Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks Screwie, I made a sorcerer last night and couldn't really get into it. Might reroll for tonight if I get chance.

@PW - ah I will try that. To be fair I was pretty tired when I fired it up.

EDIT: Oh and do rangers totally suck when they go for a ranged build? (Sorry, totally new to DDO)
    Last edited by duff; 25-09-2011 at 03:31 PM.

I think Rangers do just fine with ranged combat. The official DDO forums should have some more info on that (see Screwie's link) and the DDO wiki is also a good point for quickly looking things up. Although I try not to read too much of that info since it gets me in the mood for powergaming. I'd rather play a slightly underpowered funny character then yet again a streamlined jerk with no soul. ;)

On a related note: I got mumble to cooperate! Hussa!
    Last edited by Squiz; 25-09-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Sounds groovetastic, I haven't played D&D for a while but would like to tag along if that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by moondogjazz View Post
    Sounds groovetastic, I haven't played D&D for a while but would like to tag along if that's ok.
    Just enter your details into the sheet (see page 1 of this thread). I guess we'll handle grouping quite flexible depending on who is online at a given time. Although applicants for a certain time should have priority over people that are spontaneously showing up it shouldn't be much of a problem to split or rearrange groups if need be.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I'd like to join in. I can probably do Mumble, but the only mic I have right now is on my wireless Xbox 360 controller, which complicates things a bit, given the controller's liability to switch itself off if you're not actually using it.

Although actually playing with the gamepad is not out of the question, I just tried it and did find it a little harder than mouse and keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I'd like to join in. I can probably do Mumble, but the only mic I have right now is on my wireless Xbox 360 controller, which complicates things a bit, given the controller's liability to switch itself off if you're not actually using it.

Although actually playing with the gamepad is not out of the question, I just tried it and did find it a little harder than mouse and keyboard.
    The thing about VOIP software like mumble is that even just listening in can improve things vastly. Or so my experience with Arma indicates. It can be funny listening to someone panic, and it can be useful to hear them shout out a warning well before a typed one would reach you. Plus it adds a layer of intimacy to the whole affair, as you can hear (some) of the people you are playing with and realise "these are distinct people, who deserve respect, and aren't just oddly programmed bots who occasionally send me messages which I read in my own mental voice". Or maybe that last one is just me. If there is someone who is very annoying and refuses to use push to talk and therefore breathes into the mic, you can even quietely local mute them by right clicking on their name...

(I tend to prefer mumble because it has an overlay that tells me who is talking without causing most games to crash ala TS3. In-game voip is an acceptable substitute when I know the people I'm playing with, but it's not universal in either quality or support for basic functions like Push to Talk. Thank you, Space Marine.)
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nullkigan View Post
    Or maybe that last one is just me. If there is someone who is very annoying and refuses to use push to talk and therefore breathes into the mic, you can even quietely local mute them by right clicking on their name...

(I tend to prefer mumble because it has an overlay that tells me who is talking without causing most games to crash ala TS3. In-game voip is an acceptable substitute when I know the people I'm playing with, but it's not universal in either quality or support for basic functions like Push to Talk. Thank you, Space Marine.)
    I'm not a fan of blaming things on consoles, but I think that one really is the consoles' fault. Push to Talk isn't really feasible on a console, when you need all your buttons for other stuff, and I guess there is that lazy mentality of, "If it's good enough for consoles, it's good enough for PC".

(That said, Xbox 360 headsets do have a convenient switch for switching your mic on and off... the problem is no-one ever uses it.)

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post

Gamepad isn't viable at all for harder content, you can't turn around fast enough/adjust your camera correctly. That and eventually you're going to have too many keybinds.

------------------------------------------------------------

Still haven't created my character yet, I've spent hours looking around on the DDO forums for a decent build, seems as if everything is either outdated or not intended for new players. Was originally planning on making a healer but it seems as if Update 11 screwed with the UI and there are tons of complaints about it on the forums.
    Last edited by elfbarf; 25-09-2011 at 07:25 PM.

I suggest you take it not too seriously. That is what I meant further up: Powergaming shouldn't be necessary, as long as you are with some other people that work together as a team.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Alrighty, this evening's session is just starting to meet.

(Room for more!)
    Last edited by Screwie; 25-09-2011 at 09:14 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I created an elven ranger for the thursday session. Did first town quests together with harakka and nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by boots468 View Post
    Yes, thanks everyone. It's a better game than I was expecting really, and can see it being pretty cool if we manage to get a fairly bg group of people going through the game at a similar speed. Our group today must have been questing for about an hour or so, and has just hit lv 2.
    Level 2, or Level 1, Rank 2? Just to clarify how far we should get.
    Last edited by Screwie; 25-09-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    I think most of the morning gang hit level 2

Cool, then we ended up at about the same spot.

Thanks to all who turned up for the evening.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    I just hit level 3 soloing, since I couldn't join any groups. I figure you guys will all pass me up eventually, judging by how MMOs usually go for me ;) but maybe at some point I will run into you. The spreadsheet frightened and confused me, but I'll join the steam group =)

I made a monk tonight (US time) and... I have no idea what I'm doing.

But I sure look good doing it! :D They've totally redone the "Heyton's Rest" quest. I've only done that once, and the Cannith Crystal one once, I'm at level 1 rank 2.

As it seems that some folks are already up to the level/quest benchmark laid down by the first group, but are eager to come back for more on Thursday *coughmetoocough* ...I hope its not too much trouble if we end up getting a little ahead of the group?

The main purpose I see in an even-leveled (heh) group is that no-one gets left behind in the story arc and needs to look for a group by himself. In addition, people can easily jump in and lend a hand if someone is not showing up. So if we could manage to stay at around the same level and game area, that should be just fine. Alternatively, we could create secondary characters that are free to "roam" the game and advance at their own pace.

I have rolled a rogue to go 1 rogue/1 fighter/18 ranger called Oberron Crane. What level did you guys get to in the last session so I know what level to get him to for Thursday?
    Last edited by moondogjazz; 26-09-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    level 2 rank 1 to 3 maybe, just done with all the town quests and ready to head out for the island