Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I remember something of the like on the old talkotron. There was a subforum linked to the main site. It didn't last long
    before my time, then.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    Didn't RPS used to have forum threads for every post? Or did I imagine that.

The problem is that it's very hard to avoid being snarky on the internet. I try, but I usually fail.

My (complex) suggestion would be to be able to tag posts with certain "badges". Eg: "Useful info", "Correction", "Off topic", "Snark", "Funny" etc..
    Then each user could set their own preferences for what is expanded / collapsed.
    I tend to read the comments as they often contain useful information (corrections, additional info, mods/patches, deals, etc..). Sometimes i'm in the mood for one of the political arguments, sometimes I'd like to skip them.

PS/ I clearly remember that, many years ago, after my first post on an RPS article, the response was:
    "This is why we can't have nice things" - Tei.
    [Meme, Snark, Not constructive]

;-)
    I totally agree with this. It have many of the good "genes" of Slashdot, without also giving random people the tools to enforce a hivemind opinion.

That comment of mine is stupid. I sometimes post from the bus while a fat women is pushing me towards a window (and not in a good way) but I have no excuse.

About the up- and downvote thing, just a random thought: Why not split the comments thread in two columns. Left side shows the upvoted comments, right side the downvoted ones. That way even unfairly downvoted comments stay visible. Bam! Problem solved ;)
    (I'm sure there is a downside aside from more screen space is needed...)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't think that will work.

And many people think that anything "meta" must be on background, and not in foreground. So not to have the meta discussion be the center of the discussion.

Anyway thats my humble opinion.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I remember something of the like on the old talkotron. There was a subforum linked to the main site. It didn't last long
    I really liked that set-up. As it is now, once a story drops off the front page it becomes too much of a hassle to continue any discussions that may have been going on in the comments.