Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Lol, squirrel, you sure toss some crazy ideas now and then. Not that it is bad in itself ;)

PC is much more than just the control scheme. So no, I would not. Why would why?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Even if the consoles would, somehow, gloriously provide many many advantages over PC and negate any disadvantage with the PC they currently have, I still would not switch.
    The simple reason being that all my games are on the PC.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBen View Post
    Before tablets became the norm, I used a PC. If I had to choose between a £100 graphics card, or a £200+ games console, it was cheaper for me to use the pc and a graphics card.

Now people (and me) use tablets for most internet and other tasks, I could use a console for games... except the tablet already does casual games... so I only consider an alternative for more hardware tasking games.

Which brings me up to, KSP, Space Engineers, Simcity (4, I'd never touch 5! :P) and lots of other games you just cannot get on console, and would kill the hardware.

IMO, it's lose lose for consoles. But for those without a tablet, or those without the need for a pc (either work or hardware intensive sim games), consoles have this little sweet spot.
    That's where I'm at only I didn't spring for the tablet architecture because I still needed a fairly competent PC/laptop anyway and buying a console would cost as much or less compared to leaping from what I would have otherwise bought and my current gaming rig. Add to that savings on games themselves due to the digital sales extravaganza and consoles aren't a bargain for me at all.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    Lol, squirrel, you sure toss some crazy ideas now and then. Not that it is bad in itself ;)

PC is much more than just the control scheme. So no, I would not. Why would why?
    It's a flexible platform for general computing, something even consoles are gradually morphing into anyway. Very gradually.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    The games on the consoles are designed around controllers, it's not really a big deal anyway, for most people also.

The DS4 is a vast improvement in aiming though, it feels completely different playing FPS on PS4.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Lately it depends for me - if the game has no mod support (or mod support is entirely inconsequential) then I'm more likely to pick things up on a console these days. For everything else, I have my PC. Mod support is almost irrelevant for the vast majority of FPS games these days (actually, it's almost irrelevant for most games in general now) so apart from better graphics, I'm roughly getting the same experience from my PC as my PS4 for most multi-platform AAA games (my rig is only powerful enough to play at 1080p at a comfortable FPS, plus I don't have a 4k monitor anyway)... except I don't have to screw around getting crap ports to work.

There are some exceptions where mod support is paramount to the game (like Skyrim) but for most others, it's just nowhere near as important as it used to be.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    People always seem to boil the PC vs Console 'war' down to controls or number of graphics. I can't say I've ever chosen based on either of those factors.

I started gaming on PC because I had a PC for other things. I continued on PC because I had a PC for other things, and because I knew more about PCs. (And because in my youth, I figured: Consoles = cheap hardware but expensive games. PC = expensive hardware + free copies of games.)

Then when I was working and single and had more disposable income, I got kind of burned out on PC games and I picked up a console or two, and I picked up how to play games with a gamepad in about a day and could quite happily enjoy shooters. It was refreshing for a few years because console games and gaming had a different vibe. (sitting on a couch, different genres and characters dominant, etc..).

Then I moved to Japan and I couldn't ship my consoles, so I bought a laptop and ended up on PC again... and it was refreshing again because I'd taken a break and it felt fresh.. and that coincided with the rise in digital distribution (which helps a lot for buying games when overseas) and indie games.

So I can't say I've ever really consciously 'picked a side' and I can't really understand those who do. I play mainly on PC now, but I'd happily play on console if I had one to hand. I play mainly with M&Kb, but I can happily use a controller when it's better (for some genres - on PC or console).

If I didn't use my PC for so many other things, now that consoles can play videos, etc.. I might well pick one up because of the lower cost and lack of hassle.

The control scheme or relative power of the console is unlikely to play ANY part in that choice though.

A few years ago, I might have done so to a certain extent, though not have really ditched the PC like some people would have. However, since then, due to many screw ups on the part of both Sony and Microsoft. I have pretty much ditched the consoles in favor of the PC, so not even high profile exclusives are enough to lure me back, even though that's what mainly enticed me to buy a PS3 in the first place in 2010.

I found the kb/m support of Valkyria Chronicles to be pretty decent, although the lack of anti-aliasing did put a bit of a damper on my overall enthusiasm for it.

I see the consoles may be cheaper, however the lack of upgradability, among many other factors, including the fact that Sony and Microsoft really pissed me off in a multitude of ways (i.e.: The way Sony handled the PSN network breech in 2011 for one) means as long as I hold a disdain of them, not even the likes of great kb/m compatibility would be enough to sway me back. That Xbox One debacle last year only served to reinforce my views.

