Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This dude works for the RO2 developers, amirite? This whole thing is just a marketing monkey going insane because his sole job was to get RPS to post a glowing day zero review telling everyone how utterly wonderful Red Ostrich 2 is, and how no one should buy Modern Cod Wars or BFF3.

Seriously though. If you really need RPS' endorsement before you buy the game, PM me. I'll pretend to be KG and write you a 5000 word review that will actually, very subtly, call you a cupid stunt. You will, however, have to buy me a copy of this game, which I will not play.

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    • Evidence of my own senses and ability to think.
    Do not trust your eyes, they can deceive you!
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    It's fucking ridiculous. It's almost like RPS is run by a bunch of real people with actual thoughts, opinions and natural biases. Fuck that shit, what am I paying for if RPS isn't being created by a programmatically neutral news-aggregating AI? Gin?
    I'm guessing that's a less than sly jab at what I said.

I'm all for RPS posting news, and I understand it's a small team, but it feels - to me - as if important things for PC gamers are being overlooked. We get pieces laying into Ubisoft who, unlike some other major publishers, actually develop and publish niche titles for the PC (The Settlers, Anno, Might & Magic; They have had handheld releases, though, but usually not like the PC titles) but they did screw up with their DRM, although I must confess I am not finding it all that bad.

We get pieces which are baseless scaremongering (Skyrim GfWL scare), but then it seems as if pieces relating to the actual screwing over of PC gamers, such as the lack of CE for Arkham City or Ubisoft's inability to release anything meaningful about their PC titles in English, are either not published or the issues aren't mentioned at all. I mean I'm thankful RPS doesn't focus on MMOs all that much, because with Massively and Curse around it's just not needed, but I would love to see more pieces that deal with the state of PC gaming rather than laying into a flawed publisher who make mistakes but still support the PC.

Another article recently that got me thinking was the one about the Unwritten Tales adventure game. No mention was made of its release date in the UK, although it had been announced the week before. It was a good piece, but it seemed a bit odd because it missed out a key bit of information.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imirk View Post
    Do not trust your eyes, they can deceive you!
    I'm talking about my Force-sense, obviously.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    I'm guessing that's a less than sly jab at what I said.

I'm all for RPS posting news, and I understand it's a small team, but it feels - to me - as if important things for PC gamers are being overlooked. We get pieces laying into Ubisoft who, unlike some other major publishers, actually develop and publish niche titles for the PC (The Settlers, Anno, Might & Magic; They have had handheld releases, though, but usually not like the PC titles) but they did screw up with their DRM, although I must confess I am not finding it all that bad.

We get pieces which are baseless scaremongering (Skyrim GfWL scare), but then it seems as if pieces relating to the actual screwing over of PC gamers, such as the lack of CE for Arkham City or Ubisoft's inability to release anything meaningful about their PC titles in English, are either not published or the issues aren't mentioned at all. I mean I'm thankful RPS doesn't focus on MMOs all that much, because with Massively and Curse around it's just not needed, but I would love to see more pieces that deal with the state of PC gaming rather than laying into a flawed publisher who make mistakes but still support the PC.

Another article recently that got me thinking was the one about the Unwritten Tales adventure game. No mention was made of its release date in the UK, although it had been announced the week before. It was a good piece, but it seemed a bit odd because it missed out a key bit of information.
    So what you're saying - or, at least, what I'm getting out of your post - is that RPS needs more writers. :D
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpk View Post
    Modern Cod Wars or BFF3.
    Personally I'm indifferent towards the race for first plaice between Modern Cod Wars and Big Fish Frenzy 3. All I want is a review of Red Snapper 2: Herring of Skirmish.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'm all for RPS posting news, and I understand it's a small team, but it feels - to me - as if important things for PC gamers are being overlooked.
    Given the writers are all PC gamers, and ones who write about what they feel is important to them as PC gamers, then it seems to me that they simply disagree on what's important with you.

Plus of course you actually need something interesting to write an article about in the first place. Ubi's always on DRM is kinda interesting, Ubi's inability to find decent English translators not so much. I mean you could spin it out into an article about companies favouring their home market over foreign markets, but not only would that be somewhat out of place on RPS, it's old news in the first place.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    It's not a PC game news superstore, it's a boutique.

pieces relating to the actual screwing over of PC gamers, such as the lack of CE for Arkham City
    Why would this even be an issue? So there isn't currently a horrendously overpriced version of the game featuring extra tat and nonsense? Well, fuck me, let me write a letter to my fucking MP. I wasn't aware that I wasn't being given the choice to spend even more of my hard earned cash and get the exact same game as an end result.

It's a non-issue and now I'm going to ignore you. Good night.

