Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Just finished my second playthrough. It was fun, but it ended up even easier than my first towards the end and I feel like I'm pretty much done with it now. I hope they get around to making more like this, and hopefully adjust the difficulty so that the combat towards the end doesn't turn into a sleepwalk.

That battlemage character I was a bit worried about earlier turned out fine. Actually, she turned out ridiculous. Here are her (buffed) stats at the end of the game.

And (SPOILER, obviously) here's how the last big fight in the game went. That's 10k damage in one attack, on a boss which has just over 10k HP, on hard difficulty. Oh well.
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 06-08-2014 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Just finished my second playthrough. It was fun, but it ended up even easier than my first towards the end and I feel like I'm pretty much done with it now. I hope they get around to making more like this, and hopefully adjust the difficulty so that the combat towards the end doesn't turn into a sleepwalk.

That battlemage character I was a bit worried about earlier turned out fine. Actually, she turned out ridiculous. Here are her (buffed) stats at the end of the game.

And (SPOILER, obviously) here's how the last big fight in the game went. That's 10k damage in one attack, on a boss which has just over 10k HP, on hard difficulty. Oh well.
    How on God's green earth did you get stats like that? My highest stat was 20 and most of the rest of them were 10-12. I never found a piece of equipment with anything better than a +2 buff to one stat and buffed belts/boots/rings were in scarce supply (in fact, some of my characters still didn't have belts at the end).

Needless to say, my experience during the end battle was significantly more challenging than yours.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    That gear looks like the fruit of a lot of merchant save scumming. Save just before you level and (with sufficient patience) you can ensure you're getting optimal gear every time. I was careful to check every level and did a reasonable amount of it myself and I didn't find gear even approaching that grade. Hardly surprising the last boss was a borderline one shot, then again it's not like the boss isn't a pushover anyway assuming you've enchanted your gear a bit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They did say those are buffed stats. So presumably the character has that elemental resistance witchcraft buff, encouragement buffs etc. Could it just be this causing the appearance of incredibly OP gear?

No save scumming, I just visited the merchants each level up as soon as I could access them and bought whatever upgrades they had. Add in the body mastery books every level from level 9 (+15 attribute points), 3 talents and some spare skill points traded for attributes (+8 I think) and one more from a quest.

Buffs: Inspire, Burn My Eyes, Wildfire, Str and Per potions, Rage, Oath of Desecration.

I didn't put as much effort in the other characters so they weren't quite as silly, but they were still all completely immune to elemental damage and had at least +5 to body building and willpower so were practically immune to status effects, without buffs.

I wouldn't complain about it if it wasn't for this being on Hard. I don't feel any particular desire for games to be punishing, but the combat system in D:OS is great when you're forced to react and think creatively with skills and that kinda falls apart when you're controlling an indestructible party which can kill any enemy in a round or two. At higher difficulties it seems reasonable to assume that players will try to finish most quests and spend some time to develop and plan out their characters but it seems they still assumed players would end the game at level 20 with mediocre gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    No save scumming, I just visited the merchants each level up as soon as I could access them and bought whatever upgrades they had. Add in the body mastery books every level from level 9 (+15 attribute points), 3 talents and some spare skill points traded for attributes (+8 I think) and one more from a quest.

Buffs: Inspire, Burn My Eyes, Wildfire, Str and Per potions, Rage, Oath of Desecration.

I didn't put as much effort in the other characters so they weren't quite as silly, but they were still all completely immune to elemental damage and had at least +5 to body building and willpower so were practically immune to status effects, without buffs.

I wouldn't complain about it if it wasn't for this being on Hard. I don't feel any particular desire for games to be punishing, but the combat system in D:OS is great when you're forced to react and think creatively with skills and that kinda falls apart when you're controlling an indestructible party which can kill any enemy in a round or two. At higher difficulties it seems reasonable to assume that players will try to finish most quests and spend some time to develop and plan out their characters but it seems they still assumed players would end the game at level 20 with mediocre gear.
    Who sells body mastery books? I never saw those.

And you got really, really lucky with equipment then, because (for example) I only saw one orange belt during my entire 90 hours in Divinity and I visited the "home base merchant" many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    Who sells body mastery books? I never saw those.

And you got really, really lucky with equipment then, because (for example) I only saw one orange belt during my entire 90 hours in Divinity and I visited the "home base merchant" many times.
    Slight spoilers: The undead merchant outside Hunter's Edge sells legendaries as well and they re-stock every time you level up. The stat books are sold by the Teller of Secrets at the End of Time; she'll have one of each every level up, giving one attribute point and three skill points and I got another book giving +1 attribute for helping the goblins. There are some other places where you have a high chance to get upgrades; opening the magically sealed chests in your home base seems to guarantee at least 3 lvl 20 legendaries for example.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Kind of hit a wall for the first time.

I had just started the Phantom Forest area but feel like there is other stuff I may have missed in the previous zones.

Basically, I've done pretty much everything in Hunter's Edge and have the option to fight the incredibly tough sentinels in Tomb of the Knight. But I haven't released the White Witch in Hiberheim - have only broken into the prison, don't know how to get into the rest of the castle. And there is a cave in the north of Luculla that I haven't been able to explore, behind loads of mines along a ruined road and some orc slavers.

The fact that the sentinels are so tough and the watcher guy's nonsense dialogue suggest that there may be a way around that fight. The other obvious options for progression would be to fix the wizard's mirror in that hidden basement in Hunter's Edge or release the White Witch, neither of which I can progress with.

Anyway, I don't really want spoilers, which is why I didn't just search for clues on t'internet. It's also worth pointing out that I do not have pet pal. I wanted to save that for a future playthrough. Any hints, suggestions or just reassurance that I'm not on totally the wrong track are welcome.

Figuring out how to thaw out the white witch would be a good idea, yes. Sounds like you've skipped quite a lot along the way to Hunter's Edge, so going back to explore and solve earlier quests would be helpful.

About the sentinels, IIRC (and this is a FIGHT SOLUTION SPOILER) they deal elemental damage, so buffing your gear with some elemental resistance and/or resistance pots and Elemental Absorption (if you have scrolls or a char with Witchcraft) will make it trivial. They can also be charmed and will make short work of each other. You can also talk your way out of it but need to find an item to be able to do so.
    Last edited by Skalpadda; 08-08-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Cheers for the hint, I really wasn't sure whether or not to keep hammering away at that. Think I will leave the sentinels till later.

Update: finally worked out how to get into the castle and finished up a lot of stuff. Don't know how I missed that before, since I even spent time specifically checking for ways through the stone gate in the south, checking all the way along those cliffs etc. Ah well!

Killed the sentinels too, by making them path all over the place through a maze of fiery ground, created with Firefly. Also knocking them over and stabbing them.

Update 2: was searching through my bag for some spell scroll and found a scroll to dispel the barrier outside King Boreas's castle. Ah bugger, done it the hard way already. Really need to pay more attention to the crap I carry around.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 10-08-2014 at 03:01 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Finished the game a while ago, good stuff. Started a new game on hard pretty much straight away with two lone wolves and the combat is bloody difficult at the beginning. But I have discovered the solution to early game combat difficulty!

Run away.

Just run away. Just keep running when you are in trouble and coming back, picking them off one by one. If you can kill one of the enemies, you can kill them all.

That's one of the few issues I have with the combat mechanics. Just make the enemies heal when you run.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm pretty sure they do heal when you are away. Not sure if they ress each other, early game I guess they don't have access to revive as much anyway. Dead ones seem to have stayed dead so far.

Now I've found a new problem though - a fight where three separate enemies can knockdown my two lone wolves, basically stunlocking them from the first turn onwards. Guess the solution is to stunlock them first, but ensuring both of my attacks are successful (and then still having to eat one stun and actually fight the rest of them) is tricky.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Finished the game a while ago, good stuff. Started a new game on hard pretty much straight away with two lone wolves and the combat is bloody difficult at the beginning. But I have discovered the solution to early game combat difficulty!

Run away.

Just run away. Just keep running when you are in trouble and coming back, picking them off one by one. If you can kill one of the enemies, you can kill them all.
    Really? They always healed up; I assumed they also respawned. Huh. I could swear it didn't work for me, but it's definitely possible I never properly tried and am just conflating things because they definitely heal up.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Man, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm bouncing off this game each time I boot it up. There isn't much (anything?) that I've experienced thus far - mind you, I haven't gone past Cyseal yet - that seems very compelling. I think the longest I've continuously played was about an hour before I began to feel very... bored.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by dudebro View Post
    Man, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm bouncing off this game each time I boot it up. There isn't much (anything?) that I've experienced thus far - mind you, I haven't gone past Cyseal yet - that seems very compelling. I think the longest I've continuously played was about an hour before I began to feel very... bored.
    It is a slow burner. Its not an rpg to appeal to everyone. I think it gets a lot more interesting story wise when you are passed the murder quest and are beginning to unravel to conspiracy of the conduit. The gameplay does not change at all, so if thats whats boring you, there is nothing that can help that.

Quote Originally Posted by dudebro View Post
    I was playing with my teenage son co-op this weekend. When we were in Cyseal, his comment was "lots of talking", which translates to "boring" in teen-speak. Cyseal isn't very good IMO as the quests aren't compelling, the dialog is mediocre, the characters aren't memorable and the loot to be found or purchased is uninspiring. He wasn't thrilled and really didn't want to play anymore.

I convinced him to get through Cyseal and out into the wilderness and suddenly he loved the game as the awesome combat mechanics kick in. After a particularly tough battle, he'd come into my room just to spend 10 minutes reliving the last awesome battle and how we used an exploding barrel, a teleport spell and a backstab to win against a greater foe. Good times. Now he wants to play that more than anything else. So yeah, grind through Cyseal and maybe things will change for you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Granath View Post
    I convinced him to get through Cyseal and out into the wilderness and suddenly he loved the game as the awesome combat mechanics kick in. After a particularly tough battle, he'd come into my room just to spend 10 minutes reliving the last awesome battle and how we used an exploding barrel, a teleport spell and a backstab to win against a greater foe. Good times. Now he wants to play that more than anything else. So yeah, grind through Cyseal and maybe things will change for you.
    Yeah, basically this. It takes quite a while to level up in Cyseal if haven't done it once already, there are completely separate quests spread out all over the place. If you are finding it really hard to finish anything might I suggest visiting the graveyard on the north edge of town? Think there is some immediate fun stuff there.

It does kind of seem like the biggest issue in the game - that levels 1-3 in Cyseal are such a wall for so many people. It really is a shame, at no point after that are you ever stuck in a particular zone, let alone a non-combat one. Maybe they should have put a crypt or something in the town where you could battle low level monsters for a bit before heading out...

But yeah, once you get to level 3 or so and out of the town it speeds up a lot, with the combat taking centre stage. If you still aren't enjoying it after than then I weep for you.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 02-09-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks, guys, I'll trudge through Cyseal and report back after I've played some more.

I ran out of steam in this shortly after the end of the Cyseal quests. I can't place what it is exactly, but it's probably the same cause that meant I never finished the first Witcher game or Baldur's Gate.