Still, as much as I hate M$ on many things, would it hurt for them to make the Xbox One controller Bluetooth compatible? Or at least have it work with the wireless Xbox 360 controller dongle?
    Last edited by sovietmisaki; 22-07-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Network Hub
    Shooter Lovers, Would You Jump Ship If a Console Officially Support WSAD+Mouse?
    No. Not that i'm an FPS fan even. But nothing would make me want a new console now or in the future.

Why? Well a large part has been my growing disconnect with AAA gaming over the last decade, and that is directly tied into the rise to dominance of console gaming in the AAA space, most AAA PC games are now ports of consoles games, and that has it's disadvantages. Everything from a games design to it's GUI to the often used 'dumbing down' phrase, all have impacted on the reason i play computer games.

Also it has driven a very narrow focus on 'graphics over gameplay' (well in-truth over everything else in a games design), and that has hurt 'games' in general. We have a raft of very nice looking, but often ultimately shallow games on the store shelves, most of them AAA titles, most of them console games, with ported PC versions.

So no, consoles had their moment for me, back in the N64 era etc, but the last consoles i ever bought (and will ever buy) were the Xbox, GC and PS2. After that the games (the most important part of why we game) went rapidly downhill in general, and even the best ones of this modern era suffer from all the issues i mentioned above in one form or another.

Dude Bro gaming is just not interesting. Which is why i see myself being a PC gamer from here on, and mostly of Indie and 'AA' games (kickstarter etc), with less AAA in my purchases, and it's been that way for a good few years now. I've never been happier with my platform and choice of games to play and experience. RIP consoles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The original Sony Playstation had an official mouse accessory and you could even play X-Com with it. In fact, there was a surprisingly large amount of PC-y titles available for it, including Final Doom, Quake 2, Myst or Command & Conquer.
    Or Warcraft, Populous and Civilization. Or King's Field series where you had 3D open world without any loading screen between locations. PSX was one hell of gaming rig.

I feel little sad for gamers who doesn't buy consoles (if they can afford them) just because. They just miss shitloads of really, really great games.

Funfact - shooters can be enyojable on gamepads. Go play Black (PS2).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I miss loads of really, really great games on PC despite owning one. The last thing I would want to do is expand that.

That being said I really want a new 3DS
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Even if the consoles would, somehow, gloriously provide many many advantages over PC and negate any disadvantage with the PC they currently have, I still would not switch.
    The simple reason being that all my games are on the PC.
    This, plus the fact that I already own a PC, whereas I'd have to buy a console. (I do sometimes eventually buy consoles to play their exclusives, but not until they drop to a reasonable price: usually a year or two after they've become "last gen". I still haven't got a console from the last generation, partly because I never finished working my way through the PS2-era exclusives...)

I mean, I'm much more comfortable with mouse+keyboard, or even a "simple" joystick, than with modern controllers... but that's not really the reason I don't own current gen consoles.

i am another lovers of shooters play, this thread is informative

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    People always seem to boil the PC vs Console 'war' down to controls or number of graphics. I can't say I've ever chosen based on either of those factors.

I started gaming on PC because I had a PC for other things. I continued on PC because I had a PC for other things, and because I knew more about PCs. (And because in my youth, I figured: Consoles = cheap hardware but expensive games. PC = expensive hardware + free copies of games.)

Then when I was working and single and had more disposable income, I got kind of burned out on PC games and I picked up a console or two, and I picked up how to play games with a gamepad in about a day and could quite happily enjoy shooters. It was refreshing for a few years because console games and gaming had a different vibe. (sitting on a couch, different genres and characters dominant, etc..).

Then I moved to Japan and I couldn't ship my consoles, so I bought a laptop and ended up on PC again... and it was refreshing again because I'd taken a break and it felt fresh.. and that coincided with the rise in digital distribution (which helps a lot for buying games when overseas) and indie games.

So I can't say I've ever really consciously 'picked a side' and I can't really understand those who do. I play mainly on PC now, but I'd happily play on console if I had one to hand. I play mainly with M&Kb, but I can happily use a controller when it's better (for some genres - on PC or console).

If I didn't use my PC for so many other things, now that consoles can play videos, etc.. I might well pick one up because of the lower cost and lack of hassle.

The control scheme or relative power of the console is unlikely to play ANY part in that choice though.
    Nice post, also nice travel history :P

I also don't understand the little narrative between the lines in this thread. There shouldn't be so much PC vs. console. It's so tired already.

But I'm also happy to see many posters are not participating in that too :)
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Or Warcraft, Populous and Civilization. Or King's Field series where you had 3D open world without any loading screen between locations. PSX was one hell of gaming rig.

I feel little sad for gamers who doesn't buy consoles (if they can afford them) just because. They just miss shitloads of really, really great games.

Play Destiny! Fantastic game :)

Any shooter on the PS4 really, the controller is just so much better <3

Also in a similar vein to the bolded, when Jack Tretton left PlayStation earlier this year, he has also been claiming he is surprised how much gaming content is *not* on PlayStation.

The reverse is also true :)
    Last edited by rockman29; 22-07-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    You mean EA's Black? While its graphics is outstanding, gameplay is not so in my opinion.

I do know some console shooters like Halo and Unreal Championship 2 (most happen to be Xbox exclusive for good reason: Xbox's selling point is shooter to begin with) very enjoyable on gamepad by rewarding techniques other than precision.

There's some nice articles on CVG now about how Bungie went about bringing a great shooter experience to console.

One of the big things I think was having a 2 weapon system, and easy way to throw grenades. I don't actually remember which controller I used to play on the Xbox (only played Halo on Xbox once tbh hehe). Plays and looks best on PC with a DS4 anyway :D

Network Hub

Sure, but there's as many really great games that only get PC releases, especially in the Indies.

I mostly feel sad that exclusives on any platform exist - every platform seems to have some subset of games that only exist on that platform alone, and this just means that in order to just have the capacity to play all of the great games for an era, you'd have to buy 2 or 3 platforms, as well as the games for them. The pointless "console v console v PC" trichotomy enforced by marketing on all sides is caustic to gamers and to the maximisation of people actually being able to experience the best that the industry can produce.

My approach to this is to accept that with the industry the way it is, I'm not prepared to lay out something like a thousand pounds every generation just to buy in to all of the platforms on release. It seems more reasonable to accept that you're going to miss some exclusives on release because of pointless capitalist thinking by publishers/console manufacturers, and come back to them 5, or 10, years later when the generation is old, and affordable.
    I'll be buying an Xbox360 or PS3 when they drop below £50 a unit, and then there'll be tons of exclusives to work through from the entire back catalogue, also at a very affordable price.
    (Meanwhile, I have the PS2 back catalogue to still work through, and many many PC games in existence.)

Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    Sure, but there's as many really great games that only get PC releases, especially in the Indies.

My approach to this is to accept that with the industry the way it is, I'm not prepared to lay out something like a thousand pounds every generation just to buy in to all of the platforms on release. It seems more reasonable to accept that you're going to miss some exclusives on release because of pointless capitalist thinking by publishers/console manufacturers, and come back to them 5, or 10, years later when the generation is old, and affordable.
    Indeed. A lot of my favorite games are on consoles--Smash Brothers 64/Melee and Yoshi's Island come to mind--but I'm not about to fork out for every console every generation just to make sure I don't miss something.

Well the economy of it ain't too bad, at least not as bad as it seems to be said here.

I bought a PS3 at like $299, has lasted me 4.5 years now. That's about.... $75 a year or less. Bought a PS4 at launch for $399... not expecting it to crap out, but assuming the generation lasts at least 5 years it's not a bad investment at all.

I mean spending isn't even really the issue for me. I want to play the games, and having a PS4 and a PC is simply the best way to get the ones I want. Every PC game, every PlayStation game, and every multiplatform game on any platform is available. For me that's the spectrum of access I'm willing to pay for. My PC + $400, not a bad bet honestly.

Gaming can be an expensive hobby on PC or consoles, but if you want it enough, you will buy it. It's not really a matter of "this extra $200 is just so unreasonable. Because it's not, if you want it.

It's a matter of what you're willing to pay for, not whether the economy of it is good. The economy of it is all just varying degrees of slightly better to not so good.

Same goes for my PS Vita. Bought it for $160 near launch (yep), and it's still a big sum of money any way you slice it, but I wanted it for its library and the mobility. I enjoy the Remote Play function a lot, so for me it's a great deal. It's hard to communicate how fun a next-gen console in your hands can be. And those graphics on a 5-inch OLED are pretty damn stunning.

If you only have a PC it's probably because you just don't want a console. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't make the economy of buying a console a poor standard.

Network Hub
    no, but I might buy a few more console exclusives than I usually do if they had proper control schemes

it would still be pointless for serious FPS play. consoles games have really crappy framerates a lot of input lag and very narrow fov