Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

QuakeCon 2014 thread of no Carmack and no Doom for you!

A Step Up 3D actor will design a game on stage though. I am not making this up.

QuakeCon starts tomorrow.
    Thereís a panel about the future of TES Online (lol).
    Atendees can also play that shitty Battlecry game.
    The Quake Live tournament will be livestreamed on Twitch. Itís like Formula 1 with guns.

John Carmack wonít be there. Tim Willits will reveal Doom 4 sometime between 6 and 7 PM Texas time. If you're not there, you only get to see the game sometime next year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Thereís a panel about the future of TES Online (lol).
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Tim Willits will reveal Doom 4 sometime between 6 and 7 PM Texas time. If you're not there, you only get to see the game sometime next year.

So basically someone will leak the gameplay,right ? Its only logical answer to this nonsence.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    RPS proper has a nice sum up of the trailer.

Just hoping it's a good game. Loved all the DOOM games... hope this is good.

I'm thinking it'll kind of be like Wolfenstein, but I hope it has more going for it than just that. Seems like MP will be a big deal again though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The demo quickly turned into a slaughter with demons getting shot up and then torn to shreds. Skulls were crushed, jaws were ripped in half, heads stomped from above, arms completely torn off, necks snapped, bodies kicked over railings, and in one memorable case, a heart ripped out of a giant demon's chest and punched down its own throat, where it then exploded.

Sounds like you're juiced up on berserk packs the entire time or maybe it hints at an eventual combo system which gets you even more juiced up based on kills.

x x x x x xx x a a a a a a b b b b b b b b b b iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii *stuff explodes*
    post in progress

Needless to say, the chainsaw was not a clean way to go out for the demons meeting the business end of the weapon. Bodies were sliced in two every which way, giving all watching plenty of time to study the anatomy of demons. One demon even cowered in fear, holding his arms up over his head to try and block the attack, but his efforts proved fruitless. The chainsaw cut through his arms and then through his skull and body.

I predict that the ending will be the Doomguy sitting at a table in a silent room contemplating how much a monster he has become, he looks mournfully towards a photograph of his family which he brushes lightly with two fingers, the camera lingering on the single tear that he sheds before he puts a pistol into his mouth and pulls the trigger. Then we get a wicked sick slow-motion rotation of his skull splitting open and brain matter flying freely before it splatters against the wall.

Sounds cool, they can reuse BJ's model from Wolfenstein.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Its really depressing to think the designers(and probably the audience) thinks that is what Doom was.

They're going after the teenage gamer market. I wanted gore levels this high in games when I was sixteen because I thought it was awesome. I was the kind of kid that drew guns in the margins of his text books and blood leaking from the binder holes so I can see why they'd want to ratchet up the violence.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Doom for me whas the first real 3D game and a very fun one, because sliding everywhere with the shotgun was soo much fun. I would like a new doom that have a good shotgun and probably a rocketlauncher that gibs enemies. If the rocket launcher don't make normal enemies explode it will not be doom.

It also needs barrels full of acid, and some very good background music.
    Abandoned PC gaming for good. Now rest in a better place. psn:Teikman

Yea I'm not the biggest fan of the ultra gore route... even the melee, I'm not sure what the deal is there. DOOM was gory as heck for sure when it came out, but I think the gameplay and level design and weapons were the real stars of the show. And the enemy design too.

The fast-paced aspect and multiplayer part I like though at least.

If you read previews you should know that there is also fast paced gameplay and slick enemy designs ;)

They're obviously drawing inspiration from the Doom comic:

Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

I was thinking about that and Brutal DOOM, but it just seems an odd thing to take inspiration from rather than the actually successful DOOM 1, 2, and 3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hyperviolence,..

Why not? It can be a artistic choice. Also a way to be less realistic. You have all these dark rooms in Doom3, now these rooms will be less dark and black, and more bright and red.
    Abandoned PC gaming for good. Now rest in a better place. psn:Teikman

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Its really what artists that don't know anything, take the surface of something they knew i.e thinking that Doom was about demons and gore and shooting things to make gore. And not knowing what the depth of those same things were.

Well yea it might be a great and crazy fun game for all we know. I was imagining more of a blend between DOOM 1/2 and 3. Was kind of hoping it would have the same lighting effects style as DOOM 3 actually.

I'm still open to this game, I want it to be awesome... hopefully MP helps there as well. And DOOM 1/2 were much brighter than DOOM 3 so if that's a change it's not too crazy either. It sounds like it will be a long time before we see it which I don't like at all though.

I wonder though... is this something to have more or less reservation about right now? It didn't seem to excite RPS proper so much and it doesn't seem like QuakeCon attendees are going super nuts about it right now... or maybe I'm just not reading the right stuff right now.