Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar

Clockwork Empires Early Access

I don't usually do blatant advertising like this, but well. Clockwork Empires, newest vaguely-steampunk-colonial-builder-with-sprinkles-from-dwarf-fortress-like from Gaslamp Games, the guys who made Dungeons of Dredmor and who have a hugely entertaining developer blog, is entering what they call Early-Early Access.

http://clockworkempires.com/

Basically you can buy EA now, one month before the Steam EA begins, and the money goes all to the devs. Sounds sweet!

Read their blog! Especially the tags.
    Last edited by Faldrath; 16-07-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I dunno if I wanna by EA, their press conference at E3 this year was rubbish.

In all seriousness though this is a game I'm interested in but I don't like buying into early access games.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I don't mind Early Access games at all, not for replayable games like KSP or Prison Architect. Been looking forward to Clockwork Empires but $29.99 is quite a high price for the early access/game.

I'll wait for some reviews to come in.

Obscure Node
    I was interested in this but didnt get a straight answer on when EA was available and now I've spent all the spare cash I had left. Great :(

Network Hub
    I'm sorry, did you say $30?

Are they mad? 30 American pounds for a very very early Alpha game? I clicked the link thinking it'd be $10-15 at the most.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Interested, but yeah 30$ seems a bit steep; I think I'll wait for impressions/opinions/the like.
    Loved Dredmor, and I love the idea behind Clockwork Empires, but I feel like there are a bazillion ways the game could go wrong.

Edit: holy crap, i5 minimum?! Either this game runs simulations of what each citizen is having for breakfast, down to the molecular makeup of each cereal flake, or something's very wrong here.

I was prepared to buy it as soon an possible, but after seeing the price tag and their unwillingness to clarify if the price will go up or down has left me a little cold.

I'm very interested in the game, and I'm able to tolerate loads of bugs if they are hilarious bugs, but for 30$ I prefer to have some knowledge about what I'm buying. I got a little bit stung with DF9 for rushing in.

Please, someone buy the game and tell me Saturday morning that its a wonderful and deserves 30$.

*https://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/07...rliest-access/ 10:52 comment

The skull yacht needs more money.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Edit: holy crap, i5 minimum?! Either this game runs simulations of what each citizen is having for breakfast, down to the molecular makeup of each cereal flake, or something's very wrong here.
    I believe they have been quite open about CE having high system requirements due to the vast number of variables interacting with one another. They'll also not have streamlined the code yet if it's still EEA.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Whoa, I hope that's just them playing it real safe.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Hasn't this been in development for a couple of years?

I'd like to know a bit more about the gameplay before I plunk down money, plus I'm trying really hard to play the games I already haven't gotten around to. I have a stack of game DVDs that I haven't looked at and my next gaming PC probably won't even have a DVD/BD drive.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    How's a quad core Phenom II compare to that i5?

Do these guys have a publisher? I'd feel okay donating if they needed a backer, but if they have a publisher then that should be doing the financial support.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    Hasn't this been in development for a couple of years?

I'd like to know a bit more about the gameplay before I plunk down money, plus I'm trying really hard to play the games I already haven't gotten around to. I have a stack of game DVDs that I haven't looked at and my next gaming PC probably won't even have a DVD/BD drive.
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...hulhu/#!bg9eTT

Quote Originally Posted by theclockworkrat View Post
    Do these guys have a publisher? I'd feel okay donating if they needed a backer, but if they have a publisher then that should be doing the financial support.
    They're indie.

While these guys have proven they can get a game out before with DoD, I think anyone thinking about backing this should look at the Yogventure kickstarter as a stark warning that you could be pissing your money away
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I'm not sure why you would compare this to the Yogscast thing. They already put out a fully functional game and that's more than Winterkewl could ever did. Gaslamp Games also run very informative dev blog and you get a good idea what you sign up for.
    New! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Not exactly new! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Kind of old! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

You'll notice I mentioned already that they've put out a game before and proven they can do such a thing. But that doesn't mean they won't fuck up this time or that something won't happen to stop the game from coming out two years down the road after you've paid for it.

Hell look at Broken Age. How over due is that? From a full studio of people who've put out several games, made a tonne of money on kickstarter, held a humble bundle to raise even more money and then launched the unfinished game on early access because they ran out of money for it.

Or Towns.

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Just a look at their blog and how they are organized and you can see these guys aren't behaving like Towns and are more serious about making their game than even the Broken Age developers. I don't know anything about Yogscast.

I've been waiting a couple years for this game, so I'm jumping the gun. I hope my processor can handle it.

It actually releases at noon PST today.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Just a look at their blog and how they are organized and you can see these guys aren't behaving like Towns and are more serious about making their game than even the Broken Age developers. I don't know anything about Yogscast.

I've been waiting a couple years for this game, so I'm jumping the gun. I hope my processor can handle it.

It actually releases at noon PST today.
    Do let us know how it plays. I haven't bought it yet (waiting for next month), but I'm very curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Yeah, comparing this to Towns is wildly unfair.

I gave some thought to your CPU question: when the first i5 came out it was basically as fast or faster than any Phenom II, especially if overclocked. With AMD struggling Intel obviously didn't have much motivation to do drastic improvements, but it improved nonetheless.

This could boil down to a big, fat "it depends": for one, on what i5 model they have in mind. But they simply wrote "minimum req: i5", not even recommended (that I assume was Rauten's thought: so the recommended spec is what..? an i7?)

I suppose that might be a way of saying "hey! this game is far more demanding than you'd expect from a title in this genre" and it might run smoothly enough on a Phenom II.

So, uhm ...let us know?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"