Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

What Causes Input Lag in Battlefield 3?

I've been experiencing this issue occasionally ever since obtaining this game in the last Origin free offer few weeks ago, but in the last few days the issue has been developing into rendering the game unplayable. I often find that while in movement, say, if I move forward (i.e. movement by keyboard key "W"), making a few steps and then I would be pulled back to a few steps backward. If I move my mouse to move the viewpoint, it also lags a lot. At first I suspect it to be a network issue since my home has unstable Internet connectivity. Yet, in the last few days, I gamed while maintaining pings at below 250, and this issue was getting worse. Seems to me it's more than just quality of connection that leads to the problem. I've had experience in which I can finish a few rounds consecutively, about 15 to 20 minus each, for a total of about 45 mins to 1 hour period without this issue (or issue being so negligible that I didn't notice), but not anymore in the last few days. I google around and the closest thing I got is an issue called "Input Lag" which relates to performance issue, especially considering that my AMD HD4870 has been very obsolete. Yet, I tried the solutions provided (say, I have my Vsyncs off at the very beginning) but with no luck.

Network Hub
    Sounds a bit like the rubberbanding issue, different games use different ways of positioning you in the game, if you're getting a lot of packet loss then the game keeps correcting your position server and local side.

Any other games you play have the same issue? A 250 latency is relatively high, it's essentially a quarter second lag that will fluctuate a lot if you have an unstable connection.
    GW2: Emmett Lazlow; The Killing Gnut; Bob Danby

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Terrible game design. Awful servers mandated by EA, poorly distributed servers internationally.

BF2 lag tolerance was calibrated for 100 ping, bf3 is probably too.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

If performance is fine but mouselook isn't responsive, that's input lag (too much display buffering, mouse smoothing, etc). Performance trouble can also cause responsiveness issues, but then it's usually clear the framerate is just not high enough.

The positional rubber-banding is network related (probably packet loss). BF3 gives the client a lot of autonomy, but the server still has to check that the results of your actions are valid, and correct the ones that it can't verify.

An unreliable network connection is sometimes going to play fine and sometimes going to be unplayable. You might have normal playable pings on average, even quite high ones, but then have matches ruined by packet loss. Playing on closer servers may help, or avoiding times the network is likely to be busy (evenings, weekends, holidays), but it's ultimately down to the service providers and how saturated the networks are, or if they need maintenance (there could be failing or misconfigured hardware, line trouble, etc), or the network trouble may be local (bad router, downloads or p2p sharing or video streaming on the same connection, etc).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Input lag? I could not play outof pixel hopping. No idea what it's real name is, but even when zoomed, mouse sensitivity up high etc, moving the mouse caused the view to move like 10 pixels each way. Made aiming impossible.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    It's an os/mouse/surface issue surely? Mouse sensitivity "up high" will cause hopping.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmmm... Might try it on lower then next game it becomes a problem with.

Obscure Node
    I'm having similar issues as well but my internet's pretty bad so I assumed that was the problem. No complaints though, I get less than 200 ping on some Japanese and Thai servers which is pretty great considering my location.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    It's an os/mouse/surface issue surely? Mouse sensitivity "up high" will cause hopping.
    What he says. Everything above centered mouse speed slider in Windows will cause it to skip pixels. Leave the Windows control alone and adjust everything in your mouse driver.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    [Wishes he had a mouse that had "drivers"]

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    [Wishes he had a mouse that had "drivers"]
    What do you mean? You don't have the latest 9000dpi thing with 20 buttons on it? Console peasant... ;p

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No. I'm one of the "one true races" of 3 button only mice and real DELL/MICROSOFT keyboards. ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Terrible game design. Awful servers mandated by EA, poorly distributed servers internationally.

BF2 lag tolerance was calibrated for 100 ping, bf3 is probably too.
    Are there no fan run dedicated servers like BF2?