (thus why KG did the Sunday papers this weekend). As I've not seen him on Steam for the last week or so I'd hazard at a guess it was a vacation and not a staycation (in other words likely catching some sun/doing what the significant other wants). Sinister conspiracy of silence, or lack of Jim? You decide.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Jim's the regular RPS FPS writer and he's on Holiday at the moment (thus why KG did the Sunday papers this weekend). As I've not seen him on Steam for the last week or so I'd hazard at a guess it was a vacation and not a staycation (in other words likely catching some sun/doing what the significant other wants). Sinister conspiracy of silence, or lack of Jim? You decide.
    If that's the reason we've had no word of problems with RO2 then that's pretty lame to be honest. Any one of the RPS staff could've written a piece on the game. Both John and Quintin have posted about the game previously - http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sa=X&...gc.r_pw.&cad=b

Quintin doesn't live here anymore.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Auspex View Post
    Quintin doesn't live here anymore.
    That leaves John then.

I wonder what Quintin does at Paradox?

trolls forums under an alias posting about RO?

:)
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

I would like you to read and respond to DarkNoghri redox. He summed everything we're all feeling up, but you chose to ignore it.

Banned
    That leaves John then.
    Even John would probably admit that he's not the ideal candidate to get into a game like RO2. Jim's the best candidate for the job. my suspicion is if you carry on along these lines you'll be heading the way of WASD at this rate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    You are selectively ignoring arguments...
    No. Not at all. Many games have many problems, which are mentioned in due when their review comes out (unless they are huge games, in which case they get mentioned when the impressions come out). If RPS truly would be influenced by advertising, as you believe, then they would have posted a review at launch, or closely at launch, glossing over the bugs and advertising it as the best thing in multiplayer gaming for everyone.

Also, this. It is at page 1. You missed it:
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNoghri View Post
    Firstly, this is a PC gaming site. That means they post stuff about PC games. "Stuff about PC games" is fairly inclusive, and includes small news items, such as "RO2 has been released," or "End of Nations has gone free to play." The reason they do this is so that people who like PC games can stay informed. Maybe Tikey wanted to know that End of Nations went free to play. How would he know if RPS didn't post about it? Should he be subscribed to every single publisher/developer news feed? That's what gaming sites do; they gather all the valuable news in one spot. You're choosing to interpret small news items as ads for some reason.

Secondly, as the hivemind themselves said in your last thread, they are not your slaves. They post about whatever they feel like, which includes reviews, previews, random videos, and news items. You're accusing them of selling out because they're doing what they've always done.

Thirdly, you're acting like an entitled brat, which is not helping your case. Not only that, but you're being repetitive about it. We already saw you being an entitled brat in the other thread, we didn't need a second one. Talking nonsense, having no backup, and then spreading that nonsense across the forums doesn't win you points, it makes you a spammer. Nobody likes spammers. Yes, it is nonsense. RPS has always posted stuff like this. You can go as far back as you want, and you'll find news posts containing screenshots, videos, interviews, and so on. And all of a sudden, because RPS doesn't do a followup article on RO2 as fast as you like, they've sold out?

Fourthly, almost any news item/interview/preview article/review could be considered advertising. So yes, that's what they do. From Dust? There's no such thing as bad publicity. They reviewed Human Revolution? How could they possibly push awareness of a game?! I'm outraged.

Fifthly, the weather here is quite nice. It's been cloudy, but very cool. It's a great change after the sweltering heat we've had all summer.

I'm sorry that you feel we are underperforming, Redox, but the truth is pretty obvious to me: we're producing more and better journalism that we were a year ago, and that's because we can spend money that we make from the advertising. One serious look through the "review" and "feature" tags demonstrates that.

Besides, when have we ever reviewed everything that comes out? Never, that's when. Go back through the archives and try to show that we've been a comprehensive review site. You will find numerous errors and omissions, sometimes because we couldn't be bothered to review them, sometimes because we didn't have anyone available.

As for your specific questions:

End Of Nations = We've done previews and will probably review it when it comes along.

Red Orchestra 2 = I've been playing it, but had a holiday the week it was out, so the WIT is seriously delayed. I wrote about how much I liked the game, and how much work was still to be done on it, here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...a-2-preview-1/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    How was the weather, mister Rossignol?

Rather lovely.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Bah, the OP is a thinly disguised attempt to generate an argument and thus page views! Advertising! It's all advertising!
    It's like they're trying to run their gaming website in a way that doesn't lose them money!

That leaves John then.

I wonder what Quintin does at Paradox?
    Quintin is the Creative Marketing Commissar. They let him pick his title.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    Quintin is the Creative Marketing Commissar. They let him pick his title.
    Does this means that he executes his underlings to improve morale and make them work harder?
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by imirk View Post
    Does this means that he executes his underlings to improve morale and make them work harder?
    They're Swedes. I thinki he just threatens them with a cut to their Lutefisk ration and removal of company Ikea card privileges...or something.