Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Network Hub
    As soon as Youtube started to force me to give them my mobile number to log in, i stopped doing so (there is an option once you have agreed to all that spying-two-tier authentication stuff, to then not have to do it, but they got your details already).

So now i just watch youtube vids 'wild' (not signed in), so i think that messes up the revenue stream for the youtuber? Zemalf and SorcererDave are probably my favourite youtubers, most i end up finding very irritating after a while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZakG View Post
    As soon as Youtube started to force me to give them my mobile number to log in, i stopped doing so (there is an option once you have agreed to all that spying-two-tier authentication stuff, to then not have to do it, but they got your details already).

So now i just watch youtube vids 'wild' (not signed in), so i think that messes up the revenue stream for the youtuber? Zemalf and SorcererDave are probably my favourite youtubers, most i end up finding very irritating after a while.
    Pah, you young'uns have it good. I only use youtube-dl.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar

I think all that affects is their subscriber counts. They still get views and the like. So you are "messing up" their ranking and their ability to get a golden plaque, but that is about it.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by strange headache View Post

Errant Signal for example.
    :[

A kitten dies every time ES gets a view, think of the kittens.
    Last edited by Wenz; 15-07-2014 at 08:50 AM.
    post in progress

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    I actually just logged in to say how much I enjoyed Errant Signal since strange headache suggested him. Horses for courses of course. I find that I agree with his views a lot and I absolutely love his level headed analysis on the bunch of vids of his I listened to while working yesterday. Thanks headache. He has a great voice for radio, too and he seems terribly affable. So why the hate Wenz? (Just curious, as I said, horses for courses regarding taste)

I watched the half life vid and it got me headache.
    post in progress

Lol! Is it because he explained the female character as the plot enabler empty shell that she is? :D
    Talking about HL, not sure why but though I hold 1 as one of my most cherished gaming experiences, I found 2 very boring. Could be expectations and all. I played the demo of 1 and it stops right when the marines attack you (rather than help you) and the two weeks until I got the full game were torture. Also, I got my first 3d card half way through the game (voodoo something) and my god the difference between sw 3d rendering and hw 3d rendering.... it blew my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    Lol! Is it because he explained the female character as the plot enabler empty shell that she is? :D
    Talking about HL, not sure why but though I hold 1 as one of my most cherished gaming experiences, I found 2 very boring. Could be expectations and all. I played the demo of 1 and it stops right when the marines attack you (rather than help you) and the two weeks until I got the full game were torture. Also, I got my first 3d card half way through the game (voodoo something) and my god the difference between sw 3d rendering and hw 3d rendering.... it blew my mind!
    Having a team mate in your action shooter is great. It will make sense to the world of the game and will point the dumbest player to the right direction (no cutscenes, no text or whatever flashy stuff). From what I remember this guy thinks it's lame and makes up stuff about characters while hundreds of action games feature team mates since. Then complains about random stuff and hints to why his points won't hold a candle (lol).

HL is still one of the games with best storytelling in shooters, every other shooter will welcome you with press X to do stuff because they got the story before making the game. About hl2, if you listen to the dev commentary, they cared too much about what testers said and this resulted in boring action.

I watched it again for about 8 minutes and I'll hate you foverer dreamlord.>:[
    Last edited by Wenz; 15-07-2014 at 10:08 AM.
    post in progress

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Pah, you young'uns have it good. I only use youtube-dl.
    You could also try some of the in-browser extensions that allow you to download? I use those too sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I think all that affects is their subscriber counts. They still get views and the like. So you are "messing up" their ranking and their ability to get a golden plaque, but that is about it.
    I hope so, i was a bit worried that Youtube (well Google really) forcing me to not sign in would reduce my views as counting, i would prefer to support the better youtubers etc.

I'll try and tone down my subliminal messages from now on Wenz! ;)

Mhe you got me to play research&development again.
    post in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    I watched the half life vid and it got me headache.
    The older videos are better. There's one about Thief even.

You could also try some of the in-browser extensions that allow you to download? I use those too sometimes.
    Pah! If I can't use my green-on-dark Terminator so make a bash script in vim, it's not worth doing!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    There is also revenue sharing to promote titles.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/220950/YouTubers_Yogscast_taking_revenue_share_to_promote _Space_Engineers.php

The Yogscast, which has over 7 million subscribers on YouTube, will take "a small share" of the sales revenue for sandbox space game Space Engineers during July, in return offering a series of videos and Yogscast-branded items for the game.

As soon as Youtube started to force me to give them my mobile number to log in, i stopped doing so
    If you use Chrome, try HTTPSB: you can deny access to google's own cookies and it works the same. They're probably still tracking all kind of stuff with IPs and more ubersmart things than I can even begin to understand, but it's still nice to know you're making their life harder, ever so slightly.

Since I absolutely nothing to say meaningful or even slightly amusing except don't listen to PDP unless you care zilch about your ears and whatever part of your brain still hasn't boiled away - I'll simply add a platitude about some of the posts about TB's cancer being really misguided AND probability blind.

If you haven't ever had anybody in their 20s in your extended circle who had cancer (or some other equally life-changing event, for that matter) - without them ever making any particularly stupid(*) choice in their life - then you're simply in one of less frequented parts of the distribution curve.

(*) please keep in mind the mainstream's definition of stupid is most likely stupid for the most part. FUD FTW! So how's this post scoring on the crazy-ass meter? Unlocked "Totally unhinged" yet?
    Last edited by alms; 15-07-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    If you use Chrome, try HTTPSB
    Waiting patiently for the Firefox port... What an amazing work.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    In all fairness, the more reputable youtubers tend to be pretty open about that. TB will say if it is a sponsored video. Rooster Teeth/Achievement Hunter is a bit less obvious, but they are pretty noticeable (intentionally so), and it is looking like they may make "This Is" primarily that if they don't think it is worth recording real gameplay in. And Jesse Cox has an entire "Jesse Sells Out" series :p
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    In all fairness, the more reputable youtubers tend to be pretty open about that. TB will say if it is a sponsored video. Rooster Teeth/Achievement Hunter is a bit less obvious, but they are pretty noticeable (intentionally so), and it is looking like they may make "This Is" primarily that if they don't think it is worth recording real gameplay in. And Jesse Cox has an entire "Jesse Sells Out" series :p
    TB is following up to these stories by saying the disclosure will be at the start of his video and clear. Things like embedded videos or apps typically do not show the description.

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    TB is following up to these stories by saying the disclosure will be at the start of his video and clear. Things like embedded videos or apps typically do not show the description.
    In all honesty, I think a big factor is also what the youtuber is known for.

TB is known for reviews (even though they aren't), and his endorsement is worth a lot. So I definitely feel that he should say it in the video

Jesse Cox and Achievement Hunter are more known for actual entertainment videos, so I don't mind as much. I like that Jesse Cox says it and I do wish AH would too, but at the same time RT/AH has a policy to not badmouth stuff unless it is REALLY REALLY shit, so it also doesn't bother me as much if they are getting paid to make a video: If they feel it is good enough for entertainment and they weren't going to critique it heavily either way, it isn't a huge deal to me. But, like I said, I prefer full disclosure whenever possible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I would say Paid for Youtube videos are a bit different. With print you only had the word of the reviewer and some screenshots so a paid off review is worse then youtube. I say that because with youtube you get to actually see the game for a longer time. If the youtuber says its the best game ever you have the game to look at to see whether you think that is the case or not.