Steam melting my CPU

Since the latest update, Steam seems inclined to use an entire core out of the two my system has available.

Anyone else seeing this?

Activated Node
    No. Is it always like that? Might need a reinstall.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Is this when playing games or just with Steam running in the background?

Steam was doing precisely that with my machine (a somewhat elderly 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo) from about June this year until recently and I was tearing my hair out. I never quite got to the bottom of it, but it seemed that it might be related to a Team Fortress 2 file corruption. Might.

I fixed it by completely removing Steam (and - importantly - all the game application data too, I'm afraid) and then re-installing steam and any games you need. It's a hefty task to re-download all your games, I know, but it worked for me. Oh - one other thing: as a precaution I would suggest naming your new install directory something like 'Steam 2' to make sure that there's no registry legacy stuff likely to screw it up. That's what I was told by someone who knows, anyhow. Not an expert myself. Any good?

Activated Node
    Just copy steamapps folder somewhere else and then reinstall Steam. After that, copy it back to its place. Note: You need to restart any game trough Steam itself if you reinstalled Steam somewhere else other then the old installation location.

Re. Draakon: I did the same (and variations) and it still didn't work. It was only when I deleted everything that it worked properly.

Activated Node
    Strange, mine did. Did you try launching the game once when you copied back (both trough steam and from the gamefolder)?

Fiddling about with this gives pretty similar results to The Tupper's.. Moving all the steamapps files to a safe place and reinstalling Steam led to a reasonable amount of cpu load. Moving the files back in place returned it to overload. I guess something in there has become wedged..

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I had this yesterday, but simply closing steam and reopening it cured the problem for the rest of the day. It's not misbehaving (so far) today, either, so maybe just a "first run" thing?

The misbehaviour persisted between restarts of Steam for me.

I seem to have resolved it by deleting all the *cf files under steamapps. When I go to redownload stuff, it picks up the files that are already on disk.

I was having a similar problem to Harlander, and I seem to have resolved it by just removing the files pertaining to source engine games (including might and magic, alien swarm, portal, etc). I was able to leave other files and folders, including g(/n)cfs for other games just fine.

Didn't even have to reinstall the thing. I suspect it got caught in a cycle of trying to update something, somehow.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

I also had the high CPU load issue today. I had to restart steam three times until it stopped.
    A few times since the update I also had an error message saying something like: you have never started steam from that machine etc.

Glad you got it sorted. I spent a couple of months changing processor affinities and setting priorities every time I wanted to play Batman AA before biting the bullet and deleting everything. It's made me realise how little I play so many of the games I have on steam: I've only re-downloaded three in the last three weeks.

Network Hub
    I'm having a problem starting Human Revolution after the update, with it sticking at 'installing... 2%'. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze-X View Post
    I'm having a problem starting Human Revolution after the update, with it sticking at 'installing... 2%'. :(
    Have you tried verifying the game cache (right click-> properties-> local files)?

Network Hub
    This is a problem with the latest Steam client. There's a fix for it in the current beta.

Obscure Node
    I was having that problem too. Looks like the beta went live today, and after updating and restarting it's barely using any CPU.

Activated Node
    You could also next time If you indeed want to have steam open (like I did recently, was downloading DSF from steam) do like me. My CPU useage was also high due to me downloading a game and since I have a very fast Internet connection, it ate a lot of CPU. I then decided to put priority on very low for steam. And VOILA! Steam was only using 99% of my CPU when the whole computer was on idle. Else, the usage dropped down as other, higher priority applications needed to use the CPU.