Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar

Johnny did you hear about this one? R.E.M. Breaks Up

Was randomly surfing tonight and came across the sort of below the radar news that REM is dissolving:

Rolling Stone article

While they haven't had any huge hits that I know of recently, their music in some shape or form has always been in my mp3 player or CD binder for a couple of decades.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Hmm interesting, I swear they probably would have made some more albums since Collapse Into Now came out and it sounded like the band was gearing up to be like big again or something. But it probably is the label making them go like that

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah it's sort of odd. As they've never been averse to taking a few years off if they want to pursue other things while keeping the band 'together' and just returning to it when they feel like it. Never expected them to publicly break-up right after an album, more figured they'd go five years not doing anything and then it'd be announced quietly that they'd packed it in.

I've never actually listened to Collapse Into Now. Was it any good? I seem to remember reading a few pretty good tracks but I forget (if I ever read) what press the album as a whole got.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Noooooooooo
    :(

My day is ruined.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I saw Michael Stipe in a rental car yesterday. I suppose everybody Hertz sometimes.

REM should have packed it in years ago, but I can't dislike them, as a couple of their older songs are lovely, and quite affected me when I were a young'un.