Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar

Sengoku ad, I do not like you.

"Remember that OTHER feudal japanese etc etc..."

I dunno why, but I find this ad to be silly. Not so much because it implies that Total War is merely "messing around" but because...well, yeah, I suppose a little bit of it is because I expect ads to be more than vague taunts about other games in a similar genre...

but aside from that, it's also because...what if I *don't* remember that other game? What if I am reader who knows nothing about it? Even now I'm not totally sure they're talking about Shogun, but I assume they are.

Basically it's an ad aimed at people who
    1) Are pretty familiar with Shogun, and
    2) Don't like it

Slightly tacky and rather strange, I find.

This isn't really RPS-related, but I did not know where to put ads-related grumbling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Are you saying RPS is being bribed to host that ad?

I had to ask. Inquisitive minds want to know.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

You have to complain over at Paradox.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    I wonder if Quinns wrote that ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    That depends on what I hope to achieve by complaining. If I wanted to get the ad changed, that would be sound advice. But if I want jokes about bribery and other entertaining asides, this is the place to be.

Its a bit childish ad, especially as they are quite different games really.
    Also it's slightly arrogant given that Shogun has some history, whilst I can't shake the suspicion Paradox just thought "hey I reckon we can get a version of the CK2 code ready in time to cash in on Shoguns coattails"

"its a bit childish"

Yes, I think that's the other thing about it...sort of a genre-inconsistency. That kind of ad might work (and does work) for, say, a Serious Sam game or something comparing itself to CoD. Or the whole thing with Space Marine making fun of cover shooters.

But if you are presenting an ad for a deep, thoughtful, "no messing around" kind of strategy game, full of character and intrigue and honour...and then your marketing campaign amounts to, essentially, "Nya, nya" -- it's either a very very sneaky purposeful dissonance, or else a misjudgment.

I could get behind this sort of thing.

Remember those other manshoots wot featured New York under attack?
    Remember that ARPG wot looked good until it crushed your childhood dreams beneath its corporate wheels?
    Remember that other quirky indie platformer?

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    but aside from that, it's also because...what if I *don't* remember that other game? What if I am reader who knows nothing about it?
    I suspect it is statistically impossible to be visiting a site where the ad is being shown and to not be aware of Shogun II: Total War.

But if you are presenting an ad for a deep, thoughtful, "no messing around" kind of strategy game, full of character and intrigue and honour...and then your marketing campaign amounts to, essentially, "Nya, nya" -- it's either a very very sneaky purposeful dissonance, or else a misjudgment.
    So the problem is that the ad insufficiently embraces the tenets of Bushido? That it is too Ninja and not enough Samurai? Very well, I expect the Paradox clan will commit seppuku forthwith!
    Last edited by Rii; 23-09-2011 at 07:09 PM.

"I suspect it is statistically impossible to be visiting a site where the ad is being shown and to not be aware of Shogun II: Total War."

I was dimly aware of it, but it took me at least a couple times seeing it before I was really sure what they were talking about. I thought they were talking about that japanese mount and blade thing that's upcoming.

I am not a clever man.

"So the problem is that the ad insufficiently embraces the tenets of Bushido?"

Precisely.

(I am assuming Bushido is foreign for "stop messing around").

Sun Tzu said: All advertising is based on deception.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiv View Post
    Sun Tzu said: All advertising is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu? Oh, that OTHER japanese strategy master. Mine's way better -- doesn't mess around.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Sun Tzu? Oh, that OTHER japanese strategy master. Mine's way better -- doesn't mess around.
    And by Japanese, you mean Chinese.

No, it's okay. 1.2 billion people will wait patiently until you get it right.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    No, it's okay. 1.2 billion people will wait patiently until you get it right.
    That is a LOT of Sun Tzu's.
    Sun Tzus.
    Sun Tzues.
    Suns Tzu?
    Sun Tzi?

These days I was playing Japan in Europa Universalis III. Where is your god now?
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.