Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 270
  1. #41
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,009
    Oil + Fire + Teleport = win

    Zombie trait + any poison based trap = win

    I am starting to be able to melt faces of hostile npcs.

    My current strategy is to seed the battlefield with oil. This breaks the ai, that don't know what is the best idea. The summon my two mamouth spiders to tank, then continue seeding the field with more oil. Maybe teleport some random dude, maybe stun him and have the spoider ate his face.

  2. #42
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    648
    Playing it some more, I continue being impressed by it. It's a really great game. I really love the freedom it gives you and the little details like talking to pets and actually getting something back. For example, there was this trapdoor we couldn't reach nor figure out how to get to through normal means, but just wouldn't give up. I was playing a Ranger, so I could basically jump there, but my friend - a mage - was stuck without an option. Until we just grabbed the teleport scroll, nearly killed him in the process but got him over the wall. I guess this is the equivalent to "Our Surveillance Drone broke down? Well let the troll throw and catch the dwarf, so he can peep over the walls".

    When it works, it's mad fun and everything I wanted from it. Just don't try to co-op it right now, unless you're playing with someone in the same room and can see on their screen. Because following Dialogue is just not feasible for the other player and you'll need a lot of busywork to play. Like, the dialog initiator must not click (end) or Let me decide options, until the other player has read the latest in dialogue lines in the journal. Reason being: Once you click end, the NPCs often do stuff and you need to follow them - no chance to read. And clicking Let me decide or similar will open the co-op dialog and force close the journal and the message log. Enjoy not having read half the discussion you're making a decision on.

    Co-Op is a mess for that reason and we gave up on it until they fix it. One might circumvent it through either sitting next to each other or using voicecom to read out all the lines or some similar approach.

  3. #43
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    907
    Trying a four character run now (at least now that I've discovered where to pick up a plethora of generic henchmen of every possible class), my mains are a knight and ranger, my companions are a witch and fighter. As squishy as each character feels, it's no longer game over when someone gets stunned or frozen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Oil + Fire + Teleport = win

    Zombie trait + any poison based trap = win

    I am starting to be able to melt faces of hostile npcs.

    My current strategy is to seed the battlefield with oil. This breaks the ai, that don't know what is the best idea. The summon my two mamouth spiders to tank, then continue seeding the field with more oil. Maybe teleport some random dude, maybe stun him and have the spoider ate his face.
    Oiling everything up worked great for me, right until the moment I encountered some kind of fire elemental things. Fire healed them, poison would instantly explode on them and heal them. Bugger.

  4. #44
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Trying a four character run now (at least now that I've discovered where to pick up a plethora of generic henchmen of every possible class), my mains are a knight and ranger, my companions are a witch and fighter. As squishy as each character feels, it's no longer game over when someone gets stunned or frozen.


    Oiling everything up worked great for me, right until the moment I encountered some kind of fire elemental things. Fire healed them, poison would instantly explode on them and heal them. Bugger.
    There are quite a lot of element immune or healing enemies, poison and fire are downright unreliable as it's quite common for enemies (including a couple of tough bosses) to just heal - from fire in particular. I've found ice weapons and water magics useful mainly due to this (even if they don't have the same easy combos and outright damage as oil & fire or poison cloud & fire)

    I am onto the second map now, to the north of Cynowhatsit and pretty pleased with the game. The combat and levelling are especially deep and I just like that there are a lot of different ways to play the game. Of course, now that I'm relatively far into the game, my first impulse is to start again with a full custom party since I actually know I'm doing.

    The writing still feels like someone has been reading too much Terry Pratchett, but there's less of it outside of the big city.
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

  5. #45
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    There are quite a lot of element immune or healing enemies, poison and fire are downright unreliable as it's quite common for enemies (including a couple of tough bosses) to just heal - from fire in particular. I've found ice weapons and water magics useful mainly due to this (even if they don't have the same easy combos and outright damage as oil & fire or poison cloud & fire)

    I am onto the second map now, to the north of Cynowhatsit and pretty pleased with the game. The combat and levelling are especially deep and I just like that there are a lot of different ways to play the game. Of course, now that I'm relatively far into the game, my first impulse is to start again with a full custom party since I actually know I'm doing.

    The writing still feels like someone has been reading too much Terry Pratchett, but there's less of it outside of the big city.
    Yeah fire/earth magic seems always to be either amazing or useless with no middle ground. I think if I go mage-heavy ever again I'll give them opposite elements (so one fire/water and the other air/earth); it'll make synergies a bit more difficult to set up but it'll ensure no character is ever useless in a given fight.

  6. #46
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,552
    Playing with a rogue / support-mage combo with only the fighter companion and it's pretty great. Scoundrel has some fantastic skills and backstab does tons of damage.

  7. #47
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Yeah fire/earth magic seems always to be either amazing or useless with no middle ground. I think if I go mage-heavy ever again I'll give them opposite elements (so one fire/water and the other air/earth); it'll make synergies a bit more difficult to set up but it'll ensure no character is ever useless in a given fight.
    Water + Electricity seems to be incredibly useful. Especially with rain; you get a huge AoE then the electricity will hit everything that's wet, usually stunning them to boot. Makes the early combats fairly simple since the enemy rarely get to move (just be careful with stunning your own guys).

  8. #48
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    Playing it some more, I continue being impressed by it. It's a really great game. I really love the freedom it gives you and the little details like talking to pets and actually getting something back. For example, there was this trapdoor we couldn't reach nor figure out how to get to through normal means, but just wouldn't give up. I was playing a Ranger, so I could basically jump there, but my friend - a mage - was stuck without an option. Until we just grabbed the teleport scroll, nearly killed him in the process but got him over the wall. I guess this is the equivalent to "Our Surveillance Drone broke down? Well let the troll throw and catch the dwarf, so he can peep over the walls".
    You can throw your teleport stone and then use the other one to get to it.

  9. #49
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    You can throw your teleport stone and then use the other one to get to it.
    Implying we had said stone at that point. ;)

  10. #50
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,552
    Oh boy.

    I'm about to finish Chapter 1, have ticked off all side-quests and just now discovered the room with the crime scene in the inn. I blame the camera!

  11. #51
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    Water + Electricity seems to be incredibly useful. Especially with rain; you get a huge AoE then the electricity will hit everything that's wet, usually stunning them to boot. Makes the early combats fairly simple since the enemy rarely get to move (just be careful with stunning your own guys).
    Water + Ice is also very good, hitting a wet enemy with an ice spell basically always freezes them. Not as good as stun (any fire magic that applies warm/burning melts the ice, and frozen enemies have huge physical resistance) but it still puts one enemy out of the fight for a while.

  12. #52
    Activated Node tem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    44
    It might be because I have never played one of these old school RPG's before but I am really struggling with this game at the moment, feels like whenever I try to get somewhere in a quest I just hit a wall, that being a locked door which is too high level, running into enemies way over my level or having to fight 10 mobs at a time.

    I find myself constantly saving every where I go just incase a trap blows my party apart of I run into a zone with higher level enemies.

    I am currently trying to get to 'the cave' for the murder quest but I am stuck fighting over 10 mobs which I lose every time.

    Can anyone give me any tips for a beginner like me in this genre - running a knight and rogue and it seems to me like in Dragon Age Origins, your best having ranged attacks and just AOE.

  13. #53
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by tem View Post
    It might be because I have never played one of these old school RPG's before but I am really struggling with this game at the moment, feels like whenever I try to get somewhere in a quest I just hit a wall, that being a locked door which is too high level, running into enemies way over my level or having to fight 10 mobs at a time.

    I find myself constantly saving every where I go just incase a trap blows my party apart of I run into a zone with higher level enemies.

    I am currently trying to get to 'the cave' for the murder quest but I am stuck fighting over 10 mobs which I lose every time.

    Can anyone give me any tips for a beginner like me in this genre - running a knight and rogue and it seems to me like in Dragon Age Origins, your best having ranged attacks and just AOE.
    My advice is don't try and just do one quest, you can get some xp and items in town by exploring(getting into back rooms or hidden rooms) and then circle outside around the town, you should be able to get to the lighthouse, maybe the church or past the trap room without too much trouble, there are some dodgy fights out there but if you don't stray too far you should get some levels and some nice loot. You need better items, always better items and potions. Stock up on potions and spread them out along the group, you should have 4 people by the time you leave the town.

    The traps are a pain, leave the beach to a little bit later as you know there is a large group there. Try to find the legionnaires, there are a couple of big boss fights that might be a stretch but you can run away from them.

  14. #54
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,552
    Explore the entire town first, make sure you finish every side quests you can and steal every painting/golden cup possible, as well as pickpocket some folk. The early money boost pays off. After that: go exploring. There are three major routes you can take from town and I found clearing off the smaller groups on the difficult ones was possible and helpful due to XP & loot.

    Fill your group up to 4 (either henchmen or the two companions in town) and experiment with their synergies. Especially cooperating mages can wreck havoc.

    AOEs in this game aren't that powerful and tend to hurt your allies. They are more important due to their status effects and in what way you can use them (e.g. Fire + Rain + Electricity = stunning smoke).

    Rogues are excellent glass cannons. In the early game I often used invisibility on mine to put him next to enemy archers/mages, drew in melee mobs to the tank and he went to town.

  15. #55
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,009
    Quote Originally Posted by tem View Post
    It might be because I have never played one of these old school RPG's before but I am really struggling with this game at the moment, feels like whenever I try to get somewhere in a quest I just hit a wall, that being a locked door which is too high level, running into enemies way over my level or having to fight 10 mobs at a time.
    I think the game is a bit hard on the beggining, specialy if you try to skip the town and go to the areas round the town. Until you are like level 3, just make the twon your primary zone and have fun in it.

    The moment you find some exploitable combos and you are like level 4, you can go around the town, and farm the simpler quest, like legionaries. Then slowly clear other zones. Its not a game to rush in a direction and facemelt the stuff you meet, mostly because the game uses both quality and quantity against the player, spawning lots of mobs that are as good as you at playing the game.

  16. #56
    Network Hub Dubbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    443
    Good news in today's patch notes:

    - Fixed the repeating voice problem that drove everybody bananas
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbill View Post
    Good news in today's patch notes:

    - Fixed the repeating voice problem that drove everybody bananas
    but bananas are good

  18. #58
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterCacty View Post
    but bananas are good
    Not when someone else is driving them

  19. #59
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    33
    As a long time fan of Larian I immediately backed the game on kickstarter and was pretty psyched. That being said, after teh first two hours, I am a bit grumpy about how unfriendly the controls are. The camera is awful and it drives me nuts that I can't rotate it 360 or zoom it all the way in during conversations. Also the fact that you can not simply switch between characters in the inventory screen if you click on the portrait. And I find the classes and the skill, trait, etc mechanics a bit to obfuscated.
    But I guess I won't notice those gripes anymore in a couple of hours. It is just baffling that Larian effortlessly created one of the greatest and most interactive combat/magic systems in RPGs and then botch up the interface...

    Oh, and I really regret not taking Pet Pal. I wanna talk to the monsters!

  20. #60
    Activated Node tem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    44
    Cheers for the tips guys, finally beat the stupid mob and now in the cave, I am enjoying the game but their are so many parts I just shout out 'Bullshit' - from traps that instantly wipe you out, killing enemies which instantly explode a element on you.
    That's my main problem currently with this game, the difficulty is incredibly cheap and just revolves outnumbering you with mobs and fucking you up with element effects - turn times are incredibly tedious as well.
    Find myself saving every 5 minutes and just loading up fights if they go bad, cant say that's a immersive RPG.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •