Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    But that's crazy. If someone casually tells me they're a Christian, I don't assume they're like the nutters on TV.
    Stereotypes propagate because nobody has the time to personally judge every since member of a certain constituency - indeed, we invent constituencies in order to gloss over those sorts of details - and indeed one of the drawbacks is that we tend to hold odd views on the otherness of said folks.

I know in NYC that the activist group Critical Mass is hurting the image of bicyclists because everybody now associates bicyclists with loud, obnoxious hipsters (and also Brooklyn with loud, obnoxious hipsters, and also locavore environmentalism with loud, obnoxious hispters, and also microbreweries with loud, obnoxious hipsters, but I digress). NYC also is the home to most right-wing media moguls, as well as the vast majority of political money funneled into Republican candidates, but when we think of Republicans we tend to think of mid-west dingbats with a hardcore flat-earth complex.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Stereotypes propagate because nobody has the time to personally judge every since member of a certain constituency
    No, but I'd hope you'd take the time to judge the person standing in front of you rather than assuming they're all the same. I mean, unless they've told you they're a Nazi or a console gamer or something.

but when we think of Republicans we tend to think of mid-west dingbats with a hardcore flat-earth complex.
    It's a party of two halves, really - the economic conservatives (the rich and the deluded), and the social conservatives (the backwards assholes).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    No, but I'd hope you'd take the time to judge the person standing in front of you rather than assuming they're all the same.
    Of course; I never indicated that I didn't. I did act a dick to one vegan, but only because the vegan was a dick.

It's a party of two halves, really - the economic conservatives (the rich and the deluded), and the social conservatives (the backwards assholes).
    Point being, the backwards assholes (or at least their spokespeople) seem to live in the most liberal bastion in the country, which I find funny to no end.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen