Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Hopefully someone will make an inventory mod, it desperately needs one. But.. c'mon man, a lego brick? You some kind of sadist?
    I read every post in the thread with growing disbelief that no one had mentioned this yet.

It brought back a few good memories when I found out that I had to leave a gold reserve in every character's inventory or they'd be unable to repair their gear.

Then i noticed that I can't swap items in the barter window
    And you can't look at other characters' inventories while you're setting up a barter
    The barter screen has a shift-click keybind to move an item to the barter list
    You get out of the barter screen to swap stuff from one guy to the character with barter bonuses
    The shift-click has stopped working.
    The drag and drop action you have to use to move things around is pretty buggy, and your intended placement gets kicked back to where it started a lot.
    If you drag something above a closed backpack, it swaps places with it instead of putting it in the pack.
    The inventory icons are really small, all the same size, and can be difficult to see.
    Items you pick up appear in your bag in no particular order (i think) .
    When you read a book, you have to click the X in the book window to close them without closing the inventory (i think).
    The tool tips are in 5pt font.
    I think the special ability tips are in even smaller font.
    a lot of NPCs have 10 or more spells that have the exact same icon, forcing you to study the tool tips, which are in 5pt font.

My conclusion: I do not have inventory nostalgia for the RPG's i played 10-15 years ago.

I don't have complaints otherwise- I absolutely love this game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout_XL View Post
    It brought back a few good memories when I found out that I had to leave a gold reserve in every character's inventory or they'd be unable to repair their gear.
    You can repair gear for free if you have a repair hammer and one character with a point in blacksmithing (Or was it crafting? One of those). While you're controlling the character with repair you can repair the other characters' stuff directly in their inventory, no need to send gear around or talk with a shopkeeper one by one. I keep all my gold on the character with +barter gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    After so many hours I really hope that whoever designed the inventory steps on a lego brick. It's so fiddly and makes crafting a chore.
    I just keep tools and upgrade items in a separate backpack, open it and use items from there on items in my inventory. It's not too bad, but the sheer amount of crap you (or I, at least) pick up makes it a bit cumbersome to sort everything out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    You can repair gear for free if you have a repair hammer and one character with a point in blacksmithing (Or was it crafting? One of those). While you're controlling the character with repair you can repair the other characters' stuff directly in their inventory, no need to send gear around or talk with a shopkeeper one by one. I keep all my gold on the character with +barter gear.
    Didn't realise that bartering is character specific too. Would make a lot of sense to give one character the pack mule trait and absolutely all your crap and have them be the official quartermaster which is quite cool.

I just had a look at the Nexus mods page (possibly NSFW). 4/10 of the first mods released are "sexy" re-skins. I guess it was inevitable.

There's one that fixes broken crafting recipes though, might give it a try if I start a new game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    The music is really good in this game.

Obscure Node
    I am loving this game, even coop is blast. Playing on a friends game and seeing how his different choices affects things and the different ways he solves quest is pretty cool. 30 hours in and still loving It. Also there is a 4 player coop mod in steam workshop already. Finally after starting over once have a party that seems to kick ass and finally found out I had access to the hall of heros( been running around with only 3 party members for waaay to long) now I am starting to progressat a more reasonable rate.

Do the henchmen hired in the Hall of Heroes level up with you, or do they remain at the level they were hired at?

I am not sure clockwork.. I had heard that you can level henchmen up to your level if they're below, but I've been sticking with the same group since the beginning and can't really confirm that myself.

Henchmen level in the same way as other characters and you can allocate their stats, abilities and talents as you like. There's a range of heroes for hire, from levels 1 to 20. You can hire characters of max one level above your starting dudes.

I hired a level 1 wizard when my party was level 3 and they caught up pretty quickly. There must be some xp scaling going on (although I hadn't noticed) because my sellstaff is currently about equal in terms of lvl/xp.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Has anyone really found any good use for food? I've got a ton of the stuff in my inventory, from whole pumpkins to full pizzas, and I never end up using it. In theory I like the idea of being able to make various food, but it generally heals for far less than any spell and ends up giving you some kind of debuff anyway and overall doesn't seem to add anything to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbill View Post
    Henchmen level in the same way as other characters and you can allocate their stats, abilities and talents as you like. There's a range of heroes for hire, from levels 1 to 20. You can hire characters of max one level above your starting dudes.

I hired a level 1 wizard when my party was level 3 and they caught up pretty quickly. There must be some xp scaling going on (although I hadn't noticed) because my sellstaff is currently about equal in terms of lvl/xp.
    Oh. Well that makes things a bit easier!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I kind of wish there was local co-op support that wasn't LAN for this game, I would ge tthis game i na heartbeat for me and my girlfriend if there was. Come on Modders get onto that it can't really be that difficult!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I haven't had an opportunity for a good sit-down-and-play, but I've been nibbling at this game in short sessions. Although it at first strikes me as generic fantasy RPG, it quickly intrigues with mechanics.

I think I'd be truly hooked if I could zoom out quite a bit more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have read on the internet that if you fire a henchmen and rehire him, he will level up to your level. I have not tried it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    I haven't had an opportunity for a good sit-down-and-play, but I've been nibbling at this game in short sessions. Although it at first strikes me as generic fantasy RPG, it quickly intrigues with mechanics.

I think I'd be truly hooked if I could zoom out quite a bit more.
    As soon as I opened up 360 degree rotation in the menu, navigating became a lot less frustrating. I would like a further zoom out as well, but I'm thinking that might just be some kind of setting in the INI. I'll look into that a bit more when I get home from work and let you know.

Has anyone really found any good use for food? I've got a ton of the stuff in my inventory, from whole pumpkins to full pizzas, and I never end up using it. In theory I like the idea of being able to make various food, but it generally heals for far less than any spell and ends up giving you some kind of debuff anyway and overall doesn't seem to add anything to the game.
    I can imagine the food that doesn't set bad debuffs might be worth it just before a fight early on in the game but I haven't bothered and now I'm level 20 and +1 to a stat won't make any noticeable difference. If you were playing without a hydrosophist and took the talent that doubles food effects it might be good for healing and buffs, but as it is it's hardly worth the action points to use in combat or the fiddling to use it before combat starts.

Now I feel tempted to try a play-through without any healing skills. That would also make crafting a lot more useful overall whereas now I only use it to improve equipment.

By the by, it seems like a lot of the changes in the big patch hasn't actually been put in the game. The Teller of Secrets still sells me stat and skill books every level for example, and a bunch of recipies that the patch notes says are fixed still don't seem to work.

Obscure Node
    I am not sure clockwork.. I had heard that you can level henchmen up to your level if they're below, but I've been sticking with the same group since the beginning and can't really confirm that myself.
    Once you hire one, tell them to leave the party. Then ask them to join again and they will catch up to your current level. At least the level 1 guys do.

Any extra fee?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just killed the big boss for the first map, after some nasty surprises I managed to kill them in a delightfully jammy way on my second attempt. Massive spoilers below, of course:

Well first of all he does that big fireball that almost wiped me in one hit on the first attempt. To get around this I used a fire shield scroll on one of my party, then split the others off to the side before engaging, which seemed to work pretty well. The brave fire-resistant rogue managed to take the hit and tank a load more fire damage after the fight had begun.

So he summons the three other bosses. It was going well enough but I definitely expected to die again at some point. Then I managed to quickly burst down the Twins by Fire Joined, since I saw an opportunity and remembered their attacks being nasty. And when the Twins died they left behind a pool of lava, familiar to me from accidently killing a recently revived party member after the original Twins fight. Anyway, that's when the inspiration struck and I used one of my wizards to teleport the Ghoul Wot Guards the Lighthouse into the lava, thinking that the poisonous blood splat from falling might detonate and do extra damage. To my delight the Ghoul just evaporated into thin air. A couple of turns later I did the same to the Baron of Bones, who also evaporated instantly.

Then I just whittled down Braccus Rex, figured since he is made of fire he would probably be immune to the lava but who knows? Didn't have a teleport spell off cooldown to try it out.

Pretty cheaty if you know about it, but noticing an opportunity mid-fight, taking it and seeing it work felt great!

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Pretty cheaty if you know about it, but noticing an opportunity mid-fight, taking it and seeing it work felt great!
    It sounds like exactly the sort of thing that makes the game great. :)

I finished the game yesterday and on the whole this is the most fun I've had with an RPG in years. It encourages experimentation and exploration in ways that seem all but forgotten and gives the player lots of mechanics and the freedom to figure things out for themselves. It's a big ball of fun and I looked forward to every time I'd get home and had time to sit down and play for a couple of hours. I think the greatest mark of praise I can give it is that after the credits I immediately started a new game on hard difficulty with different characters.

That said it has some rough edges, and because this is the internet and I want to vent a bit I'm now going to complain about all the things that annoyed me: Here are the 7 Deadly Sins of Divinity: Original Sin.

#1. Tiny hidden switches. Every time I got stuck on a puzzle or hit some barrier I couldn't cross it'd be because I'd missed some invisible button or lever somewhere in the level. Having to zoom in and lean up to my monitor while walking slowly around an area hoping to spot some invisible bastard button (without even knowing if there would be one) is not good puzzle design. It's not even a puzzle. It's all the more baffling because there are actually a bunch of much better puzzle mechanics in the game (elemental effects, combining items, etc.) so why anyone would think pixel hunting for switches was a good idea is beyond me.

#2. The difficulty towards the end. For the first 2/3 of the game the difficulty felt just about right; I had to pay attention, plan and use skills together; it kept me on my toes but there was always some way of dealing with a situation. Towards the end though, I started out-levelling everything I faced. My characters were completely immune to all elemental damage and most status effects, and every fight could be solved by buffing the warrior and sending her to hit things in the face with her axe. She could 1-shot several bosses by just walking up to them and using Flurry.

#3. Some of the skill design doesn't make sense. This is a slight mechanical spoiler. Each weapon type has it's own skill which you can raise to deal more damage with that type. However, later in the game you get access to weapons infused with "Tenebrium" as well as the ability to add Tenebrium damage to normal weapons and these deal more damage. The problem is that these weapons use the separate "Tenebrium" skill to determine damage instead of the skills for their respective weapon type. So let's say I had a warrior who dumped 15 skill points in 2-handed weapons for a 50% bonus. If she was to use a late game 2-handed weapon infused with tenebrium however, she would get no benefit from her 15 points spent in 2-handed and instead only a 10% bonus from the default Tenebrium skill rank.

I have to assume this is a bug or mistake because I was finding unique tenebrium weapons giving bonuses to skills which didn't work with tenebrium weapons. There are other skill issues, but those aren't major problems.

#4. The loot is a bit boring. You'd think in a game with so many different mechanics and lots of room for weirdness there'd be opportunity for interesting gear, but nope, it's just +stats and everything seems completely random. Some pieces will let you cast spells, but all I found was basic stuff like Flare or Ice Shard. I was still happy when I found something good, but nothing felt really cool or special.

#5. The crafting is a mess, and a lot of the recipes simply don't work. There's just so much stuff and the recipe descriptions and interface don't really help at all. I couldn't imagine trying to craft stuff without tabbing out and looking up lists of recipes on the internet.

#6. Writing. OK, so I actually liked a lot of the writing but I can't do "the 5 deadly sins", can I? The tone of it is mostly light-hearted and often fun and charming. The main story never really interested me; it's mostly competently plotted, there are set-ups and pay-offs, characters have arcs and motivations and it's internally consistent; but the premise is a bit silly, I never cared about all the End of the World stuff and I correctly predicted how it would end very early on.

The actual dialogue is also a bit mixed. Some characters go on and on forever (like me in this post!) and whoever wrote Ye Olde English bits should have their sweets taken away. Oddly, given the sheer quantity of dialogue, many characters will not acknowledge when you've completed a quest and instead keep urging you to go do something you've already done, which is a bit jarring.

#7. The obtuse quest journal. I like that there aren't quest markers leading you by the nose and that the game doesn't always spell out what to do next, but you get a *lot* of quests in this game and sometimes it'll be tens of hours (and real-life days) between getting a quest and actually getting around to doing it. It'd be nice if the journal was a little more consistent about noting down vital hints because odds are that I'm not going to remember everything a character said, only once, four days ago.

Well, that's an awful lot of words and effort spent complaining and nitpicking, but that's what the internet is for (right?) and none of it stops me from saying this is definitely one of my favourite RPGs of the last decade.