Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Divinity: Original Sin

The full version of said game is out later today.

Did anyone play the Early Access version and would care to share his views? It certainly looks very promising.

Its been sitting in my backlog since winter sale. From what little I played, Im reminded of Baldur's Gate series. It wont hand hold you as there is no quest marker and you have to rely in your journal, the x,y of the map and the dialog window to finish some quests.

And I hope their editor will be like what the NWN editor did to the community.
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I was sold on it by this

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/divin.../2300-6417405/

Ignore the rent-an-asshole in the hat (where do these people come from?) - instead, listen to the dulcet (Dutch I assume) tones of the guy from Larian - he sells it well, I think.

And its updating now!
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Dutch I assume
    Most definitely.

This is a game I've been keeping an eye on, and will probably enjoy once I get some time to properly get into it. It's on the wishlist for sure.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Larian's a fascinating studio. I never clicked with Divine Divinity, and thought Dragon Commander was an ambitious but abject failure. But Divinity II/Dragon Knight Saga is one of my favourites: saved from being just a briefly interesting Diablo II/Skyrim mashup by clever writing, varied mechanics, and a whimsical but melancholic world. Original Sin sounds like a perfect medium for what they do best. Definitely watching for reviews.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I played through the beta a couple of times. It will take people a little while to get used to the game. It has some weird control things, that work but you have figure them out first.

Its a great RPG so far. I can't wait to get into the full game.

Obscure Node
    Hope this will be good

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Seems to have pretty in-depth skills and levelling and there's a nice punch to the combat. A nasty CTD just ended my first session though about an hour in, hope this isn't going to be a common occurrence.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Played an hour or two, mostly tutorial, but so far the game seems packed full of potential. Feels good. Can you really not rotate the camera full 360? I really really really hope that the editor is powerful and relatively easy to use and that the Neverwinter Nights modding community moves over to this.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Ok, so there is plenty to like about the game so far, but I'm really not liking the writing. Everyone has so much to say and very little of it is interesting. It kind of has the air of thinking it's far more clever and witty than it actually is.

I appreciate that they're trying to go beyond the norm, of just giving slim justifications to kill stuff, but I keep wishing they'd just get to the point.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've played for about an hour (reached first town, not much else) and I do like it so far. The combat is indeed punchy and just kinda feels 'right', I'm certainly a fan of the various elemental synergies. The game does have me feeling like I want to keep going, though I'm falling into my usual indecision with which character class to play (I've ended up going with a wizard and enchanter in the end, full magic and covering all elements).

On the negative side, the writing really isn't of the greatest quality. The out-of-combat movement is aggravatingly slow (in my opinion) too, but that's just a minor quibble.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I really love the title, but apparently I'm too stupid for dialogues in co-op.
    I'm playing with a friend in co-op and dialogue - when the other player started it - is abysmal. You get the text in the small window to the right. It's barely possible to follow it when there's just one NPC around, but when in a city, the constant non stop quips from the NPCs carpet bomb any chance of following the dialogue as every line of actual dialogue is drowned in the everlooping random sentences of passerbys.
    And when the Co-Op Dialogue opens, it blends out the message log, so I usually don't even know what the hell I'm supposed to make a decision about.

So, any solution to that I'm simply missing?

/edit:
    So the Journal keeps a log, that's something. Doesn't help a lot if new dialogue keeps swarming in but I guess it's a start.
    Last edited by theForged; 30-06-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    I really love the title, but apparently I'm too stupid for dialogues in co-op.
    I'm playing with a friend in co-op and dialogue - when the other player started it - is abysmal. You get the text in the small window to the right. It's barely possible to follow it when there's just one NPC around, but when in a city, the constant non stop quips from the NPCs carpet bomb any chance of following the dialogue as every line of actual dialogue is drowned in the everlooping random sentences of passerbys.
    And when the Co-Op Dialogue opens, it blends out the message log, so I usually don't even know what the hell I'm supposed to make a decision about.

So, any solution to that I'm simply missing?
    I think you can choose what appears done in the bottom right, and only have the convos going. I like the idea of co-op convos, but they have never really got them working right :/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeh, but sadly "This reeks of orc stench"x200 times is still going to show up in there :(
    Continuing on, with timed quests to boost, this is completely unusable to me. My Co-Op Partner gets all the fun while I get to crawl through journals, constantly flicking back as it autofocusses on the newest dialogue. :|

Alright:
    Workaround, use the journal to follow dialogues. It omits the quips.
    Last edited by theForged; 30-06-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am progressing well.

My current party:
    - Zombie rogue. Loves to swim in poison.
    - Spidersummoning Wayfarer. Summoning the spider, firing posion to zombie rogue for heals, and some damage, also have a flare, to put things on fire.
    - Clever Cleric. Some demon hunter idiot we got in the town. The dude have a million skills, a lot of them usefull, like froze this, and fire a ray.

Life is good.

The strongest impression I've got so far is that the NPC barks play far too often. I could see that getting teeth-grindingly infuriating if one had to stick around somewhere for a long time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Played a bit this morning (I had no idea it was already out, thought I was installing the early access version!) and so far mostly positive impressions. Haven't played anywhere near enough to make a verdict, but it seems like a relatively relaxed and thoughtful RPG with a light sense of humour and a lot of room for trying (in my case probably failing) to be clever and experiment. And it's pretty and seems to run well to boot.

So, GOTY then. :)

My one complaint so far echoes DarkFenix above; there's lots of dialogue and while it seems serviceable and some of it is funny it also seems like it could get too much after a while. The movement speed also feels just a little bit too slow and I wish there was an "always jog" option.

Apropos dialogue, does anyone know if it's possible to increase the text size in dialogue boxes and logs? I usually sit a little bit away from my monitor and find myself having to lean forward a bit whenever I want to read something.
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 01-07-2014 at 07:04 AM.

Network Hub
    It'd be nice if there was an option to prevent repeated dialog. A lot of games have it, but it's over the top in this really, NPCs repeat lines every 5-10 seconds non-stop, it's bizarre.

No one has as many friends as a man with many cheeses!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davkaus View Post
    It'd be nice if there was an option to prevent repeated dialog. A lot of games have it, but it's over the top in this really, NPCs repeat lines every 5-10 seconds non-stop, it's bizarre.

No one has as many friends as a man with many cheeses!
    Yeah .....
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0