Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar

Preparing for new laptop

Hullo people.
    My dad's laptop is dead, and guess what - since he doesn't need a powerful computer I'll just get the new one and give him my current PC.
    So, while waiting for it to arrive, what should I do to prepare my laptop for the shift? I was thinking that perhaps formatting isn't the most sensible thing to do, since it's working well and that would mean having to reinstall all the windows updates and things like that. Do you think that uninstalling all the programs will give it a boost?
    On the other hand, beside the usual personal documents and music collection, what data should I transfer to the new PC and how? Perhaps I'll just transfer a partial backup of my steam library, but I have never tried that.
    Thank you in advance for the attention!

PS: laptop is an HP Pavilion, AMD A8-4555m, the usual 4gb RAM, 8670M. Seems fine to me for gaming at 1366x768, don't care about ultra details.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    A format and re-install isn't so bad, takes only like 30 min, plus then he gets a fresh computer :)

Other than that... if it's mainly a everyday use computer... transferring personal files is all that really needs to be done I guess. All the online Google and FB and whatever profiles you have will just carry over.

Steam backing up takes a while depending on how much you want to back up. If you have a lot of bandwidth available this month, or unlimited bandwidth, you could always just leave the downloads of games you want on overnight. Or you could select all the game backups you want overnight and then transfer the next morning.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman29 View Post
    A format and re-install isn't so bad, takes only like 30 min, plus then he gets a fresh computer :)

Other than that... if it's mainly a everyday use computer... transferring personal files is all that really needs to be done I guess. All the online Google and FB and whatever profiles you have will just carry over.

Steam backing up takes a while depending on how much you want to back up. If you have a lot of bandwidth available this month, or unlimited bandwidth, you could always just leave the downloads of games you want on overnight. Or you could select all the game backups you want overnight and then transfer the next morning.
    Yeah, reinstalling is the sensible option.
    <LinuxDrumBanging>
    Or you can try Linux Mint if he only uses the browser.
    </LinuxDrumBanging>
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

I know the reinstall is fairly quick but... *drumroll* I don't have a windows 7 DVD, because they don't give them out anymore with PCs.

And I'd be totally up to linux but he's not very tech-friendly so that's not the case. Plus he needs MS Publisher for invoices.

Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    I know the reinstall is fairly quick but... *drumroll* I don't have a windows 7 DVD, because they don't give them out anymore with PCs.

And I'd be totally up to linux but he's not very tech-friendly so that's not the case. Plus he needs MS Publisher for invoices.
    Here:
    Code:
    -SP1,Win7 Ultimate x64
    http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso
    -SP1,Win7 Ultimate x86
    http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59463.iso
    And also:
    http://images2.store.microsoft.com/p...B-DVD-tool.exe

EDIT: Forgot to say this are the bona-fide official installation images.

Another thing, if the PC came without SP1, you must install this:
    Code:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 32Bit: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58996.iso
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso
    and then millions of updates or the CD Key won't be valid.

Or if you don't want to call an indian call center and dictate them your key in NATO's phonetic alphabet, and the problem remains (happened to me), you use the Ultimate SP1 link and crack it with DAZ Loader.
    Last edited by somini; 21-07-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

I'd be very confident that it has both:

1. A recovery partition, from which you can reinstall windows etc to the primary partition
    2. A utility for burning a recovery DVD (or 3), from which you can reinstall windows etc

Thanks for all the solutions! In any case: my pc has a recovery partition and the recovery DVD utility, but dad doesn't want me to format it so I'll just uninstall everything. ^^

Network Hub
    Of all the PCs I have to.... support ..., I hear the least from Linux machines. Once (if) you get them running, it's all smooth sailing from then on.

Try sticking Ubuntu or one of the big Linux distributions on the machine. They are probably easier to use than Windows. I use Windows because I have to and had to use Mac OS because I had to, but found Ubuntu (without Unity to be fair) the easiest to use and it was fast, reliable and seems to run well on any hardware.

Look, I know, I use Ubuntu myself sometimes but I'm sure dad would just struggle with Linux. He can barely use Windows.

Look, I know, I use Ubuntu myself sometimes but I'm sure dad would just struggle with Linux. He can barely use Windows.
    Just put firefox fullscreen on the Startup Programs, with Google as the homepage.

I have thought of doing similar things for my parents, but the number of issues that I have to resolve about e-mail alone seems to hint I shouldn't do anything like that.... lol.

But to be fair they've improved a lot, one much less than the other though.... lol.

I have thought of doing similar things for my parents, but the number of issues that I have to resolve about e-mail alone seems to hint I shouldn't do anything like that.... lol.

But to be fair they've improved a lot, one much less than the other though.... lol.
    Stick a DDNS on their router and admin the computer by SSH!

Somini.... I don't even know what that means :P

Somini.... I don't even know what that means :P
    You install Linux with your admin credentials, and then create other accounts for whoever's using the PC. You can configure the router to tell it's dynamic IP to a service that turns that into a domain name, like
    Code:
    rockman29_family.no-ip.com
    . You then open port 22 on the router and reroute it to the PC. Then, from your own pc, you can just
    Code:
    ssh adminaccount@rockman29_family.no-ip.com
    and you have full access to the computer. There's also other things to do like SSH password disabling and setting up private keys, and you too can be a Unix sysadmin neckbeard.

Now that I wrote it down it seems harder than I imagined...

Seriously, thanks for the ideas, but again - I'd love to do it but there's simply no reason to install Linux as the laptop is working well and dad does not want another OS.
    So what you proposed is basically having Firefox as the desktop?

Seriously, thanks for the ideas, but again - I'd love to do it but there's simply no reason to install Linux as the laptop is working well and dad does not want another OS.
    So what you proposed is basically having Firefox as the desktop?
    Poor man's Chrome OS. Of course, it depends on how your dad uses the PC. It suffices for a lot of people.
    Network Settings and similar can be handled just like in Windows, but if the laptop doesn't roam a lot between different networks, the learning curve is pretty much non-existent.

I was looking into a Chromebook for my parents, because that definitely all they do.

Problem when I was looking the price ranged from like $199 to $1199 or something, with no products inbetween... lol. So I got a Samsung with an A10 for $499 :P

The ChromeOS idea is actually a neat one, for people who only really use a PC for browsing. Thanks.
    Well yeah, same boat here rockman, wanted to get a cheap new laptop for dad, but when for 100 bucks more (ie 360 EUR) I got myself a relatively powerful new laptop everything else is a bit of a gimmick.
    I'm transfering data between the two PCs now, everything seems smooth and the new lappy is an improvement under every aspect compared to the old one.

The ChromeOS idea is actually a neat one, for people who only really use a PC for browsing. Thanks.
    Well yeah, same boat here rockman, wanted to get a cheap new laptop for dad, but when for 100 bucks more (ie 360 EUR) I got myself a relatively powerful new laptop everything else is a bit of a gimmick.
    I'm transfering data between the two PCs now, everything seems smooth and the new lappy is an improvement under every aspect compared to the old one.
    I really think the ChromeOS is great idea, not to me though. At least Boot2Gecko is progressing...