EDIT: As an aside, Ubisoft don't "support" the PC - they may release games for the format, but they sure as hell don't support it as much as exploit it.
    Last edited by mpk; 21-09-2011 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpk View Post
    EDIT: As an aside, Ubisoft don't "support" the PC - they may release games for the format, but they sure as hell don't support it as much as exploit it.
    I dont think that. I think Ubisoft is a company with internal difficulties getting their act together. The console bits all apparently work, but again, the console versions have very strict deadlines. The PC, not so. (theres an article floating around somewhere, for indie developers, on which way to publish things, look it up)

Heck, there are even "segregated" developer teams in ubisoft internally. I dont know if this has an effect on productivity or not, but like I said, it just seems to me like a slightly malfunctioning company. (remember the AC soundtrack being the rip someone made, just added on into the collectors edition?)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    I trust RPS more than I trust my parents, my brother, my friends, my GP and my local vicar. I'd trust them with anything.

Hey Jim - if you ever need a spare kidney (or two), just call me.

Network Hub
    Results time! Woohoo!

Ok, I've studied the results and I must say, I'm surprised. I had to say that.

We have, 1 Yes and 1 No.

What does this show us?
    Well the answers to that vary, but I think it's a yes and a no?
    What does this mean? Did anyone win?
    Everyone in this thread is a winner. You're all winners. Well done you.

So, in closing, I'd like to thank Jim for not taking this poll seriously.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Auspex View Post
    Do you believe redox to be a valuable member of the RPS community?

These are your choices. Pick as many as you like -

No.
    Certainly not.
    No, sir. No.
    I hear Horace has denounced him as a heathen.
    He offended my tortoise.
    Sunny but maybe showers later.
    He smells like an old piece of ham.
    He’s a worse healer than John.
    He has very low iron levels.
    He is not quite the thing.
    That WASD guy was pretty cool wasn’t he?
    Ooooh, another poll! Yipee! A poll within a poll!

I'll go with,

No, sir. No.

'cos I always wanted to be a military man.

I'll also pick,

Certainly not.

This is fun right? < Not a poll.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I dont think that. I think Ubisoft is a company with internal difficulties getting their act together.
    Nope, they're just French. In France, PR is something that happens in other countries.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm all for RPS posting news, and I understand it's a small team, but it feels - to me - as if important things for PC gamers are being overlooked.
    Nope, things important to *you* are being overlooked. "PC gamers" are not some homogeneous entity. We're all individuals and what one thinks is important others might not. RPS makes no claims to being a comprehensive PC website. Indeed, they're nothing more than a blog and are happy to admit that. A bunch of people that write about what interests them in the field of PC games. There's a good chance it'll match up with what interests you. But it might not. In which case maybe it isn't the site for you. I have to admit, I've read less stuff on here (at least proportionally) since Kieron left. Just because my tastes matched up with his particularly well. But I don't criticise them for that.

And if you really think something has been overlooked, tweet them or email contact@rockpapershotgun.com - just the once. Then they're aware of it. If they chose not to cover it that's their choice.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    The gooseking and cable have nailed it. Next thread plz k thx bai.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    before this thread is closed i just wanted to state that i find mpk's avatar to be incredibly annoying as i can't help but read all his comments with sean's accent.

on-topic:
    don't trust nobody never. keep your tin-foil helmet with you at all times.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 22-09-2011 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redox View Post
    Results time! Woohoo!

Ok, I've studied the results and I must say, I'm surprised. I had to say that.

We have, 1 Yes and 1 No.

What does this show us?
    Well the answers to that vary, but I think it's a yes and a no?
    What does this mean? Did anyone win?
    Everyone in this thread is a winner. You're all winners. Well done you.

So, in closing, I'd like to thank Jim for not taking this poll seriously.
    I don't trust your analysis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Network Hub
    Is it me or is this thread entirely stupid?

Even if writers on sites ARE in the pockets of various companies etc, I don't think they are just going to say 'oh right, fair cop guv'nor, we are bastards'.. so why even ask? As for impartiality and journalistic codes etc, that sort of argument is stupid. It's a relatively small site talking about games, not the bloody state of the global economy, so get a grip. If there is some bias or whatever, it's not earth-shattering. It IS a small team, and some of the trifling details being raised as 'missed stories' are laughable. There is a LOT to cover, and clearly, with a readership of this size, many regard it as a success. Not all the pieces float my boat, nor do they always seem perfect, but it's better than most other things I read about PC gaming so I'll stick with it. I believe that it's nice to hold writers to account, but we come here of our free will and don't have a right to anything. If you don't like it, leave, I suppose. Challenge if you must, if you deem it worthy, but do so appropriately and accept the response. At the end of the day, all writing is subjective, and that's a fact across any journalistic platform, no matter how hard people try to be objective.<br />
    <br />
    Oh, and finally - there are some posters who, at a casual glance, seem to do nothing but try to character-assassinate the site, continually, in various petty ways. Why bother? What's the point? What are you trying to achieve? As mentioned above, idiotic (is it called trolling?) posting won't resolve anything you have a problem with, particularly if there's nothing to say your problem is anything other than the fanatical jabberings of a warped mind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I don't trust your analysis.
    Nonsense. I trust him. I trust him to lie.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen