Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Shooter Lovers, Would You Jump Ship If a Console Officially Support WSAD+Mouse?

I don't know why but no game console supports mouse+keyboard. I love shooters, and I've tried gamepad on shooters like Gears of War and was not satisfactory with the performance on input. I am aware that a very few console shooters (I can only name Counter-Strike Global sth and Unreal Tournament 3 PS version as examples) support so, but most do not.

I think the graphic performance differential between the two platforms these days has been narrowed enough to tempt many PC shooter lovers to jump ship. I for one am still waiting for playing console shooter with mouse+keyboard.

So what exactly prevent Sony and MS from permitting so? Would you jump ship too if you are allowed to play shooters on their platforms with mouse+keyboard?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No. I'm having a hard time thinking why I would ever use a console other than exclusives. I might jump ship if a console had a default controller that had the comfort / speed / efficiency of using a mouse with the range of motion of an analog stick (rather than keyboard). I would probably just buy the same controller for PC though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    *yawns* it's the 'antlers on a greyhound' argument again

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    *yawns* it's the 'antlers on a greyhound' argument again
    Look, if it satisfies EU regulations, there's nothing wrong with me calling them venison sausages.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Nah, because what features they could once boast (a certain ease of plug and play, split screen multiplayer, etc) have been gradually eroded in favour of them just becoming bad PCs. I've got a good PC, I don't require a bad one.

I'm most swayed by Nintendo's efforts, since say what you like about them, they're at least offering something that isn't just the same stuff as everyone else. It is admittedly, the same stuff as themselves, over and over and over again, but at least I'd have little overlap between my PC and console library if I had one of them, instead of the consoles having generally a smaller and worse replica of the PC selections.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    ... I start to prefer console just because of the much lower hardware price, I hope that won't make you guys laugh. But that's what console's value lies on to begin with.

Especially since the PC game price has inflated to be same level of console games. So why should I remain loyal to PC gaming? My ATI HD4870 has been too obsolete to play any new games with satisfactory graphics.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    ... I start to prefer console just because of the much lower hardware price, I hope that won't make you guys laugh. But that's what console's value lies on to begin with.
    Nah, that's perfectly fair. If I was operating under the sort of budget I used to, I'd be more willing to have a console, because if it's that or nothing, I'll have the something. I'm only fortunate not to be in that position any more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nah, that's perfectly fair. If I was operating under the sort of budget I used to, I'd be more willing to have a console, because if it's that or nothing, I'll have the something. I'm only fortunate not to be in that position any more.
    Before tablets became the norm, I used a PC. If I had to choose between a £100 graphics card, or a £200+ games console, it was cheaper for me to use the pc and a graphics card.

Now people (and me) use tablets for most internet and other tasks, I could use a console for games... except the tablet already does casual games... so I only consider an alternative for more hardware tasking games.

Which brings me up to, KSP, Space Engineers, Simcity (4, I'd never touch 5! :P) and lots of other games you just cannot get on console, and would kill the hardware.

IMO, it's lose lose for consoles. But for those without a tablet, or those without the need for a pc (either work or hardware intensive sim games), consoles have this little sweet spot.
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 21-07-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Before tablets became the norm, I used a PC. If I had to choose between a £100 graphics card, or a £200+ games console, it was cheaper for me to use the pc and a graphics card.

Now people (and me) use tablets for most internet and other tasks, I could use a console for games... except the tablet already does casual games... so I only consider an alternative for more hardware tasking games.

Which brings me up to, KSP, Space Engineers, Simcity (4, I'd never touch 5! :P) and lots of other games you just cannot get on console, and would kill the hardware.

IMO, it's lose lose for consoles. But for those without a tablet, or those without the need for a pc (either work or hardware intensive sim games), consoles have this little sweet spot.
    That's where I'm at only I didn't spring for the tablet architecture because I still needed a fairly competent PC/laptop anyway and buying a console would cost as much or less compared to leaping from what I would have otherwise bought and my current gaming rig. Add to that savings on games themselves due to the digital sales extravaganza and consoles aren't a bargain for me at all.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Especially since the PC game price has inflated to be same level of console games.
    Has it? I don't know how it is on China, but here in Brazil console games still usually cost at least 1.5x more as PC ones, often 2x more or even worse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Has it? I don't know how it is on China, but here in Brazil console games still usually cost at least 1.5x more as PC ones, often 2x more or even worse.
    Not to mention the gloriously discounted sales PC games get.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Network Hub
    I wouldn't. I originally didn't get into PCs because of the M&K/gamepad divide. They are just entirely too linear for my taste.

On my PC I have access to games like Arma 3, Red Orchestra 2, and Counter Strike. I also have access to mods, Steam, Itunes, and anything I need for work. All of this in one box.

Also I can play the original FEAR while watching The International thanks to dual screens.

Edit: Although I do own a Wii and am looking at a WiiU. Nintendo at least turns out unique stuff.
    Last edited by Wengart; 21-07-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    For what it's worth, there are a few PS3 shooters with kb/m support. I bought a PS3 for DUST 514 (paid £35 for it, got what I deserved cos I had to spend another £110 getting it working), and I haven't booted it up for ages. No need to switch tbh.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    As Mickygor points out there's been some fps games and mmos which have let you plug in a keyboard and mouse to play with. Personally I wouldn't play a shooter on a console with keyboard and mouse because most of the shooters I play on there I play in lazy mode and it's nice playing with a controller. Playing the Destiny beta right now and the shooting controllers just feel great.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Yes.. But I have other requirements. Dedicated servers are a requirement for anything over 3 vs 3. Players must have IP connection option without a sign in* and the ability to host servers on their own hardware* and the ability to mod* and administrate* servers.

Then I'd go console for FPS/TPS.

*Never going to happen.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

The original Sony Playstation had an official mouse accessory and you could even play X-Com with it. In fact, there was a surprisingly large amount of PC-y titles available for it, including Final Doom, Quake 2, Myst or Command & Conquer. Did it ever take off? Obviously not or otherwise Halo probably wouldn't have had such an impact on the console landscape. It would be interesting to hear what a Sony representative of that time has to say about it, though.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Network Hub
    No, never. I need a PC, so why shouldn't I just put a proper GPU in it so I can play games with it? I have mine hooked up to the TV and can play with a gamepad. With Big Picture I even get a similar UI to manage game with and start them from. What else is there? Exclusives, yes. I admit some of them are tempting, but then again there are already more games on PC than I have time to play, so no big deal.

I pretty much only use my console for NHL 14 these days. I would have to move my console to my desk to even play games with kb+m, and I prefer to play console games from the couch.

No option to change the FOV (in game or by .ini-tweaking) means I won't be playing the game. 65 FOV is just sickening!

I wouldn't jump ship.
    It would be a boon if I could use kb/m on my lads living room Xbox though.
    I gave up on Red Dead Redemption and GTAV because I just can't get to grips with wiggly thumb sticks...can't do it. Tried. Can't.