Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Network Hub

"Stealing life is basically murder"

The Jimquisition: Online Passes Are Bad For Everybody - http://www.destructoid.com/the-jimqu...y-211802.phtml

As always, he has a point. Unless you can afford to buy every single game on every format, new. Who can right?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    That guy...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I had a conversation with my father not too long ago, the crux of which was that while, yes, I and every modern first-worlder eat a better and more varied diet than classical kings, as well as live in climate-controlled comfort, I realized that I'm spending almost every one of my waking hours ekeing out the ability to fulfill the basic functions of eating regularly and sleeping indoors. Back in college I could hang out with my friends daily. Now I'm doing good if I see them biweekly, and that requires planning.

In short, I have every luxury in the world except free time. John Cheese of Cracked.com has a point: Now that I'm in that stage of my life which is basically endless toil until I retire, I'm replacing free time with money, and my money demands fun NOW. This DRM feels like insult to injury because it adds toil to an act of entertainment, made doubly insulting when the game has a grind, too.

As such, yes, wasting my time is slowly killing me.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node
    Thou shouldst not link to destructoid!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Why not just start a Jim Sterling Jimquistion thread and just add to it every week instead? That way those of us who don't give two hoots about Sterling can safely ignore them?
    Last edited by Kadayi; 20-09-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Ugh, I can't stand that guy. But he's right, and I'm glad that someone with a high profile is flying this particular flag. And of course it's PC gamers who are the most pliant of all in the matter of used games.

Incidentally, the bit about stealing seconds of a gamer's life being akin to murder reminded me of this bit from Dune Messiah:

The convoluted wording of legalisms grew up around the necessity to hide from ourselves the violence we intend toward each other. Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. You have done violence to him, consumed his energy. Elaborate euphemisms may conceal your intent to kill, but behind any use of power over another the ultimate assumption remains: "I feed on your energy."
    Last edited by Rii; 20-09-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Why not just start a Jim Sterling Jimquistion thread and just add to it every week instead? That way those of us who don't give two hoots about Sterling can safely ignore them?
    How about we just dump everything Kadayi doesn't like into one thread? That way, he doesn't have to click any more links than are absolutely necessary!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I realized that I'm spending almost every one of my waking hours ekeing out the ability to fulfill the basic functions of eating regularly and sleeping indoors. Back in college I could hang out with my friends daily. Now I'm doing good if I see them biweekly, and that requires planning.
    you know... that was always the case for 99% of worlds population.

well.. I dislike making new threads for every episode of something, so I actually second kads motion.

Though I dont see the point in posting everytime something gets updated, at all. the people that follow it, follow it anyway, and unless you hate every single post (incidentally every single new post) that comes out of a specific thing, I fail to see the point in posting every time someone else posts, just for the sake of having "re:"d it. retweeting, yes. On a forum, not so much.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    you know... that was always the case for 99% of worlds population.
    Yes, of course. And the reason for that is usually to enrich the last 1%. That's the humor of the situation: General wealth is less important than social iniquity.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

I don't really like Jim Sterling either but... I thought he'd have a much better voice that that.

I am disappointed and a shallow human being.

How about we just dump everything Kadayi doesn't like into one thread? That way, he doesn't have to click any more links than are absolutely necessary!
    Weirdly enough I belong to other sites and the general approach is if it's a series (like Yatzee or some such), rather than posting a separate thread every time, you make a single containing thread (just like we do for 'what you've been watching, reading, listening to etc, etc).

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    The problem is is that Jim Sterling has various different opinions from week to week so one big thread would be a bit of a mess.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    I say make all the threads you want, but can you at least put a "Jim Sterling" warning?

Because I'd rather not waste my time talking about such a despicable human being.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Because the thread isn't about Jim Sterling? I'd have probably preferred a bit more context in the original quote so it wasn't necessary to watch the video to have the debate, but I don't think it really matters who raises the talking point? The only reason we're discussing Jim Sterling now is that a bunch of people felt it necessary to chime in on how much they dislike the guy.

Let's face it, complete twats often come up with the most interesting talking points. (Not say Sterling is one, just I really don't care if he is or not).

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Because I'd rather not waste my time talking about such a despicable human being.
    So that's the whole schtick where Jim gets the "despicable human being" reputation. If you ask me, it really just looks like both sides got into an internet shitfit until one hit the other with the 'gotcha' stick.

Reminds me of a certain white, transgender student at a tiny liberal arts college in Washington state starting a whole war against a Native American professor for including "mother earth" in the course's title because it was oppressive to "minorities." No, it's just somebody looking to pick a fight finding one, and neither Jimquisition or Anna Anthropy look exactly like they believed much in detente.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

So that's the whole schtick where Jim gets the "despicable human being" reputation. If you ask me, it really just looks like both sides got into an internet shitfit until one hit the other with the 'gotcha' stick.
    Having read through all that:

(1) My head hurts.
    (2) Not a lot to it: a man-child and a woman-child slinging shit at each other.
    (3) I think this link does a better job of demonstrating the awfulness of Jim Sterling. The Fat Princess stuff in particular.
    Last edited by Rii; 20-09-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    (3) I think this link does a better job of demonstrating the awfulness of Jim Sterling. The Fat Princess stuff in particular.
    Maybe the internet has anesthetized me to shocking statements, but those insults all look like familiar flamewar buzzwords to me. Like reading a sociologist try to delve into 4chan lingo.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Because the thread isn't about Jim Sterling?
    Dean, this is the second thread that redox has started with zero context and a straight link to Jims Sterlings Jimquisition videos. : -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...uot-Point-made

Call me crazy, but I've the vague suspicion that left to his own devices Redox will make another cold call link thread in a week or so when Jim makes another video. So he might as well make a 'Jim Sterling appreciation thread' and pour all of Jim links into that, where those who can tolerate than man can wax lyrical about his amazing insights. That way everyone's happy.

Probable Replicant

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    See the voices I'd want most in a thread though are those saying he's wrong and saying why he's wrong. Had he just posted a summary of the argument without a link to the video people wouldn't mind. They'd probably think it was a decent thread. But it's not now. Because we're discussing Jim-bloody Sterling. Instead of the topic. Because we can't discuss the topic because people are desperate to point out what a cunt Jim Sterling is.

It's like coming in to a thread about a new World War 2 game just to point out what a nasty man Hitler was and we'd rather not talk about him thanks.

If a topic/post is genuinely worthless, it'll fall off the page soon enough anyway.