Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    125

    S.T.A.L.K.E.R & Metro Developers Team Up For a New Game “Areal”

    Sauce

    For a moment my jaw was drop and i was extremely hype. MY type of game i have been waiting for too long. but than i read its multiplatform game i become nervous.

    really hope they will develop this game primilary PC in mind. and since they are ppls who made Stalker and metro. i dont think they will dissapoint me.

  2. #2
    Wii U? *sigh*

    I will back this. Please dear God don't fuck this up!

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by BadManiac View Post
    Wii U? *sigh*

    I will back this. Please dear God don't fuck this up!
    honestly, how can any Wii gamer interested in stalker type game. they are more interested in their kiddy mario zelda games

    while xbox and playstation gamers cant play anything that is not scripted, cinematic, regen health cover system.


    only if they made PC version first than port to console later.

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,288
    Concept art looks nice,maybe they are filling the gap now for stalker fans because everyone knows there won't be STALKER 2. Jeej.

  5. #5
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    94
    Areal promises the moon. And they only want $50000? I can't imagine it'll work out. On top of that, some kickstarter rewards include weapons and items that won't be in the game.

    Everything they're saying makes me imagine an unfinished, overambitious game with a ton of DLC weapon packs and reskins. Unless it's just a con: they show a lot of video from the STALKER games in their pitch, and very little else.

    Really hope their campaign proves me wrong, 'cause if they're on the level I can't think of another game I'd rather see.

    When I look at their kickstarter page, I just keep hearing Bill Nye saying "That's an extraordinary claim."
    Last edited by Grey Cap; 24-06-2014 at 12:33 PM.

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,574
    I have wii (not a wiiU), and I love the little box. Say what you will about Nintendo, but they consistently offer top notch games.

    Also, yes the price is too low, but given the very low per capita income of Ukraine ($3,867) pre-crisis, it's low but not impossible if they chipped some of their savings in or had an investor.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,300
    Kickstarter preview page.

    Not a lot to go on besides concept art and ideas so far. Looks like they have a small team doing pre production and are hoping to secure more funding and team members if the kickstarter is a success. In any case a STALKER-ish game with a bit more RPG elements and some sci-fi/fantasy elements to justify artifacts and weird creatures sounds fine to me and I hope they get to do it.

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,700
    Not sure if $50k is enough to buy a STALKER-esque game...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,649
    There's nothing about Stalker that wouldn't work on consoles.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    There's nothing about Stalker that wouldn't work on consoles.
    it cant work on console unless they dumbed it down. it also require too many keys. plus there would be no inventory if it were on console.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Not sure if $50k is enough to buy a STALKER-esque game...
    The kickstarter page says quite clearly that they intend to leverage a successful KS campaign towards opening other financial options so presumably they'll look for investment once they can show the audience is there. They may of course also hope that they over-shoot their goal by a mile. I can't imagine $50k will reach very far even in the Ukraine once you're looking at a team with more than one or two people. And if they're actually aiming at multiple consoles...

    Diesel: Please don't be an insufferable PC master race cock.

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,649
    There's not much to talk about here, so we might as well do a "Stalker is not rocket science" thread.

    A grid based inventory works perfectly fine on consoles.
    A controller has plenty of buttons for crouch stances, lean, two medical items, a flashlight, night vision and ammo toggles. I think Rage with a full tool inventory was more complex in combat than Stalker.
    At worst they can slap a radial menu on it and call it a day.

  13. #13
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    94
    I have absolutely no problem with multi-platform, as long as the PC version is functional and can be played with a mouse and keyboard. I think that's the least of the problems. Also, there are going to be some people demanding that it be uncompromisingly, keyboard-shatteringly difficult. I hope the devs aren't going to listen to those people.

  14. #14
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel- View Post
    it cant work on console unless they dumbed it down. it also require too many keys. plus there would be no inventory if it were on console.
    There's that word again. Honestly, you can't say it's going to be 'dumbed down' just because you assumed the console have audiences with smaller brains and lesser buttons, and because you say STALKER is this super complex game that requires a second keyboard to push all those buttons. That's just lazy.

