Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obscure Node

20 games that will make or break 2014

Is there anything better than cranking up the settings and sitting down to play an amazing PC game? 2013 was a great year for PC gamers, but 2014 looks to be even better. Games like Watch Dogs, The Division, and The Witcher 3 are looking amazing so far. Which are the 20 games you should get excited about. What games are you looking forward to in 2014?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I don't think there are 20 games I'm excited about. I don't think there are even 10.

Also The Division and Witcher 3 aren't going to be out until 2015.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I don't think I'm exited about any game coming out this year.
    I might be interested in a few of them like gods will be watching, alien isolation, Civ Beyond Earth and the new Lara Croft and the blahblahblah game, but nothing more.
    Is there anything else of interest coming up in the next months?

Edit: Just updating some more interesting games for future reference:
    Elite Dangerous, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Evolve, Dreamfall Chapters
    Last edited by Tikey; 16-07-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to Civ Beyond Earth because my coop group likes to play those types of games together. Other than that... there's nothing this year that is very exciting.

And didn't Watch Dogs take a big hit critically? Wolfenstein might be a really good release this year, but I haven't ponied up the cash to buy it.

There's Hotline Miami 2 supposedly, if you're into that. Basically lots of 2's and 3's are still coming out this year, so if you've been following those series, that's a thing. Dead Rising 3, Risen 3, Sacred 3... etc.

So yeah, nothing coming of any particular interest outside of Civ for me. Hyper Light Drifter maybe? Forgot about that one...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    That Tom Clancy one where you can blow up walls sounds delicious. Siege?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Elite: Dangerous

No other game will come close to the importance of that game delivering on it's promise. Ever since I was a 3yr old watching the Star Wars films for the firms time I've wanted to know what it's like to actually be a starship pilot. The original Elite is probably the closest I've been to achieving that feeling and nothing (including Wing Commander, Freelancer, X or EVE) has really scratched that itch since. Everything I've seen about E:D so far makes it look like THAT game I've been waiting for, and especially when combined with Oculus Rift. Still slated for Q4 2014.

Wasteland 2 is probably the next on the list, but it's a looong gap between #1 and #2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    All of the really important games for me are coming out at the end of this year. A whole ton of kickstarted games are coming out this fall and winter.

The most important by far for me is Project Eternity. But there's also Wasteland 2, Serpent in the Staglands, and Sunless Sea. Who knows when Broken Age Part II is coming? Underrail and Dead State may be coming, I'm not sure about their dev cycle.

Also, I know the OP is an advertiser or whatever, but it's kinda weird saying that Watchdogs looks amazing so far when it already released to shitty reviews.
    Last edited by Internet; 16-07-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Pillars of Eternity should be coming out in late 2014, right?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyturnedred View Post
    Pillars of Eternity should be coming out in late 2014, right?
    Yep, they've been emphatic that it's coming out later this year.

Network Hub
    I think so far Wolfenstein has been the only 'make' game for me so far, Transistor and Watch_Dogs didn't fall into the 'break' category but they didn't live up to expectations.

However, I am sitting in anticipation for Dreamfall Chapters, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Evolve and Costume Quest 2 and Divinity: Original Sin. Less likely but still possible games to 'make' the year would be Unity, Far Cry 4, The Crew, Inquisition, Borderlands (both Tales and Pre-Sequel), GTAV and Game of Thrones. Here I was thinking that this year would be boring, it just turns out that there is interesting stuff but the games next year are far more appealing.
    Last edited by Firewhisper; 16-07-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Civ: Beyond earth is probably the only game I'm going to buy new till the end of the year. I also kickstarted Dreamfall chapter and the first book is supposed to be out in October, and the second might follow before 2014 ends.

I'm also interested in Wasteland 2, but will probably get that at a sale. After Divinity: Original sin I don't think I''ll want to play another isometric RPG for awhile (Shadowrun: Dragonfall might be an exception though).

Edit: Someone mentioned Inquisition and reminded me that it's also on my wishlist, but I think I'll wait for reviews and players feed-backs before going into that.
    Last edited by Avish; 16-07-2014 at 03:00 PM.

The Witness, Dirty Bomb, TowerClimb.

Stronghold Crusader 2 is due in September, but it seems they have yet to make a good 3D Stronghold game.

They won't rock your 2014 and half year is gone but I'm keeping an eye on Hotline Miami 2, SUPERHOT, Satellite Reign, HyperLight Drifter, Reflex, Radio The Universe, Project Free Fall, Overgrowth (which seems to need one more year and beyond), Tangiers, Due Process, Everyone Has Gone To The Rapture now not on pc anymore (who did this to me?), The Hum?, Alien Isolation?, How To Be A Tree, Tormentum, Sunless Sea, Routine, Solarix, Rainworld and idk.

Oh yes, The Witness.
    Last edited by Wenz; 16-07-2014 at 05:20 PM.
    post in progress

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    For me it's mostly Pillars, Wasteland and Project CARS, I suppose.

Is project Cars coming out this year?

Civ: Beyond Earth and Dragon Age: Inquisition are the only new releases that particularly interests me this year. There were others but they've all been delayed until next year. *edit* I thought Pillars of Eternity was one that was delayed. That's one I'm looking forward to.This has been a pretty slow year for PC games to be honest.

When is the PC port of GTA V due to come out?
    Last edited by PeteC; 16-07-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Network Hub
    A leak from a European retailer this week suggested a November 14th date for GTAV, which would be a Friday as traditional Euro releases, and it was quickly changed as if they weren't supposed to show it yet! Hmm...

Definitely a good idea to wait and see with Inquisition, for every good moment I remember from the original I also remember three bad moments from the second one. Those recent video walkthroughs have been somewhat reassuring though, and I'm planning to pick up the latest novel at some point, that might add to my hype if it's good.

I forgot one from earlier, New N Tasty, I might finally get around to beating Abe's Odyssey this time!

Yeah, only just finished Dragon Age 2 the other day. Not quite as catastrophically bad as the internet would have it but really not very good either. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic from what I've seen of Inquisition.

Also just remembered another; Defense Grid 2! I know tower defence isn't everyone's cup of tea but I bloody loved the first one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Is project Cars coming out this year?
    http://www.projectcarsgame.com/

Says November 2014.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    DayZ Standalone full release with vehicles? Oh who am I kidding probably not until 2020 if ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.