Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

It looks like you're accessing this thread from a different computer

Please solve at least 2 significant mathematical conundrums before reading further...

No - seriously - try the square-root on -1 as a starter...

No - go on now!

Seriously, why is this nonsense (Steam, Humble and others are adopting this shit) being foist upon us from all directions???

It's bad enough that we're required to remember a million userids and passwords, it's borderline criminal that websites demand a sensitive security item (your DoB) just to "prove your age"(*) - what the fuck is this (not really very accurate) concept of "same PC"???

Steam and Humble are both convinced I own at least 50 computers - I've carefully named them things like "ITSTHESAMEFUCKINGPC" or "YOURSECURITYISSHIT" or "GOFUCKYOURSELF" in the hope they'll get the hint but it just keeps on asking...

It's not security - it's annoyance pretending to be security - everyone involved with it needs to get a job more suited to their talents like - erm - Busboy or Street Sweeper.

On 2nd thoughts, not those - they need a bit of talent which anyone who thinks a browser cookie or - GOD forbid - an IP address is a meaningful way of identifying 'same PC'.

p.s. yeah, yeah, I'm just jealous I don't get paid for being shit at my job - yeah, yeah ;0

(*) does anyone answer those honestly? If so, you're a massive idiot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    It's like a shitty version of SSH, except you don't really know where the private key is nor what are its permissions. To be honest, on Windows it doesn't really matter, the permission are constantly broken.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Has a webmaster, I hate all the stupid laws the EU approve about messages about cookies and that shit.
    Last edited by Tei; 23-07-2014 at 06:03 PM.

Yeah, I never understood that either. I thought it's about identifying a user. Who cares if it's the same PC or not. That's the whole point of the internet: Accessing information or a service from any machine connected to it. Or something like that :D

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    (*) does anyone answer those honestly? If so, you're a massive idiot
    Yes, I'm totally born January 1st in whatever age more than 18 I happen to scroll to.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Has a webmaster, I hate all the stupid laws the EU approve about messages about cookies and that shit.
    Yeah. They'd have a point, if you couldn't configure your browser as you wish. But you can, so this is a stupid law just to allow stupid people to keep being stupid. That's mean, I know, but you're not allowed to drive a car either without learning the traffic laws.

I kind of like the Steam thing though. It sure is annoying, but it prevents abuse in combination with Family Sharing, for example. If it was account based instead, you couldn't prevent people from giving access to your games from each and every PC without consulting you first.

Activated Node
    The whole point is to see if your login credentials have been compromised and some evil hacker guy is accessing your account and making you buy games from not-a-bundles in case those are stored on your steam account and stuff (hell, you can now use paypal on steam without paypal asking your credentials, argh). Its kinda annoying that different web browsers classify as a different computer on steam, but NATs and shit can be blamed on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alevice View Post
    The whole point is to see if your login credentials have been compromised and some evil hacker guy is accessing your account and making you buy games from not-a-bundles in case those are stored on your steam account and stuff (hell, you can now use paypal on steam without paypal asking your credentials, argh). Its kinda annoying that different web browsers classify as a different computer on steam, but NATs and shit can be blamed on that.
    As I said, PKI with an hidden file. If the key generation was reliable you could just use that key to authenticate but people prefer passwords.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    Yes, I'm totally born January 1st in whatever age more than 18 I happen to scroll to.
    I was TOTALLY born on 4th of July 1984. Because why not?

Other thing, why is this thread here? Should be "Other Stuff", "Tech Help" is stretching it.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Steamguard can be turned off, at least. I haven't had a lot of issues with it though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Not nearly as annoying as the Steam website thinking I'm from a different country every time I visit it. Today it was Italian, previous visits have defaulted to Polish, German and Dutch versions of the site.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Other thing, why is this thread here? Should be "Other Stuff", "Tech Help" is stretching it.
    It's not asking for help and it's not technical and it's not "Other Stuff" because it's game related (as much as our endless bundle/bargain/game pricing/social stuff is really)

My general rule for a thread is "if people are replying to it - it's fine" - unless the replies are all 'this is OT' perhaps ;0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    Steamguard can be turned off, at least. I haven't had a lot of issues with it though.
    I'd do that but I just know it would end-up exploding or something ;0

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Not nearly as annoying as the Steam website thinking I'm from a different country every time I visit it. Today it was Italian, previous visits have defaulted to Polish, German and Dutch versions of the site.
    So it's not just me then? A real nuisance - can't see any logical cause for it.

You can't really blame Blizzard, Valve ect for the annoying crap they have to throw at us. The whole 'change your password every 5 minutes and verify that your PC is still your PC' mess is to be blamed on those people who give out their passwords/info in various phishing scams. Those people do very much exist and the corporations need to cover their asses and be able to say it was the users fault when their account gets 'hacked'. It's not actually hacked if you are just dumb enough to have given your password away freely. The amount of times accounts with big name services actually gets hacked into is quite low and generally happens en masse with a big media fallout that everyone hears about and panics over.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I did a little test and logged in via a browser, Steam asked me to verify it and and detected my location as Stockholm which is wrong, but at least in the right country. My download region in the Steam client (which is all in English) is set to Denmark (which is closer than Stockholm so that makes sense). My location on my profile is Gothenburg, Sweden, which is correct. So I log in via the browser I just approved and the store and info pages are in slightly wonkily translated Swedish, the community and account pages are in Italian and the support pages are in English.

First of all, I don't want to read things in a wonkily translated version of my own language. English is fine. I explicitly changed the language to English in the client and have done so several times on the website. Everyone in Scandinavia over the age of 9 has passable English skills, so what's even the point? My Italian however is shockingly bad. No thanks, I'd rather not "modifica del profilo". It sounds unhygienic. And then the support page, i.e. the page where people might go if they feel a little confused, say because they don't speak bloody Italian, is in English.

I guess this is just some technical cock-up, but part of me wonders if this is how Americans really think Europe works.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Check out the Swedish translations of L4D2 and TF2 if you dare. The achievement names in particular are extraordinary.

It's funny you all should bring up language problems in Steam, I've been experiencing them for quite a while now. I have everything in Steam set to English, and English only. Despite that, I still get pages that are half in English, and half in Dutch. It's always unpredictable which parts of a page will be in what language, I've seen plenty of pages in the Steam store where the game description is in English, and the system requirements are in Dutch.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    Yeah, I never understood that either. I thought it's about identifying a user. Who cares if it's the same PC or not. That's the whole point of the internet: Accessing information or a service from any machine connected to it. Or something like that :D
    Hacks happen easily if you allow login from any pc. Very easily...
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think some people don't understand english. So when you get a visitor, you try to check what language will be ok for that person.

Just now my browser request pages to the server with this data in the request:
    Accept-Language:es-ES,es;q=0.8,en;q=0.6,gl;q=0.4

This mean that I am a 80% favorable to receive spanish, 60% english and 40% gallego (?) (I may be reading this wrong, I have not checked the syntax of accept language).

It well configure server will probably serve me spanish first. But if theres a language setting somewhere else, it may try to honor that other setting. Like a global profile.

The real problems come when you want your UI to be in spanish, but the content in english.

Stuff like tags in steam are unfunny in spanish (pure informational, no jokes) but theres a much better english tags. It seems that I can't have the UI in spanish, and the content in english. Also, If I set the UI to english, I will probably get the english voices in games .... If I remember correctly, they take the language from that.

Good thing: now games have a option to explicit the language, so in a game where voices are atrocious translated to spanish, I can change then to english.

Is true that languages are a complex thing, and multiple servers make things hard quick. And is true that people in USA are still learning about this, except the biggest corporations, and even them, make multilanguage mistakes, and theres whole countries where they fail. I think it will take more years for the USA companies to learn enough of all of this, so the multilanguage support from USA companies become decent. Anyway is still a hard problem to solve, so I think people has to expect to get content/UI in the wrong language sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Hacks happen easily if you allow login from any pc. Very easily...
    Except that it is allowed to log in from any PC.
    But instead of logging in once with my username and password, I also have to log into my email account to get a 'special access code' or something. I can't imagine that this additional step significantly slows down an attacker who apparently already knows my login credentials.
    But maybe I just don't understand how that is supposed to work...

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Good thing: now games have a option to explicit the language, so in a game where voices are atrocious translated to spanish, I can change then to english.
    And still I only get a horribly translated version of Fallout 3 because Germany...