Lesser Hivemind Node

The Walking Dead Season 2

Couldn't find a thread on this anywhere, so here goes one since all the episodes are out (which I was waiting for before I got the game). Wow. In many ways it wasn't quite as good as season 1, but Clementine is still one of the best characters in gaming history. The ending doesn't quite have the emotional impact of the first game's end, but as I've found out I didn't get one of the best written ones.

I got the ending where I shot Kenny, stayed with Jane, then accepted the family. I watched the other endings on Youtube afterwards (same as with season 1, I played through once and I'll live with my choices), God damn the endings with Kenny are massive tear-jerkers, he was really one of the stars of the show this time round. I'm really looking forward to season 3, the divergent endings of season 2 should make things a bit interesting to start (as opposed to the fairly mediocre opening to season 2).

So where did everyone else end up? What choices did you make?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Same as you. I was never his biggest fan tbh, but guy had turned into a mad dog.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I got the ending where I shot Kenny (this really really pulled my heart strings, let me tell you) and then told Jane to go fuck herself on a spiky, tetanus-infected pole.
    While it's certainly not as great as Season 1 (and not many things will be able to top that ending) it was still great, and Clementine was an absolute badass of a character, kid or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    and Clementine was an absolute badass of a character
    STILL. NOT. BITTEN

It was good season, but that one retrospection was probably the best part of it.

It also have the fucking worst death ever presented in videogames: when Luke have a trouble on the frozen lake, choose to approach him. Clem and him will fall into water and we will see Luke drowning. Jesus Christ, I hate water.

Am I the only one who doesn't hate Arvo? He was just a kid and when he started yelling "LEAVE ME ALONE" when Mike approached him at that electric station (uhm, there are probably some other words for it) I was really sorry for him. :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'm reading no posts because spoilers, but I nearly stopped playing it after the end of ep 2, i was I think justifiably worried after the governor in the WD TV series made me rage quit the show to never return.

After playing ep 3 I can see that Carver isn't going to be so narrative ruining. I look forward to future survival horror with renewed enthusiasm.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Why Governor made you quit watching TWD TV series? o_O
    He was one of the best things in that show.
    If it was because Governor was too brutal - you better do not read comics. There are worse people than him.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Why Governor made you quit watching TWD TV series? o_O
    He was one of the best things in that show.
    If it was because Governor was too brutal - you better do not read comics. There are worse people than him.
    No, it's not his 'badness' it was his pantomime villainy, and terrible strategy choices for which he persistently gets away with (but that's the everyone in WDTV series). Evil is fine it's the unironic moustache twirling.

Edit: Don't get me wrong I hate rick and his shitty wife (so glad she got dead) more. It's just I get that American TV needs superman justice hero Captain Americas( unreasonable sweeping generalisation) for its principal protagonists, Rick had a moment and growth which was instantly followed by a breakdown, oh mental health used to mitigate responsibility, nice job corporate television think tank.

If I sound bitter it's because I'm so much happier with the game (which I played first) and the show falls in a long shadow.

Darryl I could watch all day, even his derlerium induced imaginary brother made more sense than half of Ricks character development (or rather lack of).
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 13-09-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Loved both games and totally agree, Clementine has been a great character. The whole Lee Clementine relationship was so masterfully done as well.

I agree the second's ending was good, but the first game's ending was unparalleled. I think it has been one of the most if not the most engaging narrative I have experienced in games, TWD1 that is. And TWD2 is very close too.

At the end of TWD2 I killed Kenny. I like how it forced the split second decision lol, and it was basically the choice between the devil you know and the devil you don't. I chose "survivalist habits" now rather than Kenny's firecracker personality. I assumed the sisterhood that Clementine developed with the girl should be good, but TWD and similar series are invariably fatalist so who knows what happens./spoiler

Lesser Hivemind Node
    @Helio: I stopped watching the TV series mid-season 2, it just got so damn boring. The games are far superior and you must play through them. By law. But yeah, steering clear of reading posts until you've finished is probably advisable, every now and then someone does forget to white out a spoiler.

@All: Looks like most people shot Kenny (seems the logical choice given the situation). If that ending got you in the feels (and if it didn't, you're not human), go to Youtube and watch the ending where you let Kenny kill Jane, go with Kenny, then stay in Wellington. That one is by far the most emotional ending, a close second being the one where you let Kenny kill Jane, then leave him behind. And don't forget the dream scene where you see Lee again, God damn that got me in the feels.

Regarding the endings though; assuming Clem remains the protagonist of season 3 (and I personally will be leading the torch & pitchfork mob if she isn't), don't expect much from the season 2 endings to stick. Divergent endings mean they'll have to basically get rid of the differing content ASAP in season 3 episode 1 to re-converge the storyline to a single path. But shit, whatever happens I hope I get to kill Arvo. Clem is sure as hell tough enough to do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    STILL. NOT. BITTEN

It was good season, but that one retrospection was probably the best part of it.

It also have the fucking worst death ever presented in videogames: when Luke have a trouble on the frozen lake, choose to approach him. Clem and him will fall into water and we will see Luke drowning. Jesus Christ, I hate water.

Am I the only one who doesn't hate Arvo? He was just a kid and when he started yelling "LEAVE ME ALONE" when Mike approached him at that electric station (uhm, there are probably some other words for it) I was really sorry for him. :(
    That bit was fantastic, Clem really is the most badass kid ever to grace a game.

