Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    The 70s Lone Wolf & Cub movies are fun, overly violent cult classics, but very much in the 70s Kung Fu so bad it's good area of film.

There is also a newer TV series. Which is nicely shot and acted, and clearly has far far far less blood. I've seen more of that one than the older one. (It, like many japanese samurai tv dramas, has a kind of A-team vibe. Each week they wander into a town, get involved in some local dispute, and at the end defeat the local bad guy).
    I don't think either of the TV series are that easy to get outside japan, but they might be on youtube or somewhere.

It's a difficult choice, but if I have to name a Best Film Ever Made, it'd be Apocalypse Now.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    12 Angry Men for me. I have a hard time convincing my friends to watch it, let alone appreciate it, though.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Obscure Node
    Fight club hands down

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodofosho View Post
    Fight club hands down
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fincher
    “My daughter had a friend named Max. She told me ‘Fight Club’ is his favorite movie,” he said. “I told her never to talk to Max again.”
    :P

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/fi...on-1201269843/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yeah read this article to see that the film doesn't really work as a satire

http://badassdigest.com/2012/01/22/f...david-fincher/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Yeah read this article to see that the film doesn't really work as a satire

http://badassdigest.com/2012/01/22/f...david-fincher/
    The point there seems to be that people didn't see it as satire but that's how I always took it. Also I thought Tyler was a jerk from quite early on in the film and never found him particularly alluring.

I have watched it twice and I have to agree with hulk, the fight club and the anarchy part is played up as very alluring in the film and makes you kind of want to stick it to the man as they do. I can understand why not a lot of people see it as a satire because of it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    It does contain ludonarrative dissonance.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

I have watched it twice and I have to agree with hulk, the fight club and the anarchy part is played up as very alluring in the film and makes you kind of want to stick it to the man as they do. I can understand why not a lot of people see it as a satire because of it.
    See I don't think it is. This reminds me of "Al Murray the Pub Landlord" and when ITV audiences started enjoying that un-ironically. I don't think that's a criticism of his actual comedy though.

Anyway I found the anarchy but to be less alluring before Edward Norton's character caught up with it. The fact that other people have unironically gone out and started their own fight clubs in real life doesn't change my enjoyment of it, people are just idiots.

Same goes for Starship Troopers. Or in an inverse way 300.

Starship Troopers is obviously a satire though and people who don't see that are kind of stupid.

Fight Club I am not so certain on since so many people don't see the satire in it, im pretty smart with filmaking and usually I do see the underlying messages in films but Fight Club unerves me because I get so caught up with the fight club and the anarchy plot and because I think them destroying the banks and stuff within the film seems like a good thing. Maybe people see it differently but I think they are reading into something the film really isn't saying that strongly.

Starship Troopers is obviously a satire though and people who don't see that are kind of stupid.
    I think you overestimate people. Particularly those indoctrina, I mean, the ones who read the book.

I don't doubt people are sometimes stupid but I think most people get that starship troopers is not serious whether they truly get the satire or not is another thing entirly. They are good comparisons of why Fight Club doesn't work as a satire, troopers is excagerated and clearly not taking itself seriously while fight club is a lot more serious and totally is.

I mean the plot could be seen as a satire I mean its not a good thing chucking away your home, job, and wanting to blow up buildings. But chucking away your home is seen as a good thing within the film. The quitting your job especially the way he does it seems very satisfying and goes into that boss revenge fantasy people have. And well who wouldn't want to blow up a bank?

And internally to Starship Troopers everyone is very pleased with mindlessly shooting bugs and going "HOOOO HA!" a lot.

Like Call of Duty...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    And internally to Starship Troopers everyone is very pleased with mindlessly shooting bugs and going "HOOOO HA!" a lot.

Like Call of Duty...
    HUA, surely (heard, understood, acknowledged).

Hooha is vagina.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    HUA, surely (heard, understood, acknowledged).
    The more you know!

On an unrelated story, PC MVA is Police Cruiser Motor Vehicle Accident, for us Need for Speed diehards.

I'm just gonna put my favourites here, I'm not qualified to judge "Best film ever made".

Horror: 28 Days Later.
    Comedy Horror: Zombieland.
    Animation: Lilo and Stitch.
    Action: Letters From Iwo Jima.
    SF: Alien.
    Fantasy: LOTR+Hobbit.
    Thriller: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
    Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.
    Never Fear Love.
    DTP. Grace.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    I think you overestimate people. Particularly those indoctrina, I mean, the ones who read the book.
    You can't satirise a book you're unfamiliar with. Well, you can, but the only people who're going to be impressed are others who haven't read it. Low-hanging fruit, you might say.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Hot Fuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    The director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven is a masterpiece.
    I should check that out. When it comes to Ridley Scott movies there always seems to be two versions - the meh theatrical release and the awesome director's cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    When it comes to Ridley Scott movies there always seems to be two versions - the meh theatrical release and the awesome director's cut.
    Ridley Scott certainly seems to be misunderstood by the film corporations, the director's cut versions always seem so much better in his case