Why is my PC randomly shutting down?

I've had this build for over 16 months and I've not had any problems before. Now today all of a sudden it is switching itself off, then It'll try rebooting automatically and fail and then the power light will come on and then go off and It'll carry on doing this until I switch it off at the wall.

The only change today has been a new Corsair SP120 fan for my radiator, to replace a noisy one. I also tried unplugging it from the fan header to test the powering on issue and it didn't make a difference.

I turned the PC off at the wall and back on but when I pressed the power button it lit up for a few seconds with some brief fan spin and then went off again and I couldn't get it to turn back on.

I turned it off at the wall again for a few minutes and checked connections inside, thinking maybe I knocked something when putting the fan in - all seemed fine. Switched back on just now and here I am typing this not knowing it it'll go off again.

Temps all seems okay too, I use Asus Fan Xpert and temps are currently 38C on the CPU and 33 on the mobo.

Any ideas what's going on?

Specs:

Intel Core i7 3970X Extreme 3.5Ghz
    16Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 x2 in SLI
    X-Fi Fatality Pro
    Corsair H100i Watercooler
    1200W Cooler Master Gold Pro
    Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb SSD
    Western Digital Black 1Tb HDD
    Western Digital Blue 500Gb HDD
    Seagate Baracuda 500Gb HDD
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Event Viewer says there was a "Kernel-power" event, 3 of them in fact.

Full event log for today:

Error 24/06/2014 18:30:15 Dhcp-Client 1001 Address Configuration State Event
    Error 24/06/2014 18:28:32 ACPI 13 None
    Error 24/06/2014 18:28:20 NvStreamSvc 1 None
    Warning 24/06/2014 18:28:15 e1cexpress 27 None
    Error 24/06/2014 18:28:15 Eventlog 1101 Event processing
    Critical 24/06/2014 18:28:08 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
    Error 24/06/2014 18:28:15 EventLog 6008 None
    Error 24/06/2014 18:09:01 Dhcp-Client 1001 Address Configuration State Event
    Error 24/06/2014 18:07:17 ACPI 13 None
    Error 24/06/2014 18:07:03 NvStreamSvc 1 None
    Warning 24/06/2014 18:06:56 e1cexpress 27 None
    Error 24/06/2014 18:06:58 Eventlog 1101 Event processing
    Critical 24/06/2014 18:06:49 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
    Error 24/06/2014 18:06:57 EventLog 6008 None
    Error 24/06/2014 17:58:04 Dhcp-Client 1001 Address Configuration State Event
    Error 24/06/2014 17:56:20 ACPI 13 None
    Error 24/06/2014 17:56:07 NvStreamSvc 1 None
    Warning 24/06/2014 17:56:02 e1cexpress 27 None
    Error 24/06/2014 17:56:02 Eventlog 1101 Event processing
    Critical 24/06/2014 17:55:54 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
    Error 24/06/2014 17:56:02 EventLog 6008 None
    Error 24/06/2014 15:15:00 Dhcp-Client 1001 Address Configuration State Event
    Error 24/06/2014 15:13:17 ACPI 13 None
    Error 24/06/2014 15:13:04 Dhcp-Client 1002 Address Configuration State Event
    Warning 24/06/2014 15:12:59 e1cexpress 27 None
    Last edited by soopytwist; 24-06-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Sorry, its me I keep creeping in and tapping your power button.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Sorry, its me I keep creeping in and tapping your power button.
    That would be funny it wasn't happening to me.

Sounds like you are having mainboard power issues, swap the mainboard cables for other ones on the power supply incase you have a damaged wire/loose plug, with consequently higher resistance.

My bet is that as your power supply slowly dies (as they all do) you are getting insufficient electric. I'd look into trying out a different PC's power supply on the PC and see how it runs. You may need to buy a new power supply unless you are a geek with a house covered in spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Sounds like you are having mainboard power issues, swap the mainboard cables for other ones on the power supply incase you have a damaged wire/loose plug, with consequently higher resistance.

My bet is that as your power supply slowly dies (as they all do) you are getting insufficient electric. I'd look into trying out a different PC's power supply on the PC and see how it runs. You may need to buy a new power supply unless you are a geek with a house covered in spare parts.
    Yes I am a geek with spare PC parts around the place - sadly no adequate PSU. At the moment and for the past two hours it has stayed on; this was after unplugging the ATX connector on the mobo and re-seating it. It's also an extension lead, the PSU actually plugs into that behind the other side panel and then to the mobo so I should check that as well. I did move the PC around quite a bit when I swapped the fan on the radiator so perhaps something came loose.

I'm going to strip everything down and put everything back again. I might even re-do the thermal paste on the cooler block.

Will have to wait till Thursday though.

Quote Originally Posted by soopytwist View Post
    I might even re-do the thermal paste on the cooler block.
    Just remember, you want as little paste as possible (think 'moist' rather than 'wet') as the paste itself insulates.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    My PC has recently started doing the same thing, twice in two consecutive mornings (5am and 7am). The odd thing is, though, that it can put up with hours and hours of Arma 3 (my brother has been, er, 'stress testing' with several hours of Breaking Point every night for quite some time) but apparently can't handle being idle.

Checking Event Viewer, it appears I've had a spate of these errors occurring since late May, but we've also been having a lot of complete power cuts lately (since April or so) so I wonder if it's a temporary hiccup in the supply making the PC reboot? The only thing with that, though, is that every time we have a power cut my PC turns on by itself but forgets which drive it's supposed to be booting from, but yesterday and today when I've sat at my PC I've been greeted by the log in screen. So I'm puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    My PC has recently started doing the same thing, twice in two consecutive mornings (5am and 7am). The odd thing is, though, that it can put up with hours and hours of Arma 3 (my brother has been, er, 'stress testing' with several hours of Breaking Point every night for quite some time) but apparently can't handle being idle.

Checking Event Viewer, it appears I've had a spate of these errors occurring since late May, but we've also been having a lot of complete power cuts lately (since April or so) so I wonder if it's a temporary hiccup in the supply making the PC reboot? The only thing with that, though, is that every time we have a power cut my PC turns on by itself but forgets which drive it's supposed to be booting from, but yesterday and today when I've sat at my PC I've been greeted by the log in screen. So I'm puzzled.
    That is pretty strange.

After taking everything out and putting everything back in it seems fine now. I didn't do the cooler block in the end because I couldn't find my cleaning and prep solution and tube of arctic paste. I'll find them and do the CPU at some point but for now at least it all seems fine. I can't shake the feeling that there was some weird electrical problem from the socket (I also changed fuse in the plug). Very strange.

EDIT

Neema_t, just out of interest how many and what drives do you have? I have a Samsung SSD for my boot drive and three standard HDD's.
    Last edited by soopytwist; 27-06-2014 at 08:47 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Could be your computer is too hot?
    I kindly suggest you to donate/subscribe to RPS, to help this type of professional journalism

Sounds like an overheating issue to me.

Something is getting too hot and forcing your computer to shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascalaphus View Post
    Sounds like an overheating issue to me.

Something is getting too hot and forcing your computer to shut down.
    During low load at night? I still reckon it's more kinematic and electric than thermal.

Hi,

May following link help you in regarding shutdown of your PC:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25830...by_itself.html

Regards,
    Backuprunner

Some general info (although seems like the OP has resolved the issue) - if your PC is just switching off, it will most likely be one of the following:

1) PSU is inadequate - it may be on the edge of its limits and a small change like a new card or fan may have tipped it over the edge or you have somehow damaged the PSU.

2) Lose connection - I have had this where I plugged a fan into a 4-pin Molex connector/extension to power it and my PC was switching off randomly - when inspecting all the wiring I found a pin was black and it was basically shorting out.

3) Overheating - should easier to diagnose as it would most likely happen under load (or quicker at least) and therefore you can test it out more easily. You could install something like Speedfan and monitor temperatures to keep an eye on them.

In my experience, anything relating to the CPU after moving things around would cause your PC not to switch on at all. I have had about 5 builds where something was not right with the way I fitted the CPU and it would not switch on.

Often it is worth (as the OP did) to removing everything and reseating, especially if you suspect the machine has been jolted around a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsonite View Post
    Some general info (although seems like the OP has resolved the issue) - if your PC is just switching off, it will most likely be one of the following:

1) PSU is inadequate - it may be on the edge of its limits and a small change like a new card or fan may have tipped it over the edge or you have somehow damaged the PSU.

2) Lose connection - I have had this where I plugged a fan into a 4-pin Molex connector/extension to power it and my PC was switching off randomly - when inspecting all the wiring I found a pin was black and it was basically shorting out.

3) Overheating - should easier to diagnose as it would most likely happen under load (or quicker at least) and therefore you can test it out more easily. You could install something like Speedfan and monitor temperatures to keep an eye on them.

In my experience, anything relating to the CPU after moving things around would cause your PC not to switch on at all. I have had about 5 builds where something was not right with the way I fitted the CPU and it would not switch on.

Often it is worth (as the OP did) to removing everything and reseating, especially if you suspect the machine has been jolted around a bit.
    You can pretty much discount #1. The PSU is a 1200w Cooler Master Gold Pro, so more than enough juice for my two overclocked 780's. And we can also discount a fault because the problem has gone away; not indicative of a failing PSU and besides it is under two years old.

#3 we can ignore too as I monitored temps and they all remained stable. If the CPU get's too hot the colour of the Corsair logo on my H100i changes to red and I then get a BIOS alert page. It stayed blue as normal, internal temps and the two 780's were also at nominal idle temps.

#2 is the likely cause because after removing and refitting everything bar the cooler block the problem mysteriously went away. I'm inclinde to think it was probably the ATX connector on the header, although it didn't feel loose I did knock it while installing a new 120mm fan on the header next to the ATX connector.

Plus there's still the possibility there was some sort of strange power surge in the house's electrical supply; though nothing like this has ever happened before, apart from the washing machine blowing a main fuse about a month ago (faulty motor). Also, the possibility there's a fault with the electrical socket on the wall - though everything is connected to a power surge protected extension lead (one of the expensive ones - not those cheap-ass pieces of crap).

Anyway, all is calm once again.

Good to hear it is all ok. Good choice on the decent surge protector - should keep things safer. Yes, those chunky ATX connectors can be hard to tell in terms of connection because there is so much plastic around them. It can give you a bit of a panic when these issues appear!