Didn't overly care about Luke really, he had his ups and downs; at best he was smart and good-natured, but more commonly he was all too ready to get into pointless pissing contests with others.

I think you are the only one who doesn't hate him, so let's see, he's part of a gang of Russian bandits, he lies about having a sick sister to gain sympathy, then he lies about my group robbing him (I let him keep the bag of meds) to justify his own banditry, then he shoots Clem. How could anyone not hate him after that? I mean, it's not like there aren't points of sympathy in his favour, he loses his sister right in front of him and he unjustly gets the shit beaten out of him by Kenny, but the fact is he's a lying, stealing little douchebag long before he's given and provocation.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 13-09-2014 at 02:25 PM.

The dreams.... the dreams! :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Yeah, watching the other endings is definitely recommended, first thing I did after finishing the game. And, while other endings may be more emotional, I'm pretty happy with the one I got.

I don't get how so many people went with Jane after what she'd done. Sure, Kenny was a stray bullet, but Jane forced you into a position where you had to kill Kenny based on a LIE. A very, very horrible lie. And at that point, Jane wasn't that much better than Kenny, obsessed as she had become with using you as a replacement for her little sister, like Kenny was trying to find a replacement for Ducky. The lie was just the last straw. A big, 18 wheeler sized straw. </spoilers>

I don't know, I chose the same ending as Fenix but I felt like the seams were much more visible this time around. Choose between two alternatives and the other one ends up happening anyway and is promptly written out. Then there is the many shaggy dog stories such as Sarah or Nick that don't go anywhere despite your best efforts. It was still vastly superior to most other games but it also seemed more predictable.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I ended it the way Rauten did. After all the events, that was the only acceptable outcome to me. I wish it didn't have to go that far. Even days after finishing it, I still got sad when thinking about it. *sob*

It's a worthy successor to the 1st season, which isn't a small achievement. Sure, after having experienced a Telltale game before, you kind of get the hang of it, so it doesn't feel as fresh anymore. But the overall story was good, and that's all that really matters to me. My expectations have also been bigger for S2, since I went into the 1st one just being curious what all the fuss in the press was about, and was pleasantly surprised.

I agree with you Rauten.

For me though it was simply based on the events preceding, and how many of such (bad) events their were concerning the character in question.

Neither choice is perfect definitely.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think one reason the seams are so visible now is courtesy of the first game. We all know we'll end up in basically the same place with the same people regardless of our choices, the only difference being when someone dies in most cases. I think season 2 did about as good a job as season 1 of maintaining the illusion of choice and I give it full credit for the last chapter providing a real choice.

Regarding Jane's manipulation, she couldn't possibly have know she'd end up in a position where Clem was forced to kill Kenny, she just provided the little spark that set off his powder-keg temper completely. Did she expect the reaction she got? Probably, but as twisted as it was, Kenny was going to end up doing that sooner or later, a baby's odds of survival in that world are slim to none. Even Kenny himself recognises that you made the right choice when you shoot him, he's a good man and he knows he's become a monster, or at least has a monster in him that he can't contain.

Watching the endings - having not played the game - I have a question: is this the last planned season?

The endings were quite divergent, unless they're planning Season 3 to start off in different areas but through the plot have the two endings end up in the same place (and continue Season 3 from that shared location).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dudebro View Post
    Watching the endings - having not played the game - I have a question: is this the last planned season?

The endings were quite divergent, unless they're planning Season 3 to start off in different areas but through the plot have the two endings end up in the same place (and continue Season 3 from that shared location).
    They've said there'll be another season. It'll likely just be with new characters in it since the second season doesn't really have a canon ending, or they'll decide what the canon ending is and stick with that.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    They've said there'll be another season. It'll likely just be with new characters in it since the second season doesn't really have a canon ending, or they'll decide what the canon ending is and stick with that.
    Well, the second season sorta does have a canon ending. Split as it does, there's plenty constant there. 90% of the game follows the same path and you're always with AJ at the end, just with Jane or Kenny and in one of two specific locations (or one inspecific location). Of course, they could simply have the protagonist be someone like Lee from season 1, a character interacting with Clem but not Clem herself, in which case the divergence of season 2's end could simply be handled in a few lines of conversation after you encounter her.

I don't really care so long as Clem forms the core of the story, one way or another TWD series is her story and has been the better for it. And I think everyone who played season 1 and 2 is a bit attached by this point, I sure am.

Obscure Node
    looking forwards to season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I'm reading no posts because spoilers, but I nearly stopped playing it after the end of ep 2, i was I think justifiably worried after the governor in the WD TV series made me rage quit the show to never return.
    The Governor ends up having one of the most interesting character arcs of the series so far. But maybe that's not saying much, since he, Lori's Husband, and Michonne are the only ones who even have arcs.

OT, well, this all answers my question - whether it was possible to end up with Kenny.

I did wonder about that, since it seems to suggest that you might not be playing as Clem in Season 3... but they could still just do what they did with the opening to Season 2: [implied events] happened, [period of time] passed, and now here you are. They could even write a couple of diverging beginnings both leading to the same point. Basically what I'm saying is, now that I've had a chance to play as Clem, bastards had better not even consider making me play as someone else.