Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Obscure Node
    somebody sent me this a while ago, and it is beyond awesome. I don't really listen to this sort of snappy music, but the tone change at 0.15 grabbed me and never let go:

Last edited by Synesthesia; 06-07-2014 at 12:29 AM.

The original Mafia game has pretty good music - probably not music most people would listen to, mostly being 1930s but it fits the game perfectly and this tune for a street chase scene is perfect (although this tune was a 30s style song written in the 90s):

The unofficial soundtrack to Dwarf Fortress which was expertly crafted by Simon Swerwer and which, according to the community, 'menaces with spikes of awesome.' Encounter, Galena and Koganusan in particular.

https://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer/...ess-soundsense

I find it works very well with other TBS games and such.

It's from a PlayStation 2 game, but I'm utterly obsessed with this track right now. I'd never heard it before stumbling across it last night, which happened purely because I saw the name and thought it was funny.

OH GOD I love it; the long-awaited collaboration between Frank Klepacki, Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan and XTC. So basically all my favourite things mashed together. The guitar solo even makes a few Wilco-y sounds, just to ensure I feel as personally targeted as possible. Complete with catchy chorus! 1:04. and i'm swingin' my temptation gun / it's fully automatic

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsonite View Post
    The original Mafia game has pretty good music - probably not music most people would listen to, mostly being 1930s but it fits the game perfectly and this tune for a street chase scene is perfect (although this tune was a 30s style song written in the 90s):

Great pick, really memorable scene (even though I forgot about it :P), hearing that music makes it fresh again though.

Excellent game :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSKvMyruPTA

The Republic theme from Knights of the Old Republic, always kind of reminded me of marches that we would play in high school band.

post in progress

Last edited by Wenz; 09-07-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Since Ground Control, Deus Ex and UT99 were already mentioned I'll post something else that helped to format my music preferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    Great pick, really memorable scene (even though I forgot about it :P), hearing that music makes it fresh again though.

Excellent game :)
    Glad someone likes it - such a well made game. I've reinstalled it on SSD and added some graphical mods and probably going to do a Youtube play-through of it along with a couple of other games TBD :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    So how did I end up listening to what I listen now? Here is how.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Obscure Node
    OK, so most of my favourites have already been posted. One of my favourites from the BBC micro: Spellbinder.

I seem to remember that if you reduced the volume of the music in game by increments, it not only made the music quieter, but it also gradually cut out the notes, while preserving the melody. Genius. I really liked the game too - it was mysterious, and brutally hard in places, and it had a really big map of linking rooms which I drew out on bits of paper all sellotaped together.

Right in the feels

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    The award for most criminally misused soundtrack goes to: Rollercoaster Tycoon 3.

It's a great game with a really surprisingly fantastic soundtrack - rather than going for the cliche annoying carnival music, Alistair Lindsay wrote some really nice tracks for it. The only problem is you barely get to hear the soundtrack in-game, so it's really worth downloading the soundtrack from GOG (you do own the game on GOG, right?) and listening to it out-of-game.

No videos on YouTube, but I really enjoyed the Quality Quartet's music in Frontier: First Encounters.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Network Hub

X-com had one of the best soundtracks of the last few years.

Dammit, listening to that made me want to boot the game... again.