Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

Crytek in financial trouble

You can find all rumours and information here.

tl;dr:
    - employees aren't paid on time, sometimes for months. Even the Frankfurt HQ employees are paid late.
    - Warface bombed outside of Russia
    - Ryse was expensive as fuck, Crysis 3 bombed, CryEngine doesn't sell because of poor documentation and support and they lost a big military contract
    - Microsoft wants to make Ryse 2 but only if they own the IP, and Crytek doesn't want to sell it
    - too many employees, not enough revenue to handle the operations
    - outside studios are trying to lure Crytek talent away
    - Wargaming and a Chinese firm are looking to buy Crytek
    - Avni Yerli says they secured investment and while the last couple of years were difficult, things are looking better

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    My advice 'make less excellent technology demos masquerading as terrible games'. But you'd probably need to start doing this a year ago to have any real impact.
    I hope money sorts itself out, and if it doesn't all the talented people don't end up stuck making mobile phone games or worse.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Well shit, I just got invited for a job interview there...Maybe I'll pass.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davkaus View Post
    If they are going to sell out it could still be a good place to work. It'd just suck more for the bosses.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Crytek will look good on a resume anyway.
    The Frankfurt, UK and RT Immersive studios should be safe in case someone buys the company...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    "Worked for Crytek" looks rather good on a resume, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    If they are going to sell out it could still be a good place to work. It'd just suck more for the bosses.
    you mean mid managers. bosses will make tons of money out of sale.

it sad when companies go bankrupt. and it is even more sad when it happens to companies which didnt do anything wrong. like Crytek.
    Hopefully they will survive. and we need competition to unreal engine.

and i was not aware that crysis 3 bombed.

I don't have much love for Crytek but it would be a shame to see them go under as they're just about the only German developer with a bit of weight behind them. Yager seem to be moving in a good spot though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    and i was not aware that crysis 3 bombed.
    They always tried to push Crysis to be the new CoD but I don't think it ever caught on.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Guessing software-as-a-service isn't working out quite as profitably as they'd hoped, or at least not in the time frame they were counting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    They always tried to push Crysis to be the new CoD but I don't think it ever caught on.
    Yeah, I'd be astonished if anyone showed me proof Crysis's multiplayer scene was in any way comparable to CoD or Battlefield's following. The Yerlis plainly want it to be - I mean, I'm guessing that's why they went all in on Warface - but I think people got more and more fed up with it as it tried to be all things to all people and ended up satisfying few, if any of them.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    I don't want to see them collapse either...

But seriously they make awful games... lol...

If they want to continue to make games... they might need some fresh blood/change in direction with their game designers to help with that... never been excited for any of their games. Crysis 1 is the only one I liked.

Are you not looking forward to Homefront 2? It's Freedom Fighters with Koreans in first person and without loading screens!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Yea fair enough, that actually looked quite cool :P

I wish they were doing more though, I thought they could really offer a lot after Crysis 1. The last two Crysis games and whatever Ryse is erased most of my enthusiasm for their games... lol.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I wonder whether this is indicative of what is happening in the AAA gaming space as a whole. Horrible as I would feel for the individual people working in the industry, the industry as a whole desperately needs a shake up. A big one.

Game development from the big players is completely stagnant. Everything is an annual title now. Creativity is all but dead. Really, this is pretty much an inevitable conclusion for any number of major studios, given a timeline of sufficient length along which innovation continues at its current pace.

On a note more specific to Crytek I wonder if the upcoming Homeland can turn things around. I hope so; it looks cool and I frankly am eager to buy it. But will it be too little too late? I cannot help but wonder.

Either way the industry needs innovation. And it will get that innovation. Either from the big name studios, or from their collective demise.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    But seriously they make awful games...
    Awful is taking it a bit too far. Shallow is the word I'd use. They're pretty and mechanically sound, but other than that totally.... bland.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcompany View Post
    I wonder whether this is indicative of what is happening in the AAA gaming space as a whole. Horrible as I would feel for the individual people working in the industry, the industry as a whole desperately needs a shake up. A big one.

Game development from the big players is completely stagnant. Everything is an annual title now. Creativity is all but dead. Really, this is pretty much an inevitable conclusion for any number of major studios, given a timeline of sufficient length along which innovation continues at its current pace.
    It's not indicative of anything because nobody was as chaotic as Crytek.

Since Crysis they:
    - moved to consoles
    - tried to make cinematic shooters with Crysis 2 and the original Homefront 2
    - did a complete 180 and are now making an open world game
    - canceled a ton of titles
    - became a f2p developer
    - tried to launch a social network, or whatever G-Face is lol
    - became a publisher, owner of a million studios and unused IPs
    - got stuck in development hell with Ryse (the final version is like the 11th) and rushed Crysis 3, burning a 60 million dollars budget and getting nothing in return
    - made a brilliant engine but are unable to properly support it, so nobody except non-gaming enterprises buys it

Make a "reasons why gaming dies" bingo card and you can stamp Crytek on every square.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    So they spend too much.
    Dont innovate.
    Over-develop
    Rush titles
    Lack focus
    Lack a clear plan for the future in the face of a changing gaming ecosystem

So yeah...pretty much the problem with every AAA studio out there. Its just...Crytek had fewer blockbuster games for people to get sick and less money in the bank as a result of that. The numbers dont lie; brick and mortar video game software sales - basically, new console games - down somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% over the last4-5 years, including 11% as of Feb 2014.

What is happening to Crytek isnt unique. Its just they are smaller and have less to fall back on. Their chickens are just coming home to roost a little sooner than those of the heavy hitters.

Or maybe thats just wishful thinking. I dont want anything bad to happen to the livelihood of the individual people who make games. But I do want the industry to change. And short of a near-complete collapse, I dont see change coming.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    My advice 'make less excellent technology demos masquerading as terrible games'.
    You mean, stop trying to be id Software.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    It serves them well,they wanted to have cod sale numbers and tried to appeal to such audience target,basically they got burned at the end. Nobody can match cod sale numbers so try doing that and focus on things you are good at.. More open level fps games like Crysis ? Yes please.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    Nah the problem is they massively over expanded and tried to become a publisher basically. id's plans for most of their history is to stay small and do swanky tech demo games, it was affordable in that model.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    There can be only one!

And the Yerli dude is NOT Carmack/Romero, not by a long shot.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?