    Take FarCry 2 for example. The only thing that detracts from the PC experience in the console is that you won't have movement as good as you are with mouse. Everything else in the game is not 'dumbed down' just because the fact they released it on consoles as well. Heck, even DX:HR pretty much was almost as complex as the original. It even kept the Tetris-styled inventory system that STALKER had as well

    Sure, we're talking about STALKER here but my point still stands.
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

    Watch me fail as Nobunaga

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    There's that word again. Honestly, you can't say it's going to be 'dumbed down' just because you assumed the console have audiences with smaller brains and lesser buttons, and because you say STALKER is this super complex game that requires a second keyboard to push all those buttons. That's just lazy.

    Take FarCry 2 for example. The only thing that detracts from the PC experience in the console is that you won't have movement as good as you are with mouse. Everything else in the game is not 'dumbed down' just because the fact they released it on consoles as well. Heck, even DX:HR pretty much was almost as complex as the original. It even kept the Tetris-styled inventory system that STALKER had as well

    Sure, we're talking about STALKER here but my point still stands.

    Far cry 2 was very repetetive game. and far cry 3 was only open when its not in mission. when its on mission. its just linear path with cutscenes after cutscenes.

    Deus Ex HR even thought its one of my fav game in years was nowhere near complex as original. the addition of cover system and more linear level design it has.

  16. #16
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    70
    I was wondering why they hadn't done this before. Seeing as Survarium is going to be a shitty game hamstrung by free2play, the market is devoid of a new good open world Stalker-like. Although Sergei the Asshole has the rights to the name and the brand, they can just make up something with a different name and a similar setting. Use kickstarter to avoid big publishers and create a proper sequel to Stalker. And make dough in the process. I hope they can pull it off.

  17. #17
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Voon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sultanate of Johore
    Posts
    1,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel- View Post
    Far cry 2 was very repetetive game. and far cry 3 was only open when its not in mission. when its on mission. its just linear path with cutscenes after cutscenes.

    Deus Ex HR even thought its one of my fav game in years was nowhere near complex as original. the addition of cover system and more linear level design it has.
    so you're saying the inclusion of a cover system somehow made the game simpler? I mean, you can't really survive in a gunfight even in stalker without taking cover before ninja running to another cover and flanking you know. I wouldn't necessarily agree with you about more linear level designs. The hubs usually promote a lot more exploration and I wouldn't find less than one path to go from a to b in one mission without looking around for hidden paths (although, to be quite frank it does get a lot more linear in the later parts, especially Panchea).

    FarCry 2 was repetitive if you play it that way everytime. I was surprised how different the game can be when I took a stealthier approach and used chaos as a cover. FarCry 3 was FarCry 2 but just not as good and with pretty colours but I wasn't even talking about that one.
    Last edited by Voon; 24-06-2014 at 04:28 PM.
    Art blog here.

    Doodles poodles sheboodles

    Watch me fail as Nobunaga

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wenz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Gorizia, Italy
    Posts
    1,340
    I don't have a gears design doc at hand but cover systems do simplify maps in a way covers are meant to direct players to a few fronts and these fronts must be visible at expense of verticality (low walls at the same level are better than high anythings, still covers are fine for stealth stuff). /otletsdropthis
    Last edited by Wenz; 24-06-2014 at 05:13 PM.
    post in progress

  19. #19
    *lol* S.T.A.L.K.E.R on consoles...

    Unless they made drastic changes to the AI, game mechanics and level design it would never work. Console players just wouldn't accept it. Say what you will about dumbing down but console games definitely tend to be more forgiving and give more feedback as to where dangers are coming from. Grenade markers, damage indicators and such.

    In S.T.A.L.K.E.R you just die, then you reload and figure out where the fuck the shot came from, and then you try to flank the shooter but he's not even there after reloading and then you get horribly mauled by some mutant and have to reload again, and then you walk into an anomaly that wasn't there last reload and get dead again because you weren't paying attention and throwing bolts...

    And that's why S.T.A.L.K.E.R is GREAT, and why it would never work on console. It's FAR too unpredictable and dynamic. The zone is never the same even between quickloads, never mind playthroughs.

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,739
    Just for the lulz. Their writer( former GRU officer, everything in Ukraine is penetrated by GRU, even gamedev) stated some time ago that he dislike STALKER setting. Even though he apparently started the whole Areal thing in 2011 because... fans of STALKER kept writing him emails to write a novel in STALKER setting. Thats some byzantine level of deception...

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Cap View Post
    Areal promises the moon. And they only want $50000? I can't imagine it'll work out.
    50 000$ in Ukraine will get you much further then in the "West"( oh, the irony).
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •