Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar

Did something change with Steam downloads?

Seems like Steam is making its downloads higher priority than it used to or something? I'm downloading a game and having severe problems getting through to web pages (took two minutes to get to the forums right now, for example. I've given up on most of the other sites I was going to look at). Same thing was going on last night.
    I can't remember it ever causing such problems in the past, so this is odd.

It doesn't seem to be using more bandwidth than usual (about 1.8-1.9MB/s) either, but it's like it's just blocking other connections most, but not all, of the time.

Edit: Though, if it is some change to Steam, it's odd it didn't start to happen until yesterday, considering the last update to Steam was a while ago and I've downloaded enough games in the meantime that I would have noticed problems like these.
    Last edited by Similar; 23-06-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    Edit: Though, if it is some change to Steam, it's odd it didn't start to happen until yesterday, considering the last update to Steam was a while ago and I've downloaded enough games in the meantime that I would have noticed problems like these.
    For what it's worth: I did get a Steam update yesterday. Maybe you didn't notice it installing, or something? Haven't experienced your problem yet though.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Steam does not have that power.

A few things can be up:

1) Steam is pushing more data through your pipe, filling up the buffer in the modem that the ISP uses to send stuff to you. Because that buffer is full, responses to new connections you initiate get dropped, causing your problems. This is pretty unlikely, because it worked fine before and it's not like Steam was lacking bandwidth.

2) Your ISP is bad and should feel bad, dropping packets because the network is overloaded. This is possible, but unlikely.

3) Your modem/router is bad and should be rebooted. Given the state of cheap NAT solutions, it is possible that it puked all over itself. Try rebooting it and see if the problem persists.

4) You are inadvertently uploading. This is a very common cause of shitty internet. You, or someone else might be using BitTorrent (or Dropbox, or uploading to YouTube, whatever) without limiting the upload. A filled upload buffer causes the same problems as a filled download buffer, but does so more easily, because your upload speed is generally much lower.

5) Something else entirely.

However, without a network activity monitor it's hard to say what is up. Bouncing your modem can help.

Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    For what it's worth: I did get a Steam update yesterday. Maybe you didn't notice it installing, or something? Haven't experienced your problem yet though.
    oh. No, I didn't see that. My version was built on May 29th and the Steam client update page also shows the last update being on that date (I was pretty certain I'd had at least one update since then, so I don't know).

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Steam does not have that power.
    ah. Good to know.

2) Your ISP is bad and should feel bad, dropping packets because the network is overloaded. This is possible, but unlikely.
    It's a new thing if it does, at least.

3) Your modem/router is bad and should be rebooted. Given the state of cheap NAT solutions, it is possible that it puked all over itself. Try rebooting it and see if the problem persists.
    That's probably about time anyway. It's been months since I last did.

4) You are inadvertently uploading. This is a very common cause of shitty internet. You, or someone else might be using BitTorrent (or Dropbox, or uploading to YouTube, whatever) without limiting the upload. A filled upload buffer causes the same problems as a filled download buffer, but does so more easily, because your upload speed is generally much lower.
    I'm alone on this network and I've checked for things that might be up or downloading (also scanned with Malwarebytes, just in case), but nothing seems to be doing anything unusual.

Thanks. I'll reboot everything and see if that helps.

It seems to be working now, so it probably was the router, although it took a rather long time to establish the connection when I turned it on again, so perhaps my ISP has some problems too.

Thanks.

Most modem/routers take a long time to start up. Mine takes about 3-4 minutes to come completely up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Most modem/routers take a long time to start up. Mine takes about 3-4 minutes to come completely up.
    This took a good bit longer than usual. It also established a connection for 10-20 seconds and then apparently lost it again, so it had to start over. Never seen that before, but my ISP's status page did mention that there had been problems in my area. They were supposed to have been fixed at that time, but maybe not.