Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,979

    Constructive posting, memes, the hivemind and you.

    I wonder what we can do to have some healthy comment section on the frontpage. Some things have his own inertia, and the influence on everyone is very strong. And nasty.

    Memes:

    Forced of otherwise, the humour from them is stupid, meta and dry. I am personally to blame for a lot of memes mention, because I am stupid, meta and dry, but is not something I want to read. I consider a good post is not just repeating the last memes in the right positions. That would be /r/gamming, and the world don't need another place like that.

    Hivemind / Groupthink / Conducted biased thinking:

    If the article poster include a "danger word" like MOBA or MMORPG that seriously affect the tone of the following comments. At the moment MOBA is a swear word, so if the journalist mention it on the title of near the top of the article, all the post will be negative. Even if the journalist add the word to say "this is NOT a moba". I don't like this because after the third comment, all of them just repeat the same opinion. Also is a repeat from similar articles where the word has been mentioned. Sometimes I feel the journalist is playing with our weak minds. Why are we so easy to influence? I hope people become a tiny bit more resiliant to that, so they have unique and original opinions of his owns, not following the groupthink. Or what the journalist say.


    Constructive posting

    So theres a few things that we do wrong, and a lot of things we don't fail for. But our post are still not great. What could possible mean constructive posting here?. I already try DRY, so people don't have to read my stupid opinions more than once. Maybe try to avoid the above problems. Maybe some humour are ok? if you are a funny person.


    This may sound as bad science, but I think people fall for groupthinking, because they want to be part of something, and they want to be accepted. So the easiest way to "fit in" is to parrot what the group seems to think. We are group animals (like wolves) so is how we are designed and build... theres very little we can do to stop it, except know that it exist, that exist for biological reasons, but that we are also animals capable of rational thinking, so we can opt-out of that, have our own opinions different than the ones of the group, and still be accepted.

    Maybe to make that easier, accept if respect different opinions from whiting our community.

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,627
    I gave up on the comments threads as a place if communication. It does need healing but I have few suggestions.

    Maybe some vaguely reddit like 'upvoting' could deputise the better posts but that didn't work out so good on reddit
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,288
    What Heliocentric said. Particularly after the per-article RSS comments feed went kaput, and they introduced the mail thingy. We have the forums, which are superior in every way.

    They could do something like Escapist or Ars Technica and have a subforum where all the news get a single thread for discussion, that gets mirrored under the article proper. That would require much more moderation than it currently exists, not to mention tech expertise and would completely destroy the delusions of grandeur we old-timers have around here.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  4. #4
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,284
    I dont think allow posts to get up/downvoted to be a good feature, it only encourages the whole group-think hivemind mentality.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

    Bread?

  5. #5
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,577
    Im just happy Im not a moderator on the comments, or I wouldnt stop working on it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  6. #6
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,979
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    I dont think allow posts to get up/downvoted to be a good feature, it only encourages the whole group-think hivemind mentality.
    Yea, people use these as "disagree" and "agree", making them useless.

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Yea, people use these as "disagree" and "agree", making them useless.
    Even in the PC gaming deals (essential for sale surfing) which has a strict only downvote inactive deals people relentlessly downvote games they don't like.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  8. #8
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,318
    Maybe only allow users to vote if they've formulated a response of their own?

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,288
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Maybe only allow users to vote if they've formulated a response of their own?
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  10. #10
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I wonder what we can do to have some healthy comment section on the frontpage. Some things have his own inertia, and the influence on everyone is very strong. And nasty.

    Memes:

    Forced of otherwise, the humour from them is stupid, meta and dry. I am personally to blame for a lot of memes mention, because I am stupid, meta and dry, but is not something I want to read. I consider a good post is not just repeating the last memes in the right positions. That would be /r/gamming, and the world don't need another place like that.

    Hivemind / Groupthink / Conducted biased thinking:

    If the article poster include a "danger word" like MOBA or MMORPG that seriously affect the tone of the following comments. At the moment MOBA is a swear word, so if the journalist mention it on the title of near the top of the article, all the post will be negative. Even if the journalist add the word to say "this is NOT a moba". I don't like this because after the third comment, all of them just repeat the same opinion. Also is a repeat from similar articles where the word has been mentioned. Sometimes I feel the journalist is playing with our weak minds. Why are we so easy to influence? I hope people become a tiny bit more resiliant to that, so they have unique and original opinions of his owns, not following the groupthink. Or what the journalist say.


    Constructive posting

    So theres a few things that we do wrong, and a lot of things we don't fail for. But our post are still not great. What could possible mean constructive posting here?. I already try DRY, so people don't have to read my stupid opinions more than once. Maybe try to avoid the above problems. Maybe some humour are ok? if you are a funny person.


    This may sound as bad science, but I think people fall for groupthinking, because they want to be part of something, and they want to be accepted. So the easiest way to "fit in" is to parrot what the group seems to think. We are group animals (like wolves) so is how we are designed and build... theres very little we can do to stop it, except know that it exist, that exist for biological reasons, but that we are also animals capable of rational thinking, so we can opt-out of that, have our own opinions different than the ones of the group, and still be accepted.

    Maybe to make that easier, accept if respect different opinions from whiting our community.
    u mad bro?

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,979
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Even in the PC gaming deals (essential for sale surfing) which has a strict only downvote inactive deals people relentlessly downvote games they don't like.
    Fortunally, its not everywhere. On Slashdot theres a culture of voting not if you agree, if insightful, funny, etc.. This works better. So theres reasons to be optimist, and I think that optimism is important.

    I would not like a simple voting system. Specially if it looked anything like Facebook "Likes", because people will fall quickly to old bad voting habits.

    Quote Originally Posted by lordcooper View Post
    u mad bro?
    The only post that make me angry are my own

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,642
    The culture of an internet population is very malleable. and ironically I wouldn't expect change, but if you want to post in a certain way that is fine too. Malleable in the sense that the population probably has constant turnover of users, many of whom might not be invested in the site or PC gaming or anything else either.

    I think a forum gives more sense of continuity (post count, avatars, etc) and the impression of direct interaction with other members. IMO that's a major difference maker between the comments on articles and the forums here.

    And yea some forums have the articles comment sections integrated into the forums themselves, which might be a good option for RPS. But it doesn't really matter to me, the forums exist anyway.

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,627
    RPS gaming groups further solidify the community, X is the guy who back stabbed my empire and made me a vassal, Y is the one I had a protracted high score conflict with over one level on the friends list, and Z is always trying get people to play baldurs gate coop.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  14. #14
    Is 'MOBA' perceived as such a terrible term? I hadn't noticed.

    I suppose there are a lot of generic and dull looking ones being pumped out these days. I don't read the comments much but I'm surprised if it's up there with EA, Call of Duty, threateningly virile females, console ports and early access.

  15. #15
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    They could do something like Escapist or Ars Technica and have a subforum where all the news get a single thread for discussion, that gets mirrored under the article proper. That would require much more moderation than it currently exists, not to mention tech expertise and would completely destroy the delusions of grandeur we old-timers have around here.
    Would creating an RPS bot that posts a thread for every article in a special subforum require so much tech expertise?

    It would certainly diminish the participation a bit if you have to click through to another page than the article to comment, but it seems to work for the Escapist. Plus, we wouldn't need to deal with all that godawful spam on the main site's comments sections.

  16. #16
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NEuro Troika Franchulate #3
    Posts
    3,288
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Would creating an RPS bot that posts a thread for every article in a special subforum require so much tech expertise?

    It would certainly diminish the participation a bit if you have to click through to another page than the article to comment, but it seems to work for the Escapist. Plus, we wouldn't need to deal with all that godawful spam on the main site's comments sections.
    The comments could be integrated in the blog post, if you are writing a bot already, doing in backwards seems pretty easy. As for the spam, I think it would be transferred to the forum, not just disappear as if by magic. You would get a proper forum for discussing things, though, with all the perks it entails.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

  17. #17
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    977
    Didn't RPS used to have forum threads for every post? Or did I imagine that.

    The problem is that it's very hard to avoid being snarky on the internet. I try, but I usually fail.

    My (complex) suggestion would be to be able to tag posts with certain "badges". Eg: "Useful info", "Correction", "Off topic", "Snark", "Funny" etc..
    Then each user could set their own preferences for what is expanded / collapsed.
    I tend to read the comments as they often contain useful information (corrections, additional info, mods/patches, deals, etc..). Sometimes i'm in the mood for one of the political arguments, sometimes I'd like to skip them.

    PS/ I clearly remember that, many years ago, after my first post on an RPS article, the response was:
    "This is why we can't have nice things" - Tei.
    [Meme, Snark, Not constructive]

    ;-)

  18. #18
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,284
    I think all of this is a bad idea, frankly I dont fancy those filtering systems.

    I used to browse slashdot on -1 level, mostly because the voting for posts changes throughout the day, and mostly because some insightful posts are plainly wrong.

    Note that I've been reading slashdot since 2007 and never registered(WE DO EXIST!).
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

    Bread?

  19. #19
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,577
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Didn't RPS used to have forum threads for every post? Or did I imagine that.

    The problem is that it's very hard to avoid being snarky on the internet. I try, but I usually fail.

    My (complex) suggestion would be to be able to tag posts with certain "badges". Eg: "Useful info", "Correction", "Off topic", "Snark", "Funny" etc..
    Then each user could set their own preferences for what is expanded / collapsed.
    I tend to read the comments as they often contain useful information (corrections, additional info, mods/patches, deals, etc..). Sometimes i'm in the mood for one of the political arguments, sometimes I'd like to skip them.

    PS/ I clearly remember that, many years ago, after my first post on an RPS article, the response was:
    "This is why we can't have nice things" - Tei.
    [Meme, Snark, Not constructive]

    ;-)
    you imagined it.

    Either way, as it stands, the comments are just the garbage bins of the internet, but if we would kill em, we would lose the actually funny pun threads, and those are golden.

    So if there would be some kind of pseudo comment system that was integrated with the forums in some way, that required registration and all of that, then that would make it better.
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  20. #20
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    3,128
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    you imagined it.
    I remember something of the like on the old talkotron. There was a subforum linked to the main site. It didn't last long

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •