Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Papers, Please - are you still reading printed gaming mags?

With Steam and Origin being one of the many nails in the coffin of physical media, I wonder how many of us still rely on a second (or even first) opinion from printed gaming magazines?

I used to read GEE on a regular basis and pick up the current issue of EDGE whenever I was in London, but other than that I pretty much stopped buying magazines covering the current videogaming landscape. I still buy the German edition of Retro Gamer, but then again I am an old fart who enjoys batheing in nostalgia.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I pick up edge each month. Flick to the reviews list. See 14 console games and 2 PC game I completely discount as pointless months ago.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I stopped the time I got the first AC game along TheGamesMachine mag. That means long ago. They used to include amazing tracks along games but I couldn't care less of 2 cd's of demos.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Stopped getting magazines as soon as pc gamer went down hill sci fi now changed writers and I got a lot of stuff magazines gave me on the internet. So unfortunately I do think magazines are dead

Network Hub
    Every once in a while, I'll still buy a copy of Retro Gamer for nostalgia's sake, but certainly not regularly.

Other than that, I've not bought a magazine on any topic for abou 4 years now (non-gaming SFX was my last magazine I dropped). Can't say I miss them, what with the internet being full of opinions (including free websites representing the same magazines!)

I haven't in years. The last time was maybe 6 years ago when I was bored after moving (didn't have a decent computer that could play anything more than Warcraft 3 for about a year). Before that I had subscribed to PC Gamer for say 2 years before the editor changed and I really disliked his style. Ended up going back maybe a year or so later to find the editor had changed again and her style I liked. Stayed with them through her tenure and once she left and the editor changed AGAIN, and his changes were off-putting I finally gave up all together.
    Steam: Am I Doing This Right?
    Rock, Pen&Paper, Shotgun

I shut down The Quanta Cat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I was never really into getting gaming magazines. The thing that would manage to sell one to me would be what demos it had on it's demo disc. When those demo discs started to go though, I became completely uninterested in the magazines.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

eeh, sometimes I pick up an odd gaming mag in an impulse buy in the notion that the articles would actually be genuinely interesting despite the fact that I never had an attention span to soak them up in the first place. Nor the writers are anymore interesting than the story they're trying to write unless it's Gillen behind it. I'd actually read some of the articles off Retro Gamer just to get some zany novel ideas of past games for fun. Everything else is all reviews, reviews, bloated biased scores to fit the gaming hivemind's expectations, etc, etc.

PCG UK ain't what it used to be
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    I think I bought my last print magazine about eleven years ago, when I still was on pay-per-minute dial-up. The local magazines sucked, but they did have cover-DVDs with demos and such, which saved some money on the phone bill.
    English and American magazines got far too expensive to buy here in the mid to late nineties already, so actually buying magazines for their written content was a very long time ago for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I think the last time I bought writings about electronic games in pressed tree form was when I was a wee lad and subscribed to the Swedish Nintendo Magazine. That was about 20 years ago.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I was never really into getting gaming magazines. The thing that would manage to sell one to me would be what demos it had on it's demo disc. When those demo discs started to go though, I became completely uninterested in the magazines.
    Pretty much. Back when I had dialup, or when broadband was ridiculously expensive for tiny usage limits (monthly 300MB limit!), sometimes those discs were the only way to get patches or mods or whatever. Unfortunately they were usually hopelessly out of date by the time they made it to shelves.

I used to pick up PC PowerPlay, which was the big one here in Australia, but since all of the news is available online and much faster, there's no point in buying them anymore. They used to have fun opinion pieces, and the letters section was hilarious for all the random nonsense, but none of that was compelling enough to keep buying it. Which is a shame because I used to look forward to those magazines in the late 90s/early 2000s, I enjoyed reading them. I still get a bit nostalgic looking at them, and have a collection of old ones hanging around here somewhere.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

I do usually grab one at the airport to read on the plane, but I am often disappointed. I enjoyed PC Zone back in the day - Charlie Brooker did ok out of it too - I guess he as too funny for a magazine..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I still buy BGamer every month, even tough they have few PC reviews nowadays.
    It's a mix of wanting to keep them alive, reading stuff in my mother language and a free complete game every month (Psychonauts this month). I'm still loyal to them because it introduced me to BG&E, the Fallouts and many other classics.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    GamesTM havea 7 page spread on Toejam & Earl well played GTM, well played.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Every now and then I pick up the Dutch/Belgian magazine Gameplay, but do so less often now that they've expanded their scope to console games. I like it for some of the in-depth articles and interviews, as well as the special issues focussing on one particular genre or such.

I don't much care for reviews or news, as the former is easily found online and the latter is pretty much pointless since I have no reason to care about games I cannot buy and play.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I do think Magazines still have a place for in depth articles about things, you don't necessarily get that online and if you do its a bit different, with a magazine your already saying to yourself your going to spend a few hours reading this, with the internet it is a little bit different. So If magazines kind of said to themselves well news is definitely out since internet has that so much quicker and reviews shouldn't take so much space and actually just make it into a real feature magazine about in depth subjects I could see them doing well. The price would have to go down though have you seen them now its like 6 for a very thin pamphlet a lot of them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Still get PCG UK as occasionally it's handy to have something to read on paper, but it's not what it used to be. Most of the interesting writers are online these days.

That said, the other week I backed a new UK comedy magazine on Kickstarter so interested to see how that turns out.

Yes, of course I'm still reading paper gaming mags!

I have 6 leftover issues of PC gamer from 1999-2000, and I read one every year.

The last one had a preview of C&C Renegade, and I got all excited for Renegade X.

Don't think I've read a print gaming mag since PC Zone folded, let alone bought one. I only ever bought one or two copies of PCG UK in the past but it never compared favourably to PC Zone, so I never bought it regularly.

If I'm travelling I may sometimes pick up the usual suspects of Viz, Bike or Ride, or if I'm feeling particularly high-brow, Private Eye, but not a gaming mag.

Obscure Node
    Gave up on print a while ago and subscribed to oxm on the kindle but thinking of getting rid of that now also. You find out everything from a couple sites way before the mag will come out