Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Folks, I'm not comparing this to Towns. I'm not comparing it to Yogsventures etc. I'm pointing out that this is an unfinished project. Yes it's from a team that appear to be hard working and who have put out a game (one game with several bits of dlc) but it's still an unfinished project and nobody knows what will happen between now and release.

I honestly hope this game gets made, because it looks like a neat idea and something I would like to play. But €30 for a "promise" isn't worth the risk anymore in my view.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Would an AMD FX-8320 be comparable to an i5?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Now the worst part of modern gaming: the download. It's around a gig, though, so not too bad. Still takes me an hour to get, though.

I get Jesus' point, and I agree. I'm pretty adamant about preorders and early access, but this is one of those indulgent moments with a game I've been eagerly anticipating. (best recipe for disaster, honestly)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Reminds of Prison Architect really. That was available pretty early on.

It's running just fine so far. A small population starting out...

I played for about twenty minutes or so. My CPU is pretty ancient, so ancient in fact that I don't even know how powerful it is so if you fear it wouldn't run on your PC because of the lofty requirements then I can say it doesn't seem to matter much. Naturally, it could become more demanding once your settlement grows but I didn't experience any performance problems.

Has anyone figured out how to change existing buildings? I kind of started building a lower class house only to wall in my poor workers! Now there doesn't seem to be a way to add doors. I guess they got that part of 19th century culture right. For the love of God, Montresor!

Yes, for the love of God!
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Not sure how you got it built without doors! It shouldn't let you finish the design until you add a door.

Network Hub
    I'm not comparing it to Yogsventures etc
    O Rly?
    I think anyone thinking about backing this should look at the Yogventure kickstarter as a stark warning that you could be pissing your money away
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    But €30 for a "promise" isn't worth the risk anymore in my view.
    This isn't a kickstarter or indiegogo or any other crowdfunding campaign.

It's not 30 euro and/or dollars for a "promise." It's for a playable (albeit extremely early, buggy, and un-optimized) version of the game. You're acting like people who buy into this are throwing their money away when in fact they are immediately getting an actual good and/or service in exchange for their money.

How many games that have reached the point where they're on Early Access get cancelled due to lack of funds?

I imagine that they're setting the hardware requirements fairly high for now so that they can focus on getting it working reliably on good systems, rather than having to troubleshoot for unhappy customers with less good / marginal systems at the moment. Note that they're hoping to support some Intel graphics, but they're not promising that yet.

Haven't bought it yet, but I'm planning to buy it while it's still at teething stage (although I do have the dreaded Intel graphics). The dev blog gives me confidence that they will one day have a finished product, even if they can't do absolutely everything they would like to do. This is a lot more complicated than Dredmor, and I'm not sure they knew what they were getting into, but they take it very seriously (while still being funny).
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post

How many games that have reached the point where they're on Early Access get cancelled due to lack of funds?
    I don't know, but I'm fairly sure there are currently more games in Early Access than there are 'games that were in Early Access at some point and since launched'

I think they might update with the save function later today

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm not aware of any notable developers (that is, people who've previously produced games) failing to release an Early Access game or looking likely to fail to release. Similarly for non-notable developers who none the less have made some waves with their Early Access game. But it is early days for Early Access still.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Network Hub
    Towns cancelled development, but that is all I know of.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    O Rly?

This isn't a kickstarter or indiegogo or any other crowdfunding campaign.

It's not 30 euro and/or dollars for a "promise." It's for a playable (albeit extremely early, buggy, and un-optimized) version of the game. You're acting like people who buy into this are throwing their money away when in fact they are immediately getting an actual good and/or service in exchange for their money.

My god. I apologise for pointing out that this game is unfinished and we've already experienced people being screwed over by early access or kickstarters.

I withdraw my statements of your precious alpha of a game (which I've shown interest in), in which I didn't tell people not to back it but rather to be cautious as we're starting to see people get burned by it.

*EDIT*

Also, this actually is a crowd funding campaign. The only difference is that you and Steam are treating this like a finished product. All money goes directly to Valve and the developers without them having to reach a target amount and without them having to deliver a finished product. This is absolutely a form of crowd funding.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 21-07-2014 at 04:42 PM.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

So they pushed the hotfix to tomorrow. There is not really anymore mention about saving the game, so that might not be a part of this update.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wengart View Post
    Towns cancelled development, but that is all I know of.
    Towns wasn't officially Early Access (EA didn't exist at the time) so it might plausibly be placed in the (large) set of "games that were released before they were properly finished". The release of Towns was quite weird even in this set, since the official line was roughly "it's finished but it isn't".
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I don't know, but I'm fairly sure there are currently more games in Early Access than there are 'games that were in Early Access at some point and since launched'
    There are a few places around the net which track games 'removed' from Steam and it's a fairly small list.

I believe only 1 game has ever been 'completely removed' from Steam (as in - removed even if you owned it removed) and that was Order of War (which stopped-working when Squeenix killed the servers - yes, even the single-player bit!!)

Even when you count games which are still 'on Steam' but you cannot buy them anymore - it's a relatively short list. Most of them are regional oddities or games where IP licences have expired or where the owner/developer has disappeared entirely (and I guess some contract fell due?)

The issue with Early Access will never be 'disappearing games' - it will just be 'games which didn't live up to the buyers expectations' - and, frankly, that happens as much - if not MORE - with proper 'releases' ;0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post

The issue with Early Access will never be 'disappearing games' - it will just be 'games which didn't live up to the buyers expectations' - and, frankly, that happens as much - if not MORE - with proper 'releases' ;0
    I don't think they'll disappear. They'll just never leave early access. Of course, 'finished' is more an arbitrary point for many games anyway.

My point was that it's such early days for Steam early access that the number of games that have 'graduated' is tiny. And dwarfed by the number of games currently still in early access. So we can't really get any accurate measure of it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    How's a quad core Phenom II compare to that i5?
    Less powerful (I'm running the same, a Phenom II 965, still at stock speed), but not so much that it should really hurt. They've said in their devlogs that they're setting the requirements very high for this early-early access because the builds are still not well optimized for speed, and so they're posing hardware requirements that they're sure will run it comfortably.

So does anyone have any more impressions after a month?