Pointless upgrade..? I can't decide. i5 to i7 and GTX 670 to GTX 770

Howdy

I'm looking to update my PC, give it a little more "umph" as some games are causing it to have slow down here and there now... and... I'd prefer that didn't happen. With some of the games on the horizon too.. I am wondering if I can upgrade my current PC rather than going whole hog new everything..

So I was thinking of upgrading my Processor and GFX card, but I'm not sure if it is a "incremental" upgrade and possibly pointless... I.e I won't see that much of a difference... here's the specs currently:

Processor: Intel i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30Hgz (3.60 GHz)
    RAM: 8gb
    GFX card: Nvidia GTX 670 (4gb)
    Play at resolution: 1920x1080

I was thinking of upping the processor and GFX card to:

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 WindForce 3x OC 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics (or something similar but a 4gb GTX 770)

I'm happy with everything else in my PC, my motherboard supports 1155 chipsets so should be a straight swap I hope and the PSU should be fine I reckon.

The upgrade will roughly cost 500, but the question is... would there be much point? And therefore I wanted some opinion on this.

I have had slow down in Far Cry 3, Batman Origins, Borderlands 2 at times and recently Wildstar. The thought of running Witcher 3.. Batman Arkham Knight... Wolfenstein.. and probably some others I can't think of... makes me wonder if it is time for a jumpstart to the PC.

Thoughts?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    A Core i7-3770K is going to be no better than a Core i5-3570K for games. The Core i5-3570K in turn is only slightly better than the Core i5-2500, BUT does have the ability to overclock, which can make some difference (maybe 20-25% with a bit of luck). That requires your current motherboard to have a P67, Z68, Z75, or Z77 chipset.

The GTX 770 is just a rebadged GTX 680. The GTX 680 is only a little bit better than the GTX 670. So that upgrade is not worth it. You'd have to go for a bigger upgrade for it to be worth it.

Activated Node
    Best to upgrade your RAM and CPU.
    Get 16 gb of RAM and CPU upgrade to a i5 4000 series, which 4000 depends on whether you want to overclock.

Network Hub
    16GB of RAM won't make any difference in games at all.

The biggest jump would be a GPU upgrade so I would suggest getting either a good AMD 290 (like the Sapphire Tri-X) or a 780 if you want Nvidia. If you then pick up a 2nd hand 3750k you'd have a system capable of running anything at 1080p.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baboonanza View Post
    16GB of RAM won't make any difference in games at all.

The biggest jump would be a GPU upgrade so I would suggest getting either a good AMD 290 (like the Sapphire Tri-X) or a 780 if you want Nvidia. If you then pick up a 2nd hand 3750k you'd have a system capable of running anything at 1080p.
    So far. Hopefully with the new consoletoys devs add the option to keep all those big textures and models on RAM.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

I'd recommend you stick your upgrade fund in the bank and wait a little longer.

For my taste, those upgrades are pretty small for the price tag and you'd be better off waiting until you can make a bigger difference with the same amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by stoopiduk View Post
    I'd recommend you stick your upgrade fund in the bank and wait a little longer.

For my taste, those upgrades are pretty small for the price tag and you'd be better off waiting until you can make a bigger difference with the same amount of money.
    Agreed, it's not nearly enough bang for buck, if you don't have an inclination to move up to 1440p or more then your current system is still a strong one. That i5 is still a very capable CPU for gaming and will cope just fine for the next year at least. Not worth upgrading at this point unless there are new motherboard chipset features that you really want to have.

Wait 12 months until the full range of the Nvidia 800 series GPUs is (hopefully) out and the prices have come down from launch.

This is all sound advice, so thanks everyone, really appreciated. Once again the RPS community proves it's awesomeness :)

I have had suspicions (hence this thread) that it was too much of an incremental upgrade... so... I think I'll go with general thoughts that really it isn't worth it at the moment.

Thanks all for your time and thoughts, it has helped me clear up things in my own head... amazing what you can convince yourself is a good idea isn't it? (note pile of games yet to be played from various Steam sales)

Thanks again peeps!

Hot off the press, this is the sort of graph I was looking for when this thread started. From the i7-4790K Devils Canyon review on Bit-Tech today, comparison of CPU performances in a Skyrim and Shogun 2 at 1080p. i5-2500K and i7-3770K are in there. Comparing the two: Skyrim 8 FPS / 6% improvement if you upgraded to an i7-3770K, Shogun 2: 4 FPS / 16% improvement.

As the review points out the i5-2500K is slowly but surely falling behind Intel's new processors but at this point 260 for a new i7-4790K, plus new motherboard, plus new RAM, doesn't look like cost-effective upgrade for me yet. I'm hoping for another year or two of useful life out of my 2500K.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    Hot off the press, this is the sort of graph I was looking for when this thread started. From the i7-4790K Devils Canyon review on Bit-Tech today, comparison of CPU performances in a Skyrim and Shogun 2 at 1080p. i5-2500K and i7-3770K are in there. Comparing the two: Skyrim 8 FPS / 6% improvement if you upgraded to an i7-3770K, Shogun 2: 4 FPS / 16% improvement.

As the review points out the i5-2500K is slowly but surely falling behind Intel's new processors but at this point 260 for a new i7-4790K, plus new motherboard, plus new RAM, doesn't look like cost-effective upgrade for me yet. I'm hoping for another year or two of useful life out of my 2500K.
    Hey thanks for providing this, appreciated, and pretty much confirms what I thought. Just more ammunition to stay off the upgrade just yet :)

Glad I'm not the only one in this boat ;)