Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Brazil lost 3-0, an incredibly limp game in which they presented almost no threat at all, and Scolari had the gall to say he won't quit even after losing the last two games 10-1. Worse, he said he doesn't have "anything to learn from other coaches". Yes. Oh wow. Just shoot me.
    Oh look, it's Paulo Bento all over again.

É para os brasileiros não se ficarem a rir de nós...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Oh, and the Brazilian players did not wait for the 3rd-place medal ceremony, which is an awful faux pas. Ugh.

Chelsea must be laughing their asses off selling Luiz for £50m. Meanwhile somebody in Paris is looking for the receipt... I mean, you can buy Ron Vlaar 10 times with that money.

Also, the referee was once again terrible. Arguably the second worst after the Colombia game. I sincerely hope we will see professional referees for 2022.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Oh, and the Brazilian players did not wait for the 3rd-place medal ceremony, which is an awful faux pas. Ugh.
    Indeed, but most of the supporters did stay around to applaud the Dutch team, which was referenced by the coach and lot of the players as being something they really appreciated. Coach Louis van Gaal also said the Brazilians had been very friendly throughout their stay in the country.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

I found it hilarious that in an interview after the match, Netherland's Robben stated that NE would have deserved to play in the finals after showing such a good performance. They played well, granted, but apparently not good enough to beat Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Also, the referee was once again terrible. Arguably the second worst after the Colombia game. I sincerely hope we will see professional referees for 2022.
    Very true, several severe mistakes, missed offsides and so on. I'm amazed that not the world top referees were used for the World Cup, apparently not even professionals. How is anyone supposed to take this tournament seriously if the Fifa can't be arsed to provide specifically trained individuals to ensure compliance with rules?
    Last edited by Squiz; 13-07-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    I found it hilarious that in an interview after the match, Netherland's Robben stated that NE would have deserved to play in the finals after showing such a good performance. They played well, granted, but apparently not good enough to beat Argentina.
    It's the standard gibberish athletes come up with, where 'deserve' is suddenly more important than the actual result. I don't think it's complete nonsense, though. The Argentinian team has been rather lacklustre this tournament; they beat Bosnia and Herzegovina 2-1, Iran 1-0, Nigeria 2-3, Switzerland 1-0 in extra time , Belgium 1-0, and then got through on penalties against The Netherlands after an uninspired 0-0.

But anyway, the match between The Netherlands and Argentina was one of extreme defensiveness. Neither side impressed me much, and even the supposed best footballer in the world, Lionel Messi, only touched the ball in the Dutch goal area once - to take his penalty kick after extended time.

In a way coming third is the second best result for the Dutch team. Winning the championship would have been great, of course, but winning against the host nation Brazil to take 3rd seems more satisfying than what would probably have ended up in a loss against the German favourites.

Here's hoping the Argentinians can surprise to give the audience a competitive game - and maybe even win!
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~

I won't be writing any "preview" today as I'm going outside. They have been getting shorter as tournament progressed so writing none seems like an apt conclusion.

Pack mer's.

Well, good luck to all the Germans, but also to the Argentinians. Unlike most of my countrymen, I'm not automatically rooting for the Germans. I just want the team who plays the best football to win.

It went okay.

I'm one of those horrible people who're not really into soccer (that's my GF's job) but will watch most international games with interest. Tonight was a bit tense, to say the least, the game really showed how differently semi-finals and finals can go.

Network Hub
    GERMANY, BITCHES!!

;p

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    It went okay.
    Heh, congrats. It really could have gone either way, and I'm sure the Argentinians are rueing the missed chances. But it was a suitably tense game, a great tactical battle, and a fitting end to an amazing Cup.

3 little interesting tidbits:

- 3 teams went undefeated in the tournament (remember that losing a penalty shoot-out isn't officially a loss, it's a tie): Germany, the Netherlands and... Costa Rica.

- 3 countries have won the WC more than 3 times: Brazil, Italy and now Germany. For each of those countries, the 4th title came 24 years after the 3rd. (Brazil 70-94, Italy 82-06, Germany 90-14).

- This is the first time that a continent has won 3 Cups in a row (Europe: Italy 06, Spain 10, Germany 14). South Americans need to step it up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    That goal was amazing btw, the control of the ball was just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    That goal was amazing btw, the control of the ball was just wow.
    Yeah, no idea how it's possible to hit from that angle and even with the non-dominant (left) foot as well.

Sadly (but as expected), the performance of the referees was once again disappointing. The second foul against Schweinsteiger was more than a bit obvious and could have decided the match much sooner. Also, poor Kramer who substituted for Khedira - a wish coming true for sure - just to get knocked out after a couple of minutes.

Too bad Argentina didn't win, that would've been nice. At least second is a lot better than they've been able to do in recent FIFA World Cups.

Agreed with the criticism of the referees in general. It seems that pretty much everything goes these days - from shirt pulling to blatant acts of violence.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Agreed with the criticism of the referees in general. It seems that pretty much everything goes these days - from shirt pulling to blatant acts of violence.
    This. I don't usually follow football but I watched this world cup with interest, and seeing many teams resort to violent play (without being punished or even called out on) was infuriating. I hope this changes in the future, frankly.
    In the meanwhile I was cheering for Germany (and I'm Italian, go figure), I think they deserved the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Too bad Argentina didn't win, that would've been nice. At least second is a lot better than they've been able to do in recent FIFA World Cups.
    I'm glad Argentina managed to play a good match. They played as a team instead of a collection of star players like the previous world cup.
    Germany's goal was fantastic and congratulations to them on the win. They had a brilliant world cup.

Bye, World Cup thread! I'll miss you. I miss the Cup. The Brazilian league resumes in two days. Two days. It's going to be a system shock (ha. ha). Just shoot me :(

Some of the German celebrations have been hysterical, I gotta say that they know how to celebrate in style:
    https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/1FC...OH9BiFkutWZ.Co
    https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/496...BaJ11jp7RFK10d

some german festivities are getting out of hand and overly nationalist, mind.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."