Crystal Catacombs - This needs to happen!

Hi,

I just stumbled upon a Kickstarter project that needs some serious backing. Behold, Crystal Catacombs. It is a PC exclusive game that blends Metroidvania style action platforming with roguelike mechanics, how awesome does that sound?

You can read more about this project on the Kickstarter page and watch a little teaser: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...stal-catacombs

I have nothing to do with this project, I am just a backer.

You can pre-order the game for a mere US $5.00.

I hope that this project will catch your interest.

I apologize in advance if it is against forum policies to start this type of thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nissanthen View Post
    blends Metroidvania style action platforming with roguelike mechanics
    Hey, sounds like the most generic indie design document ever!

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Don't be mean. The game looks pretty cool. I don't think there's a game that fits the bill just yet. Spelunky is action platforming with roguelike mechanics, but it's not very Metroidvania. Terraria is more Minecraft meets Metroidvania.

If the game is generic, please tell me where to find similar games.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    become a force of glorified and unadulterated awesome sauce!!
    I sighed. For realz.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    The joke is that those games are plentiful in the TIGsource devlogs, but never get made.

Don't get me wrong, I would never wish failure upon a new developer no matter what game they are making, but as it is right now I am skeptical how much thought went into properly planning the project. 11k$, as much as it sounds for an individual, is not enough to go full-time, hire 1-2 programmers, an extra artist, a web designer and a musician, but too much to have them work for free (not to speak of the pain of actually finding those people in the first place).

Will he alone go full-time for the next 8 months? He could maybe barely split the money with a programmer if he has the ability to live cheaply, but that won't leave much for music and other expenses. Maybe he has enough savings already so he just needs a little bit to help him out, I don't know.

The most reasonable thing to do would be to just stick with whatever job he has right now, save up some money and work on the game on the side, slowly picking up willing and reliable team members as he goes.

That sounds so conservative. I'm getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    I am skeptical how much thought went into properly planning the project. 11k$, as much as it sounds for an individual, is not enough to go full-time, hire 1-2 programmers, an extra artist, a web designer and a musician, but too much to have them work for free (not to speak of the pain of actually finding those people in the first place).
    Oh, I agree on that. Tho the developer only says money would go "for the likes of" those things. It's quite possible he's counting on at least some free labor. Think of a game studio as any other tech start-up. The employees could be paid with % ownership of the company or royalties on sales. There's no reason he needs to pay everyone up front.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Hmm. it's also reasonable to assume that there is already some starting capital, and the rest needs to be added via Kickstarter.

Then again, I fear that inexperience in making actual buisiness plans is the more likely cause, but I'm a callous person without much hope for individiual smarts left.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

I can also understand using Kickstarter more for publicity and to generate interest and excitement than for the utility of raising money. Some projects have enjoyed a strong buzz because of being featured there, though the frequency of that may go down as more and more games make it to the site. Maybe some of the novelty of the format is wearing off.

If you're a new indie developer, how do you cut through all of the noise to get the word out about the game you're making? You hope to have your game featured on a site with curated content, and Kickstarter is one place. Unlike an indie games blog, Kickstarter has crossover interest outside of gaming and could be valuable for accessing a casual or irregular gaming audience, too. And it can create evangelists like nissanthen who now feel invested in the projects. I may not pledge money in advance for Crystal Catacombs but at least now it's on my radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    The joke is that those games are plentiful in the TIGsource devlogs, but never get made.
    All the more reason to support this project then! :) I haven't really seen that many Metroid/Castlevania style games on the PC, which is why this game really got me excited.

Oh well, I was really hoping that this was something that would interest most RPS readers and that the project would gain enough support so that it could be completed.

It is currently at $2,414 and at this pace it is very unlikely it will reach the $11,000 goal. There is only 17 days left.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    I can also understand using Kickstarter more for publicity and to generate interest and excitement than for the utility of raising money.
    That is precisely the point of Kickstarter for most commercial projects. You get a little capital, sure, but it's primarily marketing. Testing the waters, building up a group of early adopters, and getting the word out. This is much more valuable than a few hundred sales.

It is rare to see a game project in such an early stage of development, though.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    I will support this project -- one, because the dev's favorite game is Super Metroid, and two, because he's from my hometown. Oh, and CC sounds promising.
    steam

Quote Originally Posted by squareking View Post
    I will support this project -- one, because the dev's favorite game is Super Metroid, and two, because he's from my hometown. Oh, and CC sounds promising.
    Awesome!

I also forgot to post this interview with Maxwell Jensen, who is creator of Crystal Catacombs: http://thumb-culture.com/44856/crystal-catacombs/

They're back! Crystal Catacombs has launched a new kickstarter program and it's got legs! They're already at 43% to goal!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...stal-catacombs

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Ahem. Dear "dboyder222" (who I suppose has no relation to the project manager Dustin Boyder, as he mentions that "They" are back, excluding himself): It is okay to come out and tell us about your product. Really. A lot of indie people do and are engaging in chatting with you if the game is interesting!

However, as this is a forum of moderately smart people (how smart can you be when you play videogames all day long), there tends to be a bit of - probably undeserved! - backlash on people who spam unrelated threads.

Anyway, it worked in this case! I clicked on the Kickstarter page, I played the trailer. It's not my type of game, but I wish the team of course the very best of luck.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Was hoping this would be a sequel to Crystal Caves.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Hey everybody I just started a Let's Play series on this game if anyone is interested in learning more about it! My personal opinion of it is very positive, but you can make your own opinion on it.