Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Rock Paper Dragon (D&D Online)

This thread is for players interested in playing D&D Online together a few hours per week.

There is a Steam group RockPaperDragon, and a spreadsheet.

We are playing on Ghallanda. There is an in-game guild named Rock Paper Shortbow.

How it works:

We are not using fixed groups, instead scheduling sessions on the spreadsheet that anyone interested can sign up for.

Sign up for a session by making the cell under your name green. There is a maximum number of 6 players unless noted otherwise. If the session is filled, use a darker green color instead to be a reserve, and to show that another session could take place at the same time. All times are in the current British timezone (GMT or BST) unless noted otherwise.

Schedule a session by adding a new line on the spreadsheet with a date and time and any other details necessary.

We are using a Mumble server for voice chatting thanks to Nullkigan. (Instructions)

More details as we discover them.

---

Original post:

The recent article on MMO dungeons/instances made me want to try out Dungeons and Dragons Online. I'd prefer to play it with some other sensible RPS folks new to the game and expect to play it a few hours per weekend.

Anyone else tempted to try it out on a similar schedule?
    Last edited by Jolima; 11-12-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    am I right in thinking it has gone free to play? if so i'd certainly be up for a wee bit of dungeon crawling

It has indeed. Which is why I'm interested really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Used to play D&D waaaay back in the day when there was a 10 level cap, it wasn't free to play, they hadn't introduced Drows yet (and then they did and I had to do a quest or something to get to play one). I remember it as being pretty decent and having a good amount of D&D feel implemented into it.

I would be up for this thing, especially if we can get a quiet corner of the RPS mumble server to mumble at each other while we play - and only if you're serious about the "a few hours per weekend" thing, and we can get an RPS group to play on the same schedule.
    There's always one guy who goes racing ahead - I'd find the old penny arcade about that, but I am lazy.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I tried it briefly and found it really fun but it without a group it lost it's lustre trying to solo the content, a regular group for short bursts would be more then enough to bring me back though!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Recommendation: Build a core group of three or four people, and fill as needed. Have other characters, but play those three or four together. Make sure you got the classics: Trapsmith, healer, arcanist, meatshield. There's a lot of variety in each of those, so don't feel too limited. It's brilliant fun exploring all the adventures on your own time in a group.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Obscure Node
    Sounds fun, I'm up for it if the party isn't full yet. Are beards a requirement?

I could play if we get a nice group together. I was actually thinking of seeing if we could get a D2 playthrough group going but this seems even better.

@ PW - You've teased us now so you have to find it. :p
    Last edited by duff; 22-09-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    By the way, I'd love to join but my time schedule is all over the place and unreliable in the extreme.

If you opt to start your group on Ghallanda though, I do have several characters all over the place from level 4 to 20 that would love to join your party on occasion. (And I never spoil quests or puzzles for newbies.)
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

I could really be interested in this. I never quite managed to get into DDO seriously before - I think a proper group of people who are actually on in my timezone was the missing element.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I'm tempted, i'll have a look at this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Oh man, I'm very tempted to get back into this. Not sure how much time I can devote though.

Would this be a once-a-week team thing, or more than that?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I gave this a quick spin ages ago as a shape changing into a badger with a badger summon and a badger companion. I called it 3B but I can't remember why. I would like to play this with real people rather than the silent drones you normally get.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    id really be up for a couple of hours a week sort of dealio

If this isn't too time-consuming, I might give it a shot and lend a hand. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I gave this a quick spin ages ago as a shape changing into a badger with a badger summon and a badger companion. I called it 3B but I can't remember why. I would like to play this with real people rather than the silent drones you normally get.
    LOL
    I was wondering what my first character was going to be.
    Now I have at least one idea clamoring for the prize, and I haven't even looked at the character generator.

It doesn't look like you're going to be short of people, but if you are, count me in! DDO looks very interesting indeed, especially with a group of like-minded RPSers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    I could play if we get a nice group together. I was actually thinking of seeing if we could get a D2 playthrough group going but this seems even better.

@ PW - You've teased us now so you have to find it. :p
    It took me ages. Ages.
    It's called "a being of idescribably power". It's from 2004. And it's not there.

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/12/31

tell you what, here's a video of Brian Cox being well into science instead (warning - swears)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhn8j...layer_embedded
    Last edited by President Weasel; 23-09-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    That the one?

Looks like we have a lot more people than can fit in one group, which seem to be 6.

What I've done is create a Steam group RockPaperDragon, created a spreadsheet and scheduled an event in both of them to play a first adventure this Sunday from 10-12 AM BST. If not enough people can join it we'll reschedule.

When that has filled up, or if you can't make it on that time, please announce some other time to get another group started. Since we are so many, hopefully we can have a loose schedule and some intermingling between groups with people joining whichever suits them that particular week. Ask and I'll make you admin of the Steam group to make announcements.

To get this working we should all play on the same server I suppose. Ghallanda was mentioned. Anyone opposed?

That's it. Hope it works. Suggest improvements or tell me what I've missed. Etc. Etc.

Also, don't level away from the group